Fighting the urge !!!

Options
Hi everyone im Liz ,

I just stumbled on to this website yesterday and decided that it would be the perfect way to help keep track of my progress. I only seem to be having one BIG issue so far . I cant stop thinking about food !! I am recently unemployed and now have a huge amount of time on my hands , the only problem is I get bored and when that happens I start thinking about eating. Im not even hungry most of the time its just kinda something to do.

How do you guys deal with this ?? Any suggestions would help I really dont want all the hard work im doing to be messed up cause I couldnt fight the urge to eat when I wasnt even hungry.

Replies

• MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    a couple things you can do is drink water instead of eating or go for a walk or do a quick exercise if you can. Another thing call a friend it should take your mind off eating and you shouldn't be bored.
  • litisha
    litisha Posts: 15
    Options
    i think about food all of the time too girl!!! in order to avoid over eating i leave my house whenever i have free time or i buy my food on a weekly basis...i figure if im going ot overdue it at home at least i can over eat on fruits and vegetables!!!
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    Work out. If you're bored and have nothing to do, then use that time to work out (there's lots of DVDs that you can do from home, no gym needed). For one, it will make you feel better; two, it will kill time; and three, if you do eat, your workout calories will help offset what you eat. Find somewhere to go hiking, biking, etc., as that always helps too :)

Another thing would be to volunteer time at a local food shelter, animal shelter, Habitat for Humanity, etc., as those are also great time burners and keeps you busy! Wish I had more time to do those; I've always had fun helping with those.

EDIT: How could I forget my FAV activity when I'm bored: READING!! Find a good book that will keep your attention and you won't even notice you're hungry. In fact, on weekends I sometimes have to use an alarm (or my husband :wink: ) to remind me to eat otherwise I'd read right through lunch! :bigsmile:
  • missyt78
    missyt78 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    hiya :O)

i also have this problem liz... boredom is my worst enemy with the nibbling... well that and facebook lol

I have been trying to ignore it.. but sometimes if the desire to eat is bad i find brushing my teeth for the full 3mins is a good way to forget bout it. As well as having clean teeth.. im lesss likely to eat straight away... the urge goes away too..

Also i watched a little of Paul Mckenna.. i can make you thin.. it involves tapping the pressure points every time you think about eating.. it allows us to detatch ourselves from the boredom/emotional eating and focus on real hunger.. im sure if you check out youtube, you will find it there if you have a bit of time free to watch :O)

Love and light
    nikki x
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Most of the time you're not even hungry, just bored. So find something to do.

Try this: next time you're chilling out at the place and you think about gnoshing on something you don't need, try to think of one thing you've been putting off. One little chore, one friend you were going to call, one little something that needs fixed,,, and do it. Just get up off your butt and go do it.

Most of us have plenty to do, we're just lazy or thoughtless of we tend to procrastinate... Well, procrastinating just gives us more time to eat. Try this, it's neat, kind'a fun, and it gets stuff done.
  • JJRunning
    JJRunning Posts: 146
    Options
    I agree with the other ladies... try to find something else to do! I often clean my house when I'm bored... being bored is my worst enemy too! I recently realized as long as I'm doing something... anything... I can avoid over eating!
  • Sarah_LM
    Sarah_LM Posts: 96
    Options
    I find that the same thing happens to me and people would say exercise instead and I'd think "that will never work"! But if you exercise til you are absolutely exhausted and red in the face, it'll make you really thirsty but you'll be so tired and have loads of endorphins running around your body so won't feel like eating. I eat my allocated food and then if I'm hungry I drink til I'm full and do yoga, as it takes a lot of concentration and I forget about eating.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Glad you agree JJ,,, but I'm not a lady :bigsmile:
    ,,, if I'm hungry I drink til I'm full and do yoga, as it takes a lot of concentration and I forget about eating.
    Hang on,,, you drink 'til you're full, and then do yoga and it takes a lot of concentration. Are you concentrating on not wetting your pants?!?! :noway: :laugh: :bigsmile: Hehehe,,, I kill me. Sorry. :blushing:
  • ♥GymBarbie♥
    Options
    I pop a sugar free lifesaver (Walmart $1.44 bag)... they take forever to dissolve and are seriously yummy!

Another thing I do is I brush my teeth, this way nothing will taste good! lol

Simple tricks really... but working out and water will suppress the appetite big-time.
  • hamiltonba
    hamiltonba Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    I chew gum.