Ways to exercise when its cold out...

Options
I love the outdoors, but winter in Indiana is a nasty bit of business. Need motivation to workout indoors...does anyone have this problem? How did you overcome it??

Replies

• roconnell23
    Options
    I like to use workouts I find on pinterest or tumblr, things you don't need a gym to do and don't need to go outdoors for.
    Try to do 10 sets of 100 jumping jacks throughout the day...it might not seem like much, but its definitely a workout! Before you allow yourself to watch TV or use the computer or do something else, do 100 jumping jacks and by the end of the day you will have done 1000 jumping jacks!
    Another thing that can be good in the winter is to use workout DVDs. You can mix them up and work different parts of your body. Just some ideas :)
  • dixielawgirl
    dixielawgirl Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    For me, it has to be fun.

I really enjoy doing the cardio dance type workouts, and I often use my Wii for exercise purposes. Check out YouTube. There are a lot of free workouts on there ;)
  • Seully
    Options
    I live in West Michigan, so I know what you mean. When I can't go outside I just turn on some music that gets me pumped up, and try to do cardio-if you have stairs walk up and down them ten times, it will really get your heart going. Also, jumping jacks, windmills, anything that doesn't take a lot of room but gets your heart going, can be very easy to do inside if you've got the right music going. I'll also do my jumping jacks positioned so I'm looking out of a window, that way I still get to see the sunshine (if there is any)
  • marciem22
    Options
    I have an elliptical machine and an exercise bike that I use, but before I purchased them I used to make up different routes through my house and I just walked briskly to music. Hope that helps!
  • tsikkz
    tsikkz Posts: 404 Member
    Options
    I live in Canada and the only time I run outside this time of year is with my running buddy

*****ing about how cold it is to someone else makes the run go faster lol
  • sechadyl
    sechadyl Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I have a treadmill, free weights and a few other pieces of equipment, I also have yoga and excercise videos. I workout first thing in the morning before I get to busy and find an excuse not to do it.
  • auteurfille22
    auteurfille22 Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    Someone else already suggested this, but things like jumping jacks and jump rope are awesome - blast up the music and just get into it - the nice thing is you don't necessarily have to set out big blocks of time - they're things you can do in those periods of waiting throughout your day - I particularly like to do them when I'm making dinner and something needs to sit on the stove by itself for five minutes or something. If you do little things like that throughout the day it does add up!
  • kimmyrn42
    Options
    Thanks everyone...I'm ashamed to say that I do have a recumbant bike, free weights, and several DVD's...just don't seem to have the motivation to get with the program...
  • kapoorpk
    kapoorpk Posts: 244 Member
    Options
    I am in Chicago and agree that its not always easy to get outside but I have been so far been able to get to my gym and keep up with my routine. I just found the whole environment to be more charged up and conducive to working out than what I have at home. But, that's a matter of personal preference.

I would suggest setting goals, making a lot of MFP friends and through goal achievement and encouragement from friends, you should find your self more motivated to work out at home, if that is what you prefer.

Feel free to connect as friend.

All the best!
  • meg041009
    meg041009 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Try insanity w friends it's a great workout that n the gym