5:2 diet

Options
Anyone on the 5:2 diet and had success? Any suggestion for fast days
Beavergong

Replies

• maggiesnewlife
    Options
    Yes, I've just started it with my first 500 cal day yesterday. I've chosen my 2 busiest days of the week as my fast days so I don't have time to think about food. I started with a mushroom omelette for breakfast and then stuck to homemade veggie soup and low cal jelly for lunch and dinner. Feeling OK today! Hope that helps :)
  • HungryKoala
    Options
    5:2? Whats that? *scrunches face and pulls up google*
  • marymuston
    Options
    I'm on my first fast day today so will see how it goes - just had 30g of porridge for breakfast = 107 calories
  • rvtyson
    Options
    I'm on my 2nd fast of my 2nd week today, I've found it much easier to save all my calories for the evening meal, if I have breakfast it seems to wake up my stomach and I'm hungry by lunch and then I'm left with virtually no calorie allowance for the evening. Drink plenty of water too. I've lost 2lbs already and I feel more energetic than I have for years! good luck. btw have you joined the 5:2 intermittent fasting diet facebook page? There are loads of people there with recipes and advice.
  • kennie2
    kennie2 Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    my uncle is on it and seems to really be working for him!
    Hungry Koala
    its where you eat 500 calories for 2 days on the week
    and normally for the rest of the week
  • marymuston
    Options
    thanks - :happy:
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the comments on the 5:2 diet. We(my husband and I) just started this week. I found the second fast harder than the first but I persevered and found I lost 3 kg in a week . I was really pleased with that . I was wondering what a realistic weight loss after 6 weeks would be on this diet. Does anyone know. As someone else commented you have to limit yourself to 500-600 calories on 2 nonconsecutive days. We've started by having rock melon and a poached egg for breakfast, homemade vegetable soup at lunch and grilled fish and steamed veges for tea on fast days. What do others do?
    Beavergong
  • Alta2000
    Alta2000 Posts: 655 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Beavergong
    Beavergong Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Marymuston
    Will you please friend me so I can discuss 5:2 fast and feast days.
    I tried to friend you but marymuston didn't work for email. Maybe it's me.
    Hope you can as I know no-one but my husband on 5:2 and I have a few questions
    For someone on 5:2
    Beavergong
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    Options
    seems odd...nope not on it
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    If you type it into the "search" box you'll find lots of discussion about it already, and 2 groups where you can share ideas and support with others already on this. There's also a really active and informative Facebook page.
  • xxPoshxx
    Options
    Morning

Im hoping to start tomorrow with a fast day. can I ask a question - on "feast" days how many calories are you having?

Thanks in advance.
  • TwelveSticks
    TwelveSticks Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    You're supposed to be able to eat what you want on feast days, but I'm not buying that! I've been following a normal, calorie-controlled diet program on feast days, which limits me to 1500 calories. But since I'm fasting (600 kCal) on two days, I'm not being too hard on myself on the feast days if I go over a little bit.

So far it seems to be working well for me - 4 weeks in and 14 lbs lost...

Anyone please feel free to friend me if you want to share encouragement...
  • pghfan
    pghfan Posts: 119
    Options
    You're supposed to be able to eat what you want on feast days, but I'm not buying that! I've been following a normal, calorie-controlled diet program on feast days, which limits me to 1500 calories. But since I'm fasting (600 kCal) on two days, I'm not being too hard on myself on the feast days if I go over a little bit.

Totally agree. Doesn't make sense to me to eat whatever I want on non-fasting days. This is my second week. I plan to keep my "other" days to 1200-1500 calories and see what happens. My weigh in day is Friday. At the end of the first week I was down 5 pounds. But I also quit drinking for lent and stayed within my calorie goals every day. We'll see how it levels out after a couple of weeks.
  • postzak
    postzak Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Requires hard work and dedication.
    If you're weak and most likely to give up easily then don't even start this diet because you'll end up craving all kinds of food that you like.
    Don't even think about starting with this starvation diet when you're looking for muscle gains because your final result will be concluded as muscle loss.
    Keep it simple; eat 5 meals a day and work out regularly, keep your calorie intake 500 kcal below your TDEE, then patiently wait for the results to come.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options

Totally agree. Doesn't make sense to me to eat whatever I want on non-fasting days. This is my second week. I plan to keep my "other" days to 1200-1500 calories and see what happens. My weigh in day is Friday. At the end of the first week I was down 5 pounds. But I also quit drinking for lent and stayed within my calorie goals every day. We'll see how it levels out after a couple of weeks.

