Helppppp I'm lost with food

Options
So eating badly the calories come quickly but trying to eat healthy I end up never eating enough. I need to learn how to eat and instead of trying to search the web for all kids of healthy food. I would rather talk to people and hear some of the recipes and foods you love and have actually tried. I do not eat any seafood or mayo/ miracle whip lol so those are the only things I don't do. I do drive an hour away to school Monday thru Friday and would like easy Togo kinds of foods but also welcome food for at home dinners or weekends. Oh and all meal times too. Hope to get some replies.....

Replies

• pcotter54
    pcotter54 Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    You should take a look at the "Recipes" forum and the "Fitness and Nutrition" forum on MFP. There are lots of good ideas there. Good luck to you and to your adorable kids!
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi there, it's not as difficult as it might seem from all the info out there.

Basically you need a protein at every meal. That can be chicken, fish, meat, eggs, occasionally cheese, soy-or other bean if you are vegetarian.

Then add vegetables, either cooked or raw or both. Can be vegetable soup, salad, salad and broccoli, just raw cut up veggies like cucumbers, tomatoes, peppers... the possibilities are endless.

Then add a starch like sweet potatoes, regular potatoes, corn, quinoa, rice, occasional pasta. When I use grain as a strch, i try to use whole grains only, also no white sugar or white flour, but if you have picky kids, that's less of an option.

For snacks use fruit, nuts, yoghurt and an occasional treat if the sweet munchies strike.

I have raised many kids (some bio, some foster), so have lots of ideas.
    My diary is open and I'm on most days. Feel free to add me.
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Just saw that you don't eat seafood, so scratch the fish idea. I use vegenaise, which is a mayonaise based on oils without eggs, but you can use yoghurt or sour cream as substitute.
  • lives21
    lives21 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I used to have that same problem that I would either eat way too many bad calories or not enough healthy ones. I'm still figuring out to make it happen more often, but have learned how to make it happen. I agree, every meal and every snack, needs to have a protein. I like to make it a requirement to have a protein plus a fruit/ veggie (ideally).

Breakfasts are either yogurt with blueberries, oatmeal with fruit and nuts or an egg on toast with fruit. Snacks are often fruit and cheese, crackers with turkey, apples and peanut butter, protein shake or carrots and hummus. Lunches/ dinners are a bit harder, but often sandwich stuffed with veggies and carrot sticks, soup/salad/half sandwich combo, brown rice with any type of meat and sauteed veggies, pasta with veggies, meatballs and red sauce, burrito bowls, stir fry, potatoes with meat and veggies, etc.. I cook a lot though, and search for recipes for everything. I've heard making a lot for leftovers helps so you can just throw things together and take it to go. I also really dislike seafood and rarely eat mayo unless it's in an amazing aioli or something, so I don't normally include those too often. I do like sour cream or avocado for a creamy substitute.

For togo ideas, drinkable yogurt is good and oatmeal doesn't take long to eat and can be thrown in a togo mug. Snacks I just throw in a bag and preslice any veggies/ fruits. And lunches I would just put in some ziploc containers. Good luck!
  • amecom
    amecom Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    For breakfast, I just started making 'breakfast cookies'. They are great because they actually taste good and you can eat them on the run. Basically a granola bar in cookie form and you control the ingredients. Go to Pinterest and search for breakfast cookies.

Salads are great...and you can add so many different things...dried cranberries, cut up apple, grilled chicken, nuts, chia seeds (these are great for you!). Choose a vinaigrette like raspberry...great taste and lower in calories.

Smoothies are another great option...using fresh or frozen fruit, greek yogurt, and add some kale and/or baby spinach. I also add some celery and carrot.

Dinner: baked potato, chicken thighs (cheaper and tastier), roasted veggies (my kids love roasted broccoli, just drizzle with olive oil and put salt/pepper on them and roast at 400 for about 20 min.)

Homemade soups are great. Again, check out Pinterest and do a search.
    Wow! I use 'great' a lot :-)
  • Imigen04
    Imigen04 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Thank u so much I am so new still learning the site
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Thank u so much I will try anything and my kids are picky but still willing to at least try new things. It's hardest just being the only one overweight
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    read forks over knives
  • TheDarlingOne
    TheDarlingOne Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    What I learned, personally, my 1st month here - baby spinach is KING lol. - I put that stuff on EVERYTHING practically now lol.

