Compression Socks for Runners

Options
I am training for my first half marathon. I AM NOT A RUNNER. I am a swimmer, and shouldn't be trying to be athletic on land. Since I am new to this whole running thing I was hoping I could find some advice from others. I am wondering what experiences people have had with running compression socks. Are they worth the money? What differences have you seen?

I am not looking to increase my race performance. I am more interested in them assisting in recovery, or wearing them during runs.

Replies

• Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    I don't find that they do anything at all other than feel kind of good. My calves and shins don't get sore so I can't see any advantage to them.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    I like the way they feel too. Not sure if they help, but I wear them for my longer runs.
  • ThickMcRunFast
    ThickMcRunFast Posts: 22,511 Member
    Options
    I like mine for recovery, but don't wear them during a run unless I'm doing a major downhill, and even then they mostly just make my calves hot.
  • nevareg
    nevareg Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I got compression sleeves from Zensah bc I had shin splints pretty badly. I read everywhere that socks or sleeves help with pain. In my opinion they did, I wear them every time I run and workout in general. Shins are way better i don't really know if it's bc of the sleeves or bc my body is finally getting strong. I say get them, it wouldn't hurt to try it :)
  • RepsnSets
    RepsnSets Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    Ive ripped my calve muscles three times in about five years. My calves are very tight Ive used socks from my physiotherapist and they have helped alot.
  • majope
    majope Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    I also use mine more for recovery than during runs. But I have worn them a few times while running when my calves or achilles felt a little sore, for some extra support.

I have two pair: CEP sleeves (no feet), and Craft full socks. I'd avoided the socks because I thought I wouldn't like compression on my feet, but I got a pair for Christmas and they're surprisingly comfortable.
  • cathyrin13
    Options
    "I am wondering what experiences people have had with running compression socks. Are they worth the money? What differences have you seen?"

Running compression socks are quite uncomfortable though they have great benefits. However there are some brands that you can be comfortable and satisfied. As for me, I am comfortable enough with Jobst athletic socks. It's worth my money and there is an ample room in the heel and toe area for added comfort and an optimal fit. Maybe you can be comfortable with it too, or you can choose other brands. I bought my athletic running socks at Legs Therapy. Here is the link if you are interested: http://www.legstherapy.com/ :)

Hope this helps.
  • jogglesngoggles
    jogglesngoggles Posts: 362 Member
    Options
    I swear by them!! I was having calf pain right before my first 1/2 marathon..I spent $60 on SOCKS!! knowing now what I do, i would have spend 3x that!! I never run without them. The recovery is so much faster and I don't get the pain I used to!!