Good Budget Protein Powder?

Options
kopmom
kopmom Posts: 491 Member
Any protein powders out there that are good but not super expensive? I am getting back to lifting and will be drinking 2 per day and cannot afford something super expensive. Thanks

Replies

• taylorwaylor
    taylorwaylor Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    I was using the walmart stuff for awhile... Thats the cheapest stuff i know of... I think you should save up for the good stuff and use it sparingly! Wheybolic is soooooo yummy.
  • jayche
    jayche Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    ON Gold Standard Whey, 50$ for 75+ servings if you get the right flavor.
    Walmart stuff ends up being like 50-65$ for the same amount of servings and tastes a lot worse.
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    Dymatize or ON Gold Standard for whey. Syntrax for a blend.

The Walmart stuff has lots of creatine, which I avoid.
  • ars1300
    ars1300 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    If you can handle one flavor for awhile its usally cheaper buying the 5 lb tub. Fan of BSN Syntha 6, Cytosport whey isolate, and Optimal nutrition. I order alot from bodysbestsupplements.com
  • jcasebolt84
    jcasebolt84 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Body Fortress from Walmart. For a long time I was using BSN, ON Gold, and Muscle Milk. Got tired of paying that much money out so I switched to Body Fortress. It's cheaper, blends well, tastes great, and has been working great. I don't think you have to go anywhere else.
  • walklikeaduck
    Options
    MTS Whey
  • jazzguy4him
    Options
    Just bought 3 tubs of Body Fortress on walmart.com for $42.

I think BF is just fine.... I would be curious of other wholesale answers...
  • kopmom
    kopmom Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback
  • jonnythan
    jonnythan Posts: 10,161 Member
    Options
    For people buying Body Fortress, be aware that the stuff is loaded with creatine. That may or may not be something you want. The thing that concerns me about creatine is it's been shown to significantly increase serum DHT levels, and DHT is strongly correlated with a few undesirable things like male pattern baldness.

I prefer to get protein without added creatine.
  • LindseySprake
    LindseySprake Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    If you're in the UK check out www.discount-supplements.co.uk

Optimum Health Ulitmate Whey Protein or Optimum Health Diet Protein. Great Value for money.
  • captndalton
    captndalton Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk or Syntha6

must say, Muscle Milk Graham Cracker is the best tasting whey protein I've ever had, out of at least 30 different brands and flavors. In the end, all of these are really the same thing, sorted to hit different markets and price points. Get something that tastes good.
  • GorillaNJ
    GorillaNJ Posts: 4,052 Member
    Options
    For people buying Body Fortress, be aware that the stuff is loaded with creatine. That may or may not be something you want. The thing that concerns me about creatine is it's been shown to significantly increase serum DHT levels, and DHT is strongly correlated with a few undesirable things like male pattern baldness.

I prefer to get protein without added creatine.

I did not realize it had creatine in it... BONUS!!! I use the Body Fortress all the time... Cookies and Cream flavor is delicious even just mixed with water. However... under no circumstances drink the fruit punch one... at least the pre-mixed one was the nastiest thing I ever tasted in my life.
  • TimSPC
    TimSPC Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I like the Trader Joe's brand. They chocolate is pretty good. It's about $11 for, I think, 16 servings.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    Syntrax Matrix for a blend of quick+medium+sustained protein release. 2lb bag is about $25-$28, 5lb bag is $45 (sometimes cheaper online). 1 scoop of a 5lb bag is about 76 servings.

for information on what's in it
    http://www.si03.com/reg_index.htm

Generally you want Whey Protein instead of Soy Protein, Look at calories, protein, carbs, sugar, sodium. You can use the Syntrax Matrix as a guideline below. If you just want quick release protein they also have Syntrax Nectar which is supposed to be a very nice sweet or dessert flavor.

Each scoop contains about (varies slightly per flavor):
    23 grams of Protein
    1.5 grams of Fat
    2 grams of Carbohydrates
    2 grams of Sugar
    120 Calories
  • WVprankster
    WVprankster Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I generally shoot for any protein powder that's less than ten bucks shipped per pound. So far, I've been using two varieties of Muscle Gauge Nutrition- the chocolate and the chocolate chip. Both mix reasonably and the macro's aren't too bad.
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I have a tub of Body Fortress as well. I large tub of it where I am runs about $25 when you buy it on sale... arounf $35 regular price.

I also buy Muscle Maxx as I prefer the flavour more than the Body Fortress (however I've only tried the chocolate body fortress... not a huge fan).

I also have Weider Peach Mango. It isn't too pricey and I love how it mixes into water and just tastes like juice.

Depending on where you are and how you plan on preparing your shakes you can buy unflavoured powder in bulk usually... When I had that I mixed it with chocolate or vanilla almond milk.
  • lindylemke
    Options
    I just buy mine at Walmart-whey protein. Some nutrition stores say there is a difference in whey proteins, but I pay attention to any sugar added and grams of protein and do fine. I'm surprised how well it mixes in morning coffee-grat substitute for cream/sugar lovers. I usually drink mine black, but this way I get some burning power going right away. Other protein sources are costco for whey or premixed "Premier Protein" drinks. Sometimes is handy to grab one on the go. I like to use the vanilla on oatmeal or cereal so I don't get that carb surge that leaves me shakey at 10 AM. The protein drinks really level my blood sugar and satisfy me.
    Did I mention vanilla protein with diet A&W rootbeer-great for the 4 PM booster. Lindy
  • violinkeri
    Options
    I get the Target brand (market pantry) whey protein chocolate flavored powder. it was like 16 bucks for a giant tub.