And just earlier this month - i found the beauties of smoothies with baby spinach.
    Tastes like banana - but looks like a gorgeous green color! you'd never know to taste it - that it had any kind of veg in it!

:)
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Oh wow such great info thank u so much I do a lot of fruit is too much fruit bad?
  • laserturkey
    laserturkey Posts: 1,680 Member
    Options
    Avocado sprinkled with lime juice is a great way to get some healthy fats.
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Amecom. Thank u so much I love veggies and fruit and all the things you talked about I appreciate the information. Gonna try everything :) slowly tho haha
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Poedunk... Where would I find it?
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    When you're eating healthy and low on calories, I suggest adding some healthy fats like avocado, nuts, more lean meats etc, to get your calories to a good level. :D
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Darling one... What kinds do you make? Have and recipes you can share I'm so new to all of this
  • AZKristi
    AZKristi Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    Avocados, almonds, and olives are delicious AND healthy and they can add plenty of calories to your diet.
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Umeboshi... Any specific suggestions? I have lived such a sheltered life lol I haven't really tried different things. Lived my life eating the same things Mexican, pizza, hot dogs, and hamburgers.... It's sad I know I'm surprised I not bigger
  • Imigen04
    Options
    Azkristi... I love all three thank you. I need to learn so much about trying to be healthy
  • unsuspectingfish
    unsuspectingfish Posts: 1,176 Member
    Options
    When you're eating healthy and low on calories, I suggest adding some healthy fats like avocado, nuts, more lean meats etc, to get your calories to a good level. :D

This. I eat "clean" (which, to me, is about 95% unprocessed foods, like fruits, vegetables, whole grains, fresh fish, eggs, etc.), and what makes up for the small amount of calories in the fruits and veggies is things like mixed nuts, fish, eggs, beans, etc. I also eat some yogurt every day (plain Greek yogurt is a good sour cream substitute, FYI), and I eat a LOT of fruit, especially during the summer. I pretty much live off fruit in the summer, actually. A lot of fruit is really good with peanut butter (and other nut butters), too, which is also a good source of healthy calories, as long as you don't buy one with a ton of sugar. I buy one that has exactly one ingredient: peanuts. I know not everyone can get something like that, but it's pretty delicious if you can.
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Umeboshi... Any specific suggestions? I have lived such a sheltered life lol I haven't really tried different things. Lived my life eating the same things Mexican, pizza, hot dogs, and hamburgers.... It's sad I know I'm surprised I not bigger

Unsuspecting made some good suggestions.
    Here's a handy list of lots of healthy foods to increase your calorie intake!

peanut butter or other nut butters
    nuts (almonds,
    greek yogurt
    avocado
    chicken or turkey
    salmon
    eggs
    black beans, pinto beans, chickpeas
    dried fruits (ideally without added sugar)
    dark chocolate (obviously not a ton, but a square or two :D)

And a couple sample meals for you:

- Salad with avocado, tomatoes, diced onion, chicken breast or salmon, and a vinaigrette dressing. If you like Italian dressing, you can make your own with a Good Seasons packet. I like to half the amount of oil in the vinaigrette recipe and replace it with water.

- One egg fried with cooking spray, on top of low-fat refried beans, topped with a laughing cow light wedge and a couple tablespoons of chunky salsa. You could easily replace the egg with some chicken breast if you prefer.

- Chicken Taco Stew : 2-ish cups of rotisserie chicken, shredded. (I usually just use about half a rotisserie chicken and don't measure it.) 1 can of RoTel, a can of black beans, 3 tablespoons of tomato paste, a 4-cup box of low sodium chicken broth, 2 cups of water, a packet of taco seasoning (it's healthier if you make your own taco seasoning mix, though.) and about a cup of frozen sweet corn. Just throw it all in a pot, bring to a boil, and simmer for about 45 minutes. If you want to increase the calories, it is AMAZING topped with some chopped avocado, and a laughing cow wedge.