Running Stretches

laurynbennardo
laurynbennardo Posts: 16
edited September 20 in Fitness and Exercise
I am new to running and I would like to know of some god stretches to do before and after a run. Thanks!

Replies

• ldarter
    ldarter Posts: 131 Member
    First, it is best NOT to stretch before running. Stretching cold, tight muscles is an easy way to pull something. But stretching after running is certainly a good practice. Here are five good runner stretches to get you started.

http://www.halhigdon.com/15Ktraining/Stretch.htm
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    I do yoga stretches after running. It's peaceful and calming. I stretch for about 10 minutes. Don't shortchange yourself on the amount of time spent stretching. :smile:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Before running do dynamic stretching to warm up the muscles; afterwards do static stretches (using static stretches on cold muscles before could cause injury). Dynamic stretches would be jogging in place, jumping jacks, anything to get the heart rate up and the muscles to feel "warm" and kick up a light sweat. Examples of static stretches for after include calf stretches, quad stretches, and the groin/butterfly stretch (you can search these terms in google to find exaples of how to do them). Hope this helps!
  • all4tjs
    all4tjs Posts: 51
    bumpin' it, thanks :)
This discussion has been closed.