Low Carb

2»

Replies

• njjswim
    njjswim Posts: 178 Member
    The grams are figured out on your food log page most women is is around 200 gms which is about 45 gm per meal. A carb is 15 gm per 1/2 cup serviing unless it is a starch or has sugar then you count double. It is a good ball park guide. You can get exact with a carb counter from Walmart for about 5 bucks
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member
    you guys are crazy :tongue:

carbs are my best friend, without them I would be very sad :cry: . I just make sure they're good carbs these days!

As far as I can tell, most people here are just talking about making sure the carbs they eat ARE good carbs.

That's what I mean. I want to know which carbs are good/healthy to eat. I'm not talking about that South Beach diet stuff...
    I've been going over my carbs a lot lately & I've mostly been eating wheat except for the cheese tortellini which is white pasta. I used to eat regular flour tortillias, but I recently bought the spinach and herb one. IDK if I'm making the right choices! Should I just stick with wheat/whole grain for every bread-like food I buy? Does it matter if you eat lots of fruits with a lot of carbs?
  • kdiamond
    kdiamond Posts: 3,329 Member
    I would not worry about the carbs in fruit. Fruit is good for you. I think everyone gets hung up on the low carb thing, and truthfully, it isn't healthy. Unless you have a reason (i.e. diabetic) you shouldn't stress over carbs. That being said it is smart to balance your snacks...so if you were to eat a peach for instance, which is all carb, I would also have 1/4 cup cottage cheese with it. Balance is the key.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659

carbs are my best friend, without them I would be very sad :cry: . I just make sure they're good carbs these days!

As far as I can tell, most people here are just talking about making sure the carbs they eat ARE good carbs.

That's what I mean. I want to know which carbs are good/healthy to eat. I'm not talking about that South Beach diet stuff...
    I've been going over my carbs a lot lately & I've mostly been eating wheat except for the cheese tortellini which is white pasta. I used to eat regular flour tortillias, but I recently bought the spinach and herb one. IDK if I'm making the right choices! Should I just stick with wheat/whole grain for every bread-like food I buy? Does it matter if you eat lots of fruits with a lot of carbs?

As a general rule, yes, whole wheat and grain is your best friend as far as good vs. bad carbs. White bread and flour tortillas and the like are all processed carbs. Meaning your body doesn't have nearly as much work to do after you eat them.

My "good carbs" are in fruit and whole grain/wheat items (bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta).
  • andyxbear
    andyxbear Posts: 269 Member

As a general rule, yes, whole wheat and grain is your best friend as far as good vs. bad carbs. White bread and flour tortillas and the like are all processed carbs. Meaning your body doesn't have nearly as much work to do after you eat them.

My "good carbs" are in fruit and whole grain/wheat items (bread, brown rice, whole wheat pasta).

Thanks!! That was helpful. I usually use the tortillias when I'd eat salad and just make a wrap. It tastes better to me when it's inside a tortillia than just by itself, plus I can take it on the go!
  • KarenECunningham
    KarenECunningham Posts: 419 Member
    I am on a program where I do not eat sugar or simple carbs. I eat whole wheat and whole grain bread, whole wheat tortillas, Lundberg organic brown rice cakes, brown rice and I eat a potato up to three times a week. I eat any vegetables and fruits I want and I make sure I get enough lean protein. I eat dried apricots and almonds for snacks (just be sure you weigh them and count the calories) I am losing weight more consistently than I have in the past so it must be working. My cravings have gone way down. I would never give up carbs completely but instead make healthier selections. Good luck to you.
  • jennylynn84
    jennylynn84 Posts: 659

Thanks!! That was helpful. I usually use the tortillias when I'd eat salad and just make a wrap. It tastes better to me when it's inside a tortillia than just by itself, plus I can take it on the go!

I love flat outs for that purpose. For some reason it seems easier than making a salad. And I can put a larger variety of things on it. Like hummus. :)
  • vanzeem
    vanzeem Posts: 107
    KarenECunningha- What program are you on?
  • barkmelv
    barkmelv Posts: 12

Some of us don't have a choice. I have thyroid disease and my endocrinologist put me on a low carb diet. It's not only recommended for people who are diabetic. And it's not unhealthy. I just don't eat a lot of processed foods where there is loads of sugar hiding. Mainly whole grain (brown rice, whole grain bread) and stay away from starches (potatoes, white flour, corn products). I still eat lots of fruit and veggies.
  • barkmelv
    Ok, when you are trying to decide if something is good or bad carbs it is usually advisable to figure out the glycemic load (GL). The GL is different from the glycemic index (GI) such that it considers serving size.

GL = carbs (g) * GI / 100

Low GL 1-10; Med GL 11-19; High GL 20+

Generally I try to stick to the low GL stuff and eat sparingly from the medium GL stuff. I try to avoid the high GL all together.

Hope that helps :flowerforyou:

some websites that might help:
    http://www.mendosa.com/gilists.htm
    http://lowcarbdiets.about.com/
  • barkmelv

Yeah, I have no problem with Low carb (any form of such), I more have a problem with people thinking low carb is a better way to lose weight, intrinsically it's no better or worse than any other way to lose weight (healthy). I realize that certain people are force to do low carb because of medical reasons or that they have an allergy, that's cool with me, and there's another group that just prefer low carb because it forces them to stay within their calorie range easier, which is also fine in my book. All valid reasons.

