No Carbs after 6!

Options
Okay, so firstly I'd like to say that I've just come back after a year or maybe even more, but I'm now determined and motivated [for real this time, and I have a man by my side who is a health freak who will be pushing me along <3]

Now my question at the moment is that, I'm of an Asian descendent and our main ingredient in most of our dishes is white rice. I'm following a rule of not having Carbohydrates after 6pm, but I don't know what to replace rice for dinner [sometimes I come home late from TAFE], at the moment I have been having wholemeal chicken and salad wraps, but I want a selection of things that I can use to replace rice or any Carb based foods...

Anyone doing the same No-Carbs-After-6? What's an alternative to rice/bread?

Replies

• kristafb
    kristafb Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I make cauliflower 'rice', you can really fool yourself. Google it & you'll find instructions. its easy.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no relevance to weight loss/gain ... eat carbs whenever u want just make sure u within your calorie goals because thats what counts
  • andycet
    andycet Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I read a few places as long as its clean you can eat it anytime. So if its brown rice you should be ok. I can't eat until later so thats what I follow.
  • lady_in_weighting
    lady_in_weighting Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Replace your carbs with vegetables. Try sweet potato as an alternative! :)
  • jnknzxD
    jnknzxD Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    @Krist; That'll be a great idea, thank you! I shall try that one next week!

@Chad + Andy; I heard that Carbs at night time, especially simple carbs at night time is bad as it's harder to break down and it's close to sleeping time... And something else. >__<'

@Pries; Is sweet potato actually good for you? Since normal potatoes are Starchy and carb based.
  • SamanthaClarexo
    SamanthaClarexo Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    @Chad + Andy; I heard that Carbs at night time, especially simple carbs at night time is bad as it's harder to break down and it's close to sleeping time... And something else. >__<'

Totally irrelevant what time it is. As long as you're within your calorie limit for the day, it doesn't matter whether you eat rice in the morning or before you go to sleep.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    Meal timing has no relevance to weight loss/gain ... eat carbs whenever u want just make sure u within your calorie goals because thats what counts

The man speaks the truth.

Fat is stored when you eat more calories than you expend.

As long as you stay within your calorie prescription you'll lose weight.

I (and many others) eat gigantic meals at night time and it has had a positive effect on weight loss as I tend to sleep better with a full belly.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    what you heard is a lie , its typical "bro science bs" ... aslong as its in your macro range for the day u will not gain 1 bit of fat , if u in a deficit u can eat carbs while u sleeping and still lose weight
  • sz8soon
    sz8soon Posts: 816 Member
    Options
    Why no carb after 6? That's one of the silliest things I've heard. Carbs that you eat at noon are the same as the carbs you would eat at 7. If you are just looking to reduce the amount of calories you are eating at dinner because you are eating too many at one meal- then sure it's a great way to eliminate some calories . But really there is no secret to when you eat them. Your body will break them down, turn them to sugar, release insulin, the same way each time- doesn't matter what time the clock reads.

Carbs are not evil.
  • jnknzxD
    Options
    @Chad; Does that mean I can still eat before I sleep?
    Because I also heard that you should wait AT LEAST 30 minutes before you sleep because your systems slow down whilst you sleep... Well, according to what I learn in my nursing and psychology courses.

@Skeywood; Cr01502; But carbs 'turns into' fat when it's not used, so if you sleep after you eat, your carbs/energy isn't being used as much as you being awake?
  • sz8soon
    Options

Veggies have carbs too- a small sweet potato has about 20grams
  • sz8soon
    Options
    @Skeywood; Cr01502; But carbs 'turns into' fat when it's not used, so if you sleep after you eat, your carbs/energy isn't being used as much as you being awake?

Carbs do not turn into fat. False.
  • jnknzxD
    Options
    What happens to unused energy then?
  • Cr01502
    Options
    @Chad; Does that mean I can still eat before I sleep?
    Because I also heard that you should wait AT LEAST 30 minutes before you sleep because your systems slow down whilst you sleep... Well, according to what I learn in my nursing and psychology courses.

EVERYTHING turns into fat. Carbs, protein, and fat. You're body stores fat for energy reserves when you eat at a calorie SURPLUS over a given period of time. As long as you're in a calorie DEFICIT those carbs you're so worried about will be put to good use.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    Carbs are unfairly demonised. But white rice and pasta are not as "good" as brown/wholemeal alternatives which take longer to digest.

personally I have to eat when convenient, and if I don't have a proper meal in the evening I can't sleep.

As others have said, just have a good balanced meal, and keep your calorie deficit going.
  • Cr01502
    Options
    What happens to unused energy then?

It gets stored as fat. But as long you're in a deficit you're not producing unused energy.
  • ShaniWulffe
    ShaniWulffe Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    Hoo boy, bumping this
  • jnknzxD
    Options
    @Cr01502; Hmm.. Okay so stay within certain calorie intake, and follow the Daily intake guide?
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options

Sweet potato contains plenty of carbs but go ahead and eat them after 6pm as when you eat carbs will make absolutely no difference to weight loss or gain, as others have said. I always have a snack before bed (I save calories during the day for this treat as it makes me feel less deprived and happier) and 90% of the time it is something full of carbs.
  • SRH7
    SRH7 Posts: 2,037 Member
    Options
    @Cr01502; Hmm.. Okay so stay within certain calorie intake, and follow the Daily intake guide?

Perfect!