Serving Size

Nlongenecker
Nlongenecker Posts: 765
edited September 20 in Recipes
When a recipe tells you how many servings but not the size of a serving, how do you figure out the serving size? The obvious way is to divide what you made in 4 servings if it is 4. But what if its for more servings?

Replies

• MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    You have to divide it regardless of the size....but its easier to stay away from big dishes in my opinion....Big dishes at my house usually mean I am having a salad and a turkey burger or chicken breast or a lean cuisine...its far to easy to over eat when big dishes are involved and its way to hard to measure.
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    I often just weigh the final product & divide the weight by however many servings I think it is. Then I weigh out an individual serving. If it looks good, I go with it & weigh out all my other servings accordingly.
  • Thanks, I know it was kind of a dumb question...I knew the answer I guess. I was just hoping there was an easier way.
  • cmw72
    cmw72 Posts: 390 Member
    I always have the problem with recipes I find on Sparkrecipes.

They will tell you how many servings you will yield, and how many calories per serving, but never how much 1 serving is.

So yeah, you just have to measure the total weight and divide by the number of servings you expect.

It's a little cumbersome, but it works.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Often, right beside the "1 serving" statement, there will be a "(120g)"--as an example. One ounce is 28 grams, so you can divide 28 into that number of grams and you will know the ounces in one serving. That way, you do not have to weigh the entire container. Just weigh your plate and then add the "(120g)" amount onto it. I love my postal scale. You can weigh in ounces or in grams on it, so you do less math. Our math teachers were right--we did need to learn all that stuff!! ;)
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    That's what I love about All Recipe. You can just write in how many your serving and it calculates the recipe for that plus gives you all your nutritional information. And they have a ton of healthy recipes.
This discussion has been closed.