Night time eating...

Options
I do so well throughout the day, but as soon as the sun goes down.....BAM! I can't stop myself from eating everything! I'm a full time student and prefer to stay up late into the night to study. I can't seem to study without something in my hand to nibble on. Any suggestions? I know I should be eating a large breakfast to avoid later eating, but it doesn't seem to work!!! What do you guys do to avoid the night time hungries?! Thanks :3

Replies

• Jodi_83
    Jodi_83 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Brush your teeth?

I'm always way more tempted to eat at night - haven't really found anything that helps except brushing my teeth I guess.
  • ubermensch13
    ubermensch13 Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    I think you might have to break yourself of the habit of needing something to munch on while you study....
  • Seoul11
    Seoul11 Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    This used to be me as well. A few things I learned:

1. I wasn't eating enough during the day. For me, a medium/light breakfast, a large lunch, and a small dinner stave off nighttime hunger.

2. Change your eating and studying habits. Don't eat in front of the t.v. or computer, on the couch, at your desk... or wherever you study. Try not to eat while studying. And on the flip side, don't study in the kitchen. Keep studying and eating separate, basically. And when you're done with dinner, clean up the kitchen and brush your teeth. This kind of lets your body know you're done for the day. It's harder to snack with a nice fresh mouth.

3. Drink lots of water. Throughout the day and at night. I like herbal tea while I'm up late. It's good for you, I won't drink it too fast and have to pee all night, and the sipping gives my hands something to do other than eat.

Once I realized night eating for me was mostly just a habit, I was able to break it--though it did take some mental effort. Sometimes if I'm going to be up late studying I find a place to go--library, cafe, etc.--so I won't distract myself with eating or anything else.
  • badzoe
    badzoe Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    That's when I snack the most too. Maybe trying varying your routine? I know that when I'm in my family room watching tv, I tend to snack more than when I'm upstair folding clothes or in the my craft room.
  • popo0509
    popo0509 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    It also helps to have some fruit handy, if you must snack go for something like that.
  • Mokey41
    Mokey41 Posts: 5,769 Member
    Options
    You can try to budget some of your calories for night time snacking and have some healthy snacks prepared. Munching can be on celery, broccoli, baby carrots, etc instead of chips and junk. Pop a 100 calorie bag of popcorn and munch on that.
  • KristineW78
    KristineW78 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I was/am still somewhat the same way.
    I keep the TV OFF!!! Commercials make me hungry!
    I find something to do - read a book, internet (sites like this) or cleanup, play a game with the kids - just anything to keep my mind off food.
    I also don't keep a lot of food in the house that is "naughty".
    I take supplements that curb the appetite.
    I actually feel better and have lost weight quicker when I don't eat at night because it is not sitting there rotting toxins in to my body as I sleep = gross! I know! *lol* But when I think about it like that it kinda turns me off of eating too *lol*
  • now_or_never13
    now_or_never13 Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Save some calories for your night time eating. Have things like cut up fruits and veggies ready to go so you have those to snack on.

Or, air pop some popcorn and don't put any toppings on it and snack on that. You can get quite a lot for a low amount of calories.
  • Cr01502
    Cr01502 Posts: 3,614 Member
    Options
    I do so well throughout the day, but as soon as the sun goes down.....BAM! I can't stop myself from eating everything! I'm a full time student and prefer to stay up late into the night to study. I can't seem to study without something in my hand to nibble on. Any suggestions? I know I should be eating a large breakfast to avoid later eating, but it doesn't seem to work!!! What do you guys do to avoid the night time hungries?! Thanks :3

Skip the big breakfast and reserve your calories for the evening.

I usually don't eat all that much during the day and then eat a big meal before I go to sleep.
  • xXxHBICxXx
    xXxHBICxXx Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I too am guilty of this :cry: I hate it. I agree with the others though, it is just a habit a very very bad habit and I need to break it. But if your going to snack it should be something good, or at least decent for you. (I need to take my own advice .... lol)
  • ahviendha
    ahviendha Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    Are you actually hungry? Or is it stress/emotional eating?

A cup of peppermint tea, or some fruit may help. I like to have a big navel orange at night, or an apple as my night time sweet fix.
  • EmmaKarney
    EmmaKarney Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    Chew gum?

Alternatively just save enough calories for night time snacking.
  • zelhya
    Options
    Last night I ate a container of chips potatoes and I´m was abslotely sleep ! I realize this morning when I wake up and see the container empty.¡¡¡ I was afraid¡¡
  • aminswife
    aminswife Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    This is a bad habit of mine too, I find though on thinking about it, that all I really want is a flavour hit and not bothered about the quantity ( so usually I just finish the whole lot of whatever it is )

I think if you have some calories reserved, savour what you're eating by eating it realllllly slowly, that way you'll appreciate it just as much even though you're having a much smaller portion.
  • rmbecker10
    rmbecker10 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thanks guys! I'll be sure to make use of this advice ^^ I love herbal tea, so I'll have to look into that!
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    Options
    I eat at night every night and lots of time it is cookies. :)

Just plan for the calories and time of day doesn't matter.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    Don't waste calories on a large breakfast. Save some to munch on while you study. And nibble on something besides junk.
  • MissNordicLight
    MissNordicLight Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I take supplements that curb the appetite.

Just out of curiosity, what supplements do you take?

Edit: This is a question to KristineW78!