Salad Dressing?

Options

Replies

• Sweets1954
    Sweets1954 Posts: 506 Member
    Options
    There are some salad dressing sprays that are only 1 calorie a spray, usually 10 sprays per salad is the recommended. Also, you can get the dressing on the side, dip your fork in it with each bite, you cut down a lot on what you use. I like to wander the salad dressing aisle and try out different ones but I do have to be careful with the ones with a lot of vinegar, the vinegar tends to close my throat and I have a hard time breathing. You can also sprinkle a little lemon juice over your salad instead of a dressing. A lot of it has to do with a matter of personal taste.
  • _Witsy_
    _Witsy_ Posts: 609 Member
    Options
    I love the Maple Groves Farms of Vermont dressings....most range between 50-80 calories for 2 TBSP and they're low in sugar and sodium...and taste good. :)
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I actually have no problem with the fat-free Hidden Valley. I have never been a huge salad dressing person anyway, enough to just barely coat is perfect for me.

The salad dressing sprays are great for oil based dressings like balsamic or italian styles, but I found it to watery with ranch and stuff like that. And, that is coming from someone who doesn't like thick dressings if that tells you anything lol.
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I use balsamic vinegar and extra virgin olive oil. Tons of flavor, with fat to satisfy. And cheap.

I don't like processed salad dressings, they either taste fake, or too salty to me. My taste buds are high class :tongue:
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    OH! Have you also considered making your own?

My friend sent me this....

http://recipes.sparkpeople.com/recipe-detail.asp?recipe=653130

And I am considering making this instead once this last bottle runs out.
  • KetoDebbie912
    KetoDebbie912 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I too love the Bolthouse dressings. The salsa ranch is one of my staples. I also like to mix a little of the Classic Ranch with a tsp of Trader Joe's Garlic Mustard Aoli.. YUM!
  • crystalflame
    crystalflame Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I just use white wine vinegar. It's got like 3 calories a tablespoon.
  • boobee32
    boobee32 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    Kraft Mango Chipotle
  • PQ4321
    PQ4321 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I use straight salsa on salad greens particularly if I don't have any tomatoes, but am going to try the sour cream - yogurt version mentioned. I'm going to have to try hummus too.

I also mix dry packets of zesty ranch (or any other kind you like) with yogurt or low fat sour cream and love love love it for dips and dressing. It is pretty low calorie and has less preservatives and stuff.

Great topic - it is something that I have been trying to work on also! :-)
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I make a dijon dressing often (evoo + apple cider vinegar + dijon mustard) but it is a lot of calories. You can substituted nonfat greek yogurt for the evoo and it is pretty good. I also like to take 1 tbsp of Brianna's Poppyseed dressing and mix with 1 tbsp of balsamic vinegar and toss with romaine, dried cranberries, pecans and feta--yum!
  • KCLeigh9
    Options
    Wholly Guacamole 100 calorie pack. You can do spicy or regular. I also do olive oil plus fresh squeezed lemon. If I put avocado in my salads I skip the dressing.
  • airant
    airant Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    Olive oil, salt and balsamic vinager.
  • hjay07
    hjay07 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Marzetti Simply Dressed Balsamic! It's a little high in sodium, but SO good! 90 calories per 2 tbsp serving, and a little bit goes a long way. I never put 2 whole tablespoons of this dressing on my salad.
  • AmazonRDH
    AmazonRDH Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    some of you may think i'm nuts but i actually really like that Walden Farms zero calorie zero sugar zero carbs or fat stuff...... i buy it at Wild Oats, Sunflower Market or other stores like that......... the Balsamic Vinegrette and the Chipotle Ranch are quite tasty, the Chipotle Ranch is good for dipping veggies in too, I also add a few shakes of chipotle tobasco in it..........
  • oldmanrivererik
    oldmanrivererik Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Mustard + honey + red wine vinigar = low calorie great tasting salad dressing. mix to taste

Non fat greek yogurt + garlic powder+ onion powder+ chives + dill weed + lemon juice concentrate= great ranch dressing substitute . Mix to taste , very easy to make tastes like real thing. Also good for dips
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I like to thin out hummus with a bit of water until you can drizzle it and use that as a salad dressing. It's really good, especially if you use different flavors of hummus. Also, if you're a fan of ranch dressing you can thin out fat free sour cream with some milk and season it with garlic powder, dill, salt and pepper and it's a really good substitute. :)

Great suggestions :) Thanks :D
  • slamb1020
    slamb1020 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Bolthouse Farms yogurt dressing (in the refrigerated section at the grocery store). I really like the Ranch --- tastes almost the same as "regular" ranch to me, but only 45 cals.

i agree..! i use this dressing almost daily!!
  • cbrrabbit25
    cbrrabbit25 Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    1 cup of plain greek yogurt, 1/2 cup of milk, and 1 packet of ranch dressing mix blended all together. I use this one for my husband, but i use guac or hummus on my salads now.
  • Jenninscotland
    Jenninscotland Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    My peruvian friend taught me this:

Tbsp of olive oil, 1/2 of a lime (juiced), 1/4 tsp onion powder, 1/4 tsp of garlic, salt and pepper to taste. Mix all together with a fork and drizzle over salad. Serves 2 people.

Yum!
  • LifeChanged2000
    LifeChanged2000 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    pomegranate vinaigrette is one of my favorites. If I can't have this as a dressing I do plain old oil and vinegar with salt, pepper, and minced garlic.