Vegan Garbanzo Bean Curry - Slow Cooker Recipe

Options
meagalayne
meagalayne Posts: 3,382 Member
I had a long day and didn't get home until after 7pm, so last night I tossed everything into my Ninja, stored overnight in the fridge, and in the morning assembled and turned it on high for 10 hours. When I got home from a hard workout my house smelled of incredible curry and dinner was ready in under 5 minutes.

And it's Vegan, if you care!

Vegan Garbanzo Bean Curry (adapted from Kalyn's Kitchen recipe - http://www.kalynskitchen.com/2012/02/slow-cooker-recipe-for-vegan-black.html)

Approx 300g (1 1/2 cups) dried garbanzo beans (if you use black garbanzo beans, I think you'll get a better texture but I only had regular ones)
1 medium onion, coarsely chopped
2 roma tomatoes, coarsely chopped
2 tsp. minced ginger root
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 tsp. cayenne pepper
1 1/2 tsp. cumin seeds
1/2 tsp. turmeric
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp. salt (or to taste)

1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 T fresh squeezed lemon juice

Pick over the garbanzo beans, removing any broken ones or debris found in the beans, and wash beans if needed.

Using a food processor, puree together the onion, fresh tomatoes, minced ginger, minced garlic, cayenne, cumin seeds, turmeric, chile powder, and salt. At this stage you can cover and store until morning. Put the paste mixture in the slow cooker with the beans and 3 cups of water and cook on high for 8-10 hours, or until beans are soft. I did not add additional water and actually cut the water down a bit, as I think the regular beans absorb less.

When beans are done, taste for seasoning. You can eat the curry at this point, but I'd recommend mashing about half way with a potato masher for a better consistency. When it's done to your liking, stir in the chopped cilantro and lemon juice. Serve hot, over brown rice or spinach. I would add in the sliced green onions too next time, if I'm not in a big hurry.

For my recipe, Serves 4
Calories 308, 4g fat, 17g protein, 11g fiber.

Terrible pic, but tasty. Had it over spinach, topped with cilantro and a side of multigrain bavarian bread.
IMG_20130220_192503_zps52e72159.jpg

Replies