Travelling this Weekend -- Advice please

Options
So far I have been doing really well with my new attention to what I eat. I really do not want to to anything to jeopardize my success, but I also realize that part of my success long term will be the flexibility to deal with social situations without it getting me completely off track

This Friday, we are going to a friend's house for a birthday dinner. Then Saturday morning we will drive six hours to my SIL for her daughter's birthday. We return the next day.

So I am looking to a weekend with a lot of other people's cooking and a lot of time spent in the car.

I am looking for any advice and suggestions for getting through this weekend while being mindful of what I eat and without losing my dieting momentum.

Replies

• sally_jeffswife
    sally_jeffswife Posts: 766 Member
    Options
    my hubby dances to the music in the car.....I guess that depends on if you're the one doing the driving or the passenger though but that might burn a couple calories. Possibly rather than stopping for fast food bring a baggie with a low calorie sandwich or low calorie slice of pizza saves some calories till you get there. And just drink alot of water on the trip. And enjoy yourself while you're there everyone is entitled to a few days to just enjoy what they eat and time with friends. And have a great time on your trip. :)
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Track everything! I found it helpful to pre-track as much as possible, difficult when you don't know what will be served I know. While driving get out and move at every stop you make. Take an extra lap all the way around a rest stop or parking lot. No one is watching and if they are who cares you will never see them again!
  • cappri
    cappri Posts: 1,089 Member
    Options
    Just another heads up, I found myself perfectly capable of handling the stress of a weekend away and social functions, giving myself lots of self congratulations for tracking and making good choices. Then once the stress of that was over I would then start making poor choices. It happened several times before I figured out that planning for "after" is super important for me.
  • chesves
    chesves Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    Preplan as much as possible as far as healthy food snacks, drinks etc and pack them with you. As far as eating other's cooking, just try to have larger portions of the healthiest choice possible (vegetables, etc). If I know I'm going to be away or have a "social event", I try to be REALLY good a couple of days before and after to cover a little "buffer" room for extra calories.
  • TimeForMe99
    Options
    Bring something to occupy you in the car, so you aren't tempted to nibble. Crosswords or books work well to keep the mind and hands occupied. Definitely pack lunch for the whole family with water and snacks.

While you are at the SIL's go for a walk with family members you don't see often. You can visit and earn some calories at the same time.