Anyone going Wheat Free or Gluten Free?

Options
2»

Replies

• dangerxbadger
    dangerxbadger Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Not unless I'm diagnosed with Celiac or some kind of intolerance. I don't arbitrarily exclude foods/food groups from my diet without a good reason to do so.

Here is what I am reading that has sent me down this path:
    Wheat Belly by William Davis (http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543)

Yeah, don't get excited about that. Most of his theories have been debunked. I can't think of any reason to go wheat free or gluten free (2 different things) unless you've been diagnosed with a problem.

Me too. I roll my eyes when people do it and then suddenly say "I have so much energy now! Never felt better!". Please...

I would probably attribute their higher energy levels to fewer refined carbs in their diets. In my personal experience, I replaced all of my grains (medically necessary) with vegetables, and MIRACULOUSLY lost weight(HEAVY sarcasm on the miraculous). Less sugar is good for you. If that means cutting out wheat, or whatever, go for it. That said, don't expect a quick fix, and unless you are ready to stay committed to this for life, you are probably going to gain back anything you lose as a result.
  • m00glem0g
    m00glem0g Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I am actually wanting to go wheat/gluten free for a month. I have never tried before but I have a lot of symptoms of gluten intolerance. I was going to take a blood test to check, but everyone tells me that elimination is a more effective way to tell. If anyone is willing to offer support and/or advice, please friend me!!! I will need help figuring out how to balance things :-)
  • smoothandfast
    smoothandfast Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    We are wheat/grain free, as well as low-carb and the thing I've learned is pretty much avoid anything that claims to be gluten-free... if it says it is, there's a good chance it's still wheat/grain or starch-based, just without gluten. (Of course, if you're only going for gluten-free, that's cool.) Remember, they never have to label the broccoli as gluten-free! ;)

We make all our own baked goods, breads, buns, crackers etc. using almond flour, coconut flour or flax seed meal (what little we do eat). I've never seen a gluten-free advertised product use these base ingredients, probably because they're more expensive than the others typically used. I just assume that I can't eat anything that's described as gluten-free because chances are it's not grain/wheat/starch-free. So it matters (from a food-choosing standpoint) whether you decide to go wheat-free, gluten-free or completely grain-free because they're not the same thing.

When your bread is essentially made with fatty flours like coconut/almond, they're much more filling so you eat less. We find this works well for a low-carb/high-fat diet, but if you're doing something different, you'd need to check the macro ratios to see if it's what you're looking for.
  • karensinn
    karensinn Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I have Celiac Disease and have been gluten free for quite a while now and now that it is more mainstream it is so much easier to find great gluten free products. I gained weight after my diagnosis because I would indulge in gf foods because I felt like it was a treat or I deserved it because I had to give up so many other foods. Now I'm on the path to reverse that and adding more fruits and veggies in my diet because are the easiest and safest foods for me to snack on. Eating out and eating processed foods can be tricky because there are so many additives or sauces that can be made with wheat, gluten, barley, or rye. It can be nerve wracking to eat out for fear or getting sick so I tend to eat at home mostly. Here is a great website with some good recipes: http://simplygluten-free.com/
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Not unless I'm diagnosed with Celiac or some kind of intolerance. I don't arbitrarily exclude foods/food groups from my diet without a good reason to do so.

Wheat Belly by William Davis (http://www.amazon.com/Wheat-Belly-Lose-Weight-Health/dp/1609611543)
    Might want to check the links in this thread before the Wheat Belly pseudo-science gets you too scared:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/899012-lol-wheat-belly
  • the_crazy_ninja
    Options
    I´m on paleo since two weeks. No grain since than....and loving it!
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options

great book. i have it.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    I went entirely GF for about a year, due to tummy issues. Now trying to decide if any wheat/gluten grains will work for me.

My tummy loves no gluten, that's for sure.

I personally avoid all the fake breads and just go without or eat corn tortillas.

It's all about personal preference.

If you're giving it up because you suspect an allergy: hope you feel better.
    If you're giving it up to lose weight: don't do any substitutions, as the GF alternatives tend to be higher in sugar, carbs, calories, and lower in things like fiber.

Personally: I wouldn't advise it as a weight loss strategy.