What doesn't make sense to me is to NOT spend £3 on the book, NOT bother reading it, completely make up whatever I like for a diet (including my own terms such as 'feast days') and then call it the same diet.
  • TeresaB1979
    TeresaB1979 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    If you're weak and most likely to give up easily then don't even start this diet because you'll end up craving all kinds of food that you like.
    Don't even think about starting with this starvation diet when you're looking for muscle gains because your final result will be concluded as muscle loss.
    Keep it simple; eat 5 meals a day and work out regularly, keep your calorie intake 500 kcal below your TDEE, then patiently wait for the results to come.

Hiya. You are incorrect. when you say this is a 'starvation diet' I love 5:2 and I have no will power whatsoever. ;-) I enjoy the fast days and even find I have more energy than on 'feed' days. Many people think they will overindulge after a fast day. I thought I would but I don't. I find my appetite has changed and I no longer ten to just eat and eat for the sake of it. There is no reason you would experience muscle loss and the additional health benefits (other than weightloss) are well documented and researched. Check out the science behind this approach to eating before telling people things about it that simply aren't true. Here's a link to the documentary featuring Dr. Michael Mosely that explains why this is a very healthy and relatively easy 'diet' (I hate caling it a diet because I hate faddy diets. This isn't one. I love it!). Even if you don't think intermittent fasting is for you, it's still interesting viewing. :smile: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms?fb_action_ids=10151299172292643&fb_action_typ
  • Gianna5587
    Gianna5587 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I've started it today.. And I'm only logging on fast days from now on (to endable me to calculate calories). I'm pretty sure I know what a healthy days food looks like by now so am going to trust my instincts the rest of the time... Surely the point fasting two days a week is that you can go a bit easier on yourself the rest of the time??
  • IronSmasher
    Options

Hiya. You are incorrect. when you say this is a 'starvation diet' I love 5:2 and I have no will power whatsoever. ;-) I enjoy the fast days and even find I have more energy than on 'feed' days. Many people think they will overindulge after a fast day. I thought I would but I don't. I find my appetite has changed and I no longer ten to just eat and eat for the sake of it. There is no reason you would experience muscle loss and the additional health benefits (other than weightloss) are well documented and researched. Check out the science behind this approach to eating before telling people things about it that simply aren't true. Here's a link to the documentary featuring Dr. Michael Mosely that explains why this is a very healthy and relatively easy 'diet' (I hate caling it a diet because I hate faddy diets. This isn't one. I love it!). Even if you don't think intermittent fasting is for you, it's still interesting viewing. :smile: http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xvdbtt_eat-fast-live-longer-hd_shortfilms?fb_action_ids=10151299172292643&fb_action_typ

Actually, you are incorrect. If you read Dr. Michael Mosely's book The Fast Diet (the correct title of this fad diet), you will find that he freely admits there is little evidence or research in the field of intermittent fasting as it is still in it's infancy.

Through out the book he clearly puts it that it is an anecdotal story of a diet he made up for himself to try out as an experiment.
  • IronSmasher
    Options
    I've started it today.. And I'm only logging on fast days from now on (to endable me to calculate calories). I'm pretty sure I know what a healthy days food looks like by now so am going to trust my instincts the rest of the time... Surely the point fasting two days a week is that you can go a bit easier on yourself the rest of the time??

Yes, the theory is that you get your weekly deficit during the two fast days. You're not supposed to be doing two diets at the same time.
    It was the health benefits of IF Mosley was looking for, rather than weight loss per se.