What I always try to make sure people know about low carb is that it's a lifestyle change, I.E. it should be thought of as a permanent change to your eating habits, and NOT a temporary way to diet and lose weight, it's not, and can be dangerous when used that way, there are many issues that go along with a ketogenic diet, you need to be very diligent about your body, and pay very close attention to things (like hydration levels, ketone levels, kidney and liver infection rates go way up with ketogenic diets, calcium depletion and brittle bones, low glycogen reserves...etc.)

Course that all goes for ketogenic diets, just going somewhat lower than the average (55% or so) doesn't really have much in the way of drawback.

Sorry, I guess I should have kept reading instead of posting in a huff about medical issues :blushing:
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

Yeah, I have no problem with Low carb (any form of such), I more have a problem with people thinking low carb is a better way to lose weight, intrinsically it's no better or worse than any other way to lose weight (healthy). I realize that certain people are force to do low carb because of medical reasons or that they have an allergy, that's cool with me, and there's another group that just prefer low carb because it forces them to stay within their calorie range easier, which is also fine in my book. All valid reasons.

What I always try to make sure people know about low carb is that it's a lifestyle change, I.E. it should be thought of as a permanent change to your eating habits, and NOT a temporary way to diet and lose weight, it's not, and can be dangerous when used that way, there are many issues that go along with a ketogenic diet, you need to be very diligent about your body, and pay very close attention to things (like hydration levels, ketone levels, kidney and liver infection rates go way up with ketogenic diets, calcium depletion and brittle bones, low glycogen reserves...etc.)

Course that all goes for ketogenic diets, just going somewhat lower than the average (55% or so) doesn't really have much in the way of drawback.

Sorry, I guess I should have kept reading instead of posting in a huff about medical issues :blushing:

LOL, NP, it happens. As far as angry posts go, you were pretty mild. I've taken far worse. :tongue:
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    I am on a program where I do not eat sugar or simple carbs. I eat whole wheat and whole grain bread, whole wheat tortillas, Lundberg organic brown rice cakes, brown rice and I eat a potato up to three times a week. I eat any vegetables and fruits I want and I make sure I get enough lean protein. I eat dried apricots and almonds for snacks (just be sure you weigh them and count the calories) I am losing weight more consistently than I have in the past so it must be working. My cravings have gone way down. I would never give up carbs completely but instead make healthier selections. Good luck to you.

i could never give up carbs either. carbocide is always commited!
  • foxyforce

Yeah, I guess I don't really consider it "low carb" unless ketosis is the goal and that's not going to happen with 40% carbs. I think how much a person aims for should depend upon their activities. I find that with about 40/30/30 I have plenty of energy (for the type of exercise that I do) and I feel satisfied throughout the day, plus I seem to lose weight consistently. I don't go out of my way to keep them down, but when I concentrate on veggies and lean protein, that just seems to be where the numbers fall. Lately I've been closer to 50% most days, but I'm never real exact.

i know this is just a GENERAL statement. but since i was the thread starter, I shall say, that eating high carbs does have an effect on your midsection, and all my weight is carried around my belly, so in a way it is good for weight loss
  • foxyforce
    I would not worry about the carbs in fruit. Fruit is good for you. I think everyone gets hung up on the low carb thing, and truthfully, it isn't healthy. Unless you have a reason (i.e. diabetic) you shouldn't stress over carbs. That being said it is smart to balance your snacks...so if you were to eat a peach for instance, which is all carb, I would also have 1/4 cup cottage cheese with it. Balance is the key.

does anyone here acctually know the rate of diabetes? to be honest, i think we all eat way too many carbs. i know i do, yesterday i had 3 pieces of white bread, 2 pieces of pizza, and three twisty bread pieces...low carb is good for carboholics, trust me, no one ever died from cutting back their carbs
  • Barneystinson
    Barneystinson Posts: 1,357 Member
    Simple way to find out if a high carb/sugar meal is setting you up for problems - find your postprandial (2hrs after eating) and fasting blood glucose levels AND have a chat with your doctor if you think there are concerns.

If your postprandial is regularly spiking above 140 mg/dl or higher after a higher-carb meal (1-2 hours post), you may want to go for a lower carbohydrate option, especially if your fasting blood sugar is also high (more than 100 mg/dl).

So the trouble with eating a consistent amount of high carb or high sugar food (esp. processed or refined) is that it may keep your blood glucose at an elevated level...which over time causes problems.

Most can eat carbohydrate without issues, but those that regularly have issues may want to consider a lower carb diet to better manage blood glucose, again, in conjunction with advice from a doctor.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member

does anyone here acctually know the rate of diabetes? to be honest, i think we all eat way too many carbs. i know i do, yesterday i had 3 pieces of white bread, 2 pieces of pizza, and three twisty bread pieces...low carb is good for carboholics, trust me, no one ever died from cutting back their carbs

Ah haaaaa <--- (frivolousness)

but what about Diabetic Ketoacidosis. Undiagnosed type 2 diabetics die once in a while (about 5% of newly diagnosed diabetics) from this, which is basically cutting carbs.
This discussion has been closed.