Anything you can tell me about the Foreman Grill...

Options
We bought a George Foreman grill, I've never cooked on one before. I know nothing about them. I tossed some porkchops on there tonight and cooked til I hoped they were done lol.... It was a success, they were tastey and moist! That surprised me the most, the moisture!

So is cooking on the Foreman grills really healthier?
Any cooking suggestions or recipes you can offer?
ANY thing will be a great help!!!!

Thanks in advance!
Sarah

Replies

• livingandlovinglife
    Options
    Hi! I absolutely love my George Foreman grill!!! I love to grill salmon steaks on it! I haven't used it for a while, but I just might have to use it tomorrow because now I'm in the mood for a nice, grilled salmon steak lol!

Deb
  • SailorSarah311
    SailorSarah311 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    That's surprising that your meat was moist. I had a Foreman a long time ago and found that my meat was dried out. If you ever run into that problem just leave the top open. Pretty much anything you put on the grill outside you can put on your Foreman.
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    We had a big George foreman but after a few too many tantrums (my significant other would leave it on the counter until I got angry enough to clean it, if I asked him why he wouldn't clean it he would always say he was planning on using it later)

ANYWAY, after a few too many tantrums we got a smaller one with removable plates (I'm still the only one who cleans it, but at least its easier to clean now) and I absolutely love it! I grill chicken, hamburgers, sausages, peppers, mushrooms, sweet potatoes, anything you would normally cook on a grill!

Heres a video I like on a fast healthy dinner for people watching their health and needing protein:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o7xl2OrL3HA&list=SPiifvwf9Mx_2BUpNf3HOzClCxFD-PYGwm
  • RainHoward
    RainHoward Posts: 1,599 Member
    Options
    First thing to remember is that is cooks twice as fast as what you're use to. I've cooked everything on one. Meat, fish, chicken, pork, veggies.

I have noticed over the years that if you put too much sauce (especially of the BBQ variety) on what you are cooking it will burn the sauce.

When you clean it, clean it warm with water and most of the crud will wipe right off.
  • speedgraphic19
    Options
    I doubt it's significantly healthier, the idea is just that it drains the grease right? Not that different from draining it out of a pan...

But I love my little george foreman. I just use it as an indoor grill, for salmon and sausage and peppers and such. My mom also has one and she makes turkey burgers on them. Sadly I don't have that recipe...
  • SakuraRose13
    SakuraRose13 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    Love ours I use it to make grilled cheese w/o having to butter the bread first.I use it make what is like a pannini I recently used it for pineapple slices and Id imagine it has more uses too.I love it because Im in Ohio and its snowing so no grilling outside.
  • kjoy_
    kjoy_ Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    i love mine! i make grilled cheese on it, you dont need to use any butter on the bread because it is nonstick. i toast most of my lunch meat sandwiches on it, i make quesadillas on it, i eat grilled chicken from the foreman all the time, you can even grill veggies on it.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    Trust me they are fantastic, drains majority of fat right off into the drip tray. My husband and I own 3 small, medium, large, so we can grill for a crowd or just make a single person meal. We both love the Foreman grill
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    It fills up a lot of counter space and I had to hide it because my children never clean it after they make their gooey toasted cheese sandwiches
  • Dcioby73
    Dcioby73 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, I'd definitely invest in a Breville SmartGrill. They're about 275 on Amazon, but it's so much better a product! For starters, it heats up 450 degrees, whereas most Foremans only get to mid 200s. Secondly, it has removable plates. Thirdly, the grease tray is incorporated, instead of a flimsy little detachable one that is a disaster waiting to happen.

I can make eggs on it, paninis, it cooks steaks and chicken to perfection, as well as grilled veggies.

I had a Foreman before, but I never used it, because it was a pain to clean, and the meat kindda had a boiled taste to it, instead of a grilled taste. Perhaps the fact that it never got hot enough to actually grill the meat had something do with it. My Foreman, in fairness, was an entry level one, not one of the more expensive ones.

So yeah, you can't go wrong with Breville. I have their citrus press and their juicer, and both are awesomely made, quality products that I 've used over and over.
  • PunkyRachel
    PunkyRachel Posts: 1,959 Member
    Options
    It fills up a lot of counter space and I had to hide it because my children never clean it after they make their gooey toasted cheese sandwiches

agreed, all 3 of mine go in the cabinet when not in use. I do like how easy they are to clean though.
  • blu_meanie_ca
    blu_meanie_ca Posts: 352 Member
    Options
    You can cook meat from frozen and not burn the outside... although, if you add bbq sauce that will burn. You can put your (frozen) meat on it, season, and goof around on MFP without burning supper. My grandmother discovered that if you try to cook an egg on one it just runs off an makes a terrible mess.
  • JamesBurkes
    JamesBurkes Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    I was disappointed with mine. I found it never cooked anything evenly - bits would be charred and other bits would be slightly undercooked.

Shame, because it is a handy little gadget, especially if you eat a lot of meat.
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I like to use it for cooking steaks, chicken, or burgers. I find it much easier right after you remove the food to take a wet paper towel and wipe it down - obviously be careful not to burn yourself - all of the grease/fat/left over stuff just wipes right off!

I cook a 8oz ribeye for 4 minutes to get a nice medium/rare. 16oz I think is about 6-7 minutes. I usually turn it half way just to get more crust. Sprinkle some Lowery's Seasoning Salt on the steak before cooking and it will be delicious.

I cooked 2 8oz burgers for 4 minutes and they were still relatively juicy and prob medium-well to well done.
  • SoViLicious
    SoViLicious Posts: 2,633 Member
    Options
    I just purchased one and I love it.
  • MrsGenique
    Options
    I love it!!! It works best for my family because we are always on the go, and need things cooked fast and as healthy as possible. You will love it after you realize how many different things you can cook on it! Enjoy!!!

:0)
  • Crystallee79
    Crystallee79 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I loved my Foreman so much that I wore 3 of them out!!! Butterflied chicken is wonderful and moist on there. Also, turkey burgers turn out great! The best part is that the grease or fat from the meat, is pulled away from the meat, so that it's not sitting in it. Grilled pineapple, zucchini and just about anything you can grill outside, can be grilled inside with the GFG. Enjoy!!
  • LadyJos
    Options
    Coming from someone who does not know how to cook - I absolutely love my George!
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    The George Foreman Grill is absolutely amazing. It's important to note though that there's a reason they're so cheap. They do not last forever and you will need to replace it maybe once a year. That being said, however, I will happily keep replacing mine annually because of how much it serves me well. Burgers, chicken, grilled veggies, all get cooked on it.
  • BeccaB1981
    BeccaB1981 Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    I have a large one and I never use it because it's kind of a pain to clean and I was having a problem with it burning the marinade on the chicken. I never knew it was because I was using too much marinade on the chicken! I will have to try it again soon using less marinade. So glad I read this post! I've only made chicken and burgers on it but I definitely want to try some steak on there and some of the other things people have mentioned.