So what happens after "newbie gains"?

Options
Hi! I've been reading the forum and I've gotten great advice and information on putting together a weight training program. As I've been reading, I've come across the term "newbie gains" several times. From what I understand, if you're not eating above your TDEE and you are weight training, you can gain some muscle initially.

But then what? What if you're eating at your TDEE and weight training but not above your TDEE. Or what happens if you eat below your TDEE and still weight train? Do you lose the progress you made? Do you just stay the same? I'm kind of confused on this one...help!

Replies

• justinegrey
    justinegrey Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    bump.. curious too
  • Flixie00
    Flixie00 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    Dunno, but post is worthy of a bump :wink:
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Eating below TDEE - if you lift at the same weight/intensity or even increase, you could retain most or all of the muscle that you have while losing fat, but some people lose a little muscle. Most guys call it "cutting." You will lose weight.

Eating at TDEE - you may or may not lose any weight. You will very likely retain the muscle you've amassed and if you are still fairly new to training and continuing to up the weight/intensity of your lifts, your body will likely continue recomposition and you will burn fat. This is a long, slow process. Usually, eating at TDEE works best for those who have achieved their body recomp goals and are maintaining.

Eating above TDEE - you will gain muscle and some fat. However, if you are very new to lifting, you might not gain a lot of fat. Lift progressively heavier weights, get to a certain mass, then cut.
  • danasings
    danasings Posts: 8,218 Member
    Options
    Eating below TDEE - if you lift at the same weight/intensity or even increase, you could retain most or all of the muscle that you have while losing fat, but some people lose a little muscle. Most guys call it "cutting." You will lose weight.

Eating at TDEE - you may or may not lose any weight. You will very likely retain the muscle you've amassed and if you are still fairly new to training and continuing to up the weight/intensity of your lifts, your body will likely continue recomposition and you will burn fat. This is a long, slow process. Usually, eating at TDEE works best for those who have achieved their body recomp goals and are maintaining.

Eating above TDEE - you will gain muscle and some fat. However, if you are very new to lifting, you might not gain a lot of fat. Lift progressively heavier weights, get to a certain mass, then cut.

And if you look at this woman's bikini pics, you will see proof that she knows what she's talking about!! She's HOT!! :smokin:
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    You will continue to make strength gains and maintain the muscle you have.
  • 1ConcreteGirl
    1ConcreteGirl Posts: 3,677 Member
    Options

This. Just remember that strength gains are not the same as muscle mass gain.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

This. Just remember that strength gains are not the same as muscle mass gain.
    ^ What they said. Strength gains will continue due to neuromuscular adaptation (basically your nervous system becoming more efficient at utilizing your muscles).