Body Aftermath

TheKitsune6
TheKitsune6 Posts: 5,798 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
Hey - just looking for some advice...

My plan is to lose a total of over 100lbs (not from here, from my starting point of 232lbs a couple months ago) and I'm concerned with what it going to be left of the weight once I'm done.

I'm talking about excess skin and stretch marks. I'd really like to avoid going through the trouble of losing all the weight and then not be able to show off. Yes, I want to be healthy primarily, but I want to be comfortable with my body too! Has anyone that has experience with losing a lot of weight had similar concerns or problems and has learned what can be done about it? I know skin removal is an option but I know that leaves scars and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks for your time!

Replies

• LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Drink lots of water, slather yourself in lotion on a daily basis, and cross your fingers that you have awesome genes. :laugh:
  • lilchino4af
    lilchino4af Posts: 1,292 Member
    Your skin has a natural elasticity to it; lose weight the correct (slow) way and it will eventually go back to the way it was before. Losing weight too fast is when excess skin becomes an issue. There are also lotions out there that say they help get rid of stretch marks; for those I would say do your research before you buy one. I also agree w/LittleSpy, drinking plenty of water will help your skin in many ways as you lose weight.
  • LittleSpy
    Your skin has a natural elasticity to it; lose weight the correct (slow) way and it will eventually go back to the way it was before. Losing weight too fast is when excess skin becomes an issue.

My understanding is that this is not necessarily true. It will take time to shrink back, so if you lose weight quickly, you're pretty much guaranteed to have very loose skin for at least a while; but there are also plenty of people (many on MFP) who have lost weight slowly and still have saggy/stretched skin after several years.
  • TheKitsune6
    Your skin has a natural elasticity to it; lose weight the correct (slow) way and it will eventually go back to the way it was before. Losing weight too fast is when excess skin becomes an issue.

My understanding is that this is not necessarily true. It will take time to shrink back, so if you lose weight quickly, you're pretty much guaranteed to have very loose skin for at least a while; but there are also plenty of people (many on MFP) who have lost weight slowly and still have saggy/stretched skin after several years.

I thought so too - from my understanding that was only really true if moderate to little amounts of weight were lost as opposed to... massive D:
  • aippolito1
    aippolito1 Posts: 4,894 Member
    I agree with daily lotioning, definitely helps!! I found this lotion my mom gave me and it's amazing. I'm running out & need to get more, but anyway, it's made by Miracle of the Dead Sea and the lotion is called Exotic. You have to rub it in a lot and once it's dry, DON'T rub any more 'cause it gets flaky and gross. I use this on my belly, back, chest and shoulders, arms, legs and usually after I shower post-workout at night and by the morning, my skin is STILL soft. I imagine it's probably $20 or $30 but it's the best lotion I've ever tried!!! I couldn't find it online but I know my mom bought it at the Miracle of the Dead Sea (maybe II?) kiosk at the mall.

I agree! I know a woman though, she lost close to 200 lbs. over a couple years and had a lot of excess skin but she said once she started doing Pilates, it really helped. She did a couple different ones to keep her body guessing.
  • LittleSpy
    I expect to have loose skin but to me it's not that HUGE of a deal. I don't really have any yet, by the way, after 64 pounds.

But, you know, I'd rather have a little loose skin & look AWESOME in my clothes than to have gobs of extra fat! :laugh: I don't think you should let the *possibility* of some loose skin get you down. You won't know until you get there, right? Just do whatever you can think of to prevent it (lotion, drink water, etc) and then whatever happens happens.
  • TheKitsune6
    But, you know, I'd rather have a little loose skin & look AWESOME in my clothes than to have gobs of extra fat!

I hope I didn't come across as though I'd rather be obese than have leftover skin - I'd just rather be healthy with little excess skin than have GOBS of skin leftover :/
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Hey - just looking for some advice...

My plan is to lose a total of over 100lbs (not from here, from my starting point of 232lbs a couple months ago) and I'm concerned with what it going to be left of the weight once I'm done.

I'm talking about excess skin and stretch marks. I'd really like to avoid going through the trouble of losing all the weight and then not be able to show off. Yes, I want to be healthy primarily, but I want to be comfortable with my body too! Has anyone that has experience with losing a lot of weight had similar concerns or problems and has learned what can be done about it? I know skin removal is an option but I know that leaves scars and I'd like to avoid that if at all possible.

Thanks for your time!

Will your body look the way it would have if you had never weighed 232 lbs? Probably not. Will it look better than it does now? Definitely. I know several people who lost weight slowly, built lean muscle and look amazing in a string bikini. On the other hand I know a few who have dieted and not really focused on nutrition, building muscle and getting healthy - and though they are thin - they're not "fit"... they have skin issues.

My advice is to do everything that you can to get fit and healthy... and work on getting the best body possible for you.
  • LittleSpy
    But, you know, I'd rather have a little loose skin & look AWESOME in my clothes than to have gobs of extra fat!

I hope I didn't come across as though I'd rather be obese than have leftover skin - I'd just rather be healthy with little excess skin than have GOBS of skin leftover :/

I wasn't insinuating that's how you felt or how you came across. I was stating how I feel about it. :wink:
    And how I feel about it is, you can try all the tips to prevent it (lotion, water, etc), but it's probably going to happen. And maybe those tips will keep it from being so bad, but it's better to go into it realistically thinking loose skin could be a possibility than to kid yourself about it & then be disappointed in your results later, you know? Sorry if I'm being a Debbie Downer. :laugh:

I'm sure there's someone somewhere who has lost over100 pounds and has no loose skin! And like sonjavon says, your body will look sooooo much better whether you have a little loose skin or not. :wink:
This discussion has been closed.