I WANT TO WORK OUT

Options
Every second of spare time I could be spending at a gym but am sitting on the couch, I feel like I am becoming less fit/more how I used to be. I broke my sesamoid(tiny thing in foot) and am in a boot and the doc said no working out arm machines are ok if I'm sitting, and no walking except what is necessary(which is alot because my campus is huge).
However, if you walk into my gym in a boot they get someone to follow you to make sure you don't touch anything that could cause any stress to leg or foot because they don't want to be liable for anything, and when I tried to go there for arm machines that person was in a clear agitated hurry for me to leave and made me feel bad so I left. Doing just the arm machines doesn't do much for me anyway.

I am doing 20 crunches every commercial break, since I'm supposed to not walk alot all I can do is read and watch tv when I'm not at school.

Anyone have any workout suggestions to maybe get my heart rate up? I have a hula hoop, my foot wouldn't move with that? uhh no jump rope I guess. I want to run or punch a wall or something this is so fustrating.

Replies

• JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    Google "chair workouts" or "seated workouts". I know they're out there. And, you pay for your gym,embers hip, if you want to use some machines, it's on them if they insist on following you around. Don't let them make you feel rushed! But, really, to get in cardio, I'd look up some seated cardio workouts. If all else fails set in a chair, on the edge, and get some good, hard, fast punches going.
  • SJackson50
    SJackson50 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper did something on the Biggest Loser that I think you could work into a good fitness routine. Get a deck of cards and assign each suit an exercise. For you-- boxing moves, push-ups (on your knees), crunches, squats, a static lunge with your arms making running motions (just trying to think of things you can do w/o hurting your foot!). Put on some music, and start flipping the cards. So, when you turn up, say, the 10 of Diamonds, do 10 punches...6 of Spades, do 6 crunches. Go through the entire deck and I think you can get a good workout!
    Good luck and hope your foot gets better soon.
  • victoriavoodoo
    victoriavoodoo Posts: 343 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the suggestions guys, I should try the card thing. And I'm thinking about trying my gym again when a different shift is working and maybe they'll just let me be.

It's so hard to take this injury seriously when there hasn't been pain in weeks. I just want to take the boot off and go do my normal stuff but the word surgery freaks me out so I'm trying to listen to them -.-
  • SJ46
    SJ46 Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    Just be careful and listen to your doctor about staying off your foot. The last thing you want to do is injure it worse and be out longer.

Does your gym have one of those machines where you crank, similar to a bike, with your arms while seated? What about a rope pulling machine? Seated free weights?