Just ordered Power 90...Input wanted!!!

Options
I just ordered Power 90. Should be here Saturday. I am a little nervous. I was initially going to get P90X but figured I would probably die 5 minutes into it, then found the power90 which seemed like the perfect compromise. Any advice or results stories would be appreciated. I need the motivation.

Replies

• michelehindman
    michelehindman Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    My fiancé and I started Power 90 near the beginning of this month. Since we're both pretty out of shape, we took the first week easy by resting every other day, then "officially" started the program on 2/11.

At first, we were taking breaks every 5 to 10 minutes, panting and super sore. Now, just a little over a week of doing it regularly, we can both make it all the way through each video without taking breaks, and the soreness is mostly gone.

I know we've just started it, but I'm already amazed at how much we've both improved. If you're incredibly out of shape like the two of us, my advice is to take it slow and take plenty of breaks at first. There's no shame in that at all. You'll get better at it rather quickly, and you're less likely to quit if you don't overdo it. (If you're already somewhat active though, you may find it pretty easy to get through.)
  • jhvshadle
    Options
    That is great to know, thanks for the advice. And I am definitely OUT OF SHAPE, so I think the breaks will be a necessity. Thanks for the positive feedback.
  • rainwalkerSK
    Options
    My husband and I did Power 90 together last year. Started in April, finished in July. Over that time frame, I lost 20 lbs and dropped 2 pants sizes. I think it's a really great program for people who are just starting out, and like most workouts, you get what you put into it: when it starts to get easier, that's when you need to up the intensity: heavier weights, deeper squats, etc.

You will need to take breaks when you're starting out. The best advice I can give is to realize that this is totally normal and expected. Each time, try to push yourself a little further. If there's a point in the video where you always break, try to push past it, even just 5 seconds past it, then the next day, 5 seconds further. The biggest mistake you can make is to see the need to take breaks or modify exercises to fit your fitness level as an indication that it's "too hard" for you, or that you've somehow failed. Nope! Don't quit. Just try to do better next time. If you can't do something, realize that's your body saying "not today," instead of "not ever." After 30 days you'll start to be amazed by what you can do. You'll be pushing through things that used to be major roadblocks. That was the motivation for me: I could see, every day, that I was getting a little bit stronger.

Take measurements!! Your eyes will lie to you. Your scale will mislead you. The tape measure will not steer you wrong. From Day 1 to Day 30, you probably won't see dramatic results. Day 30 to Day 60 should be more dramatic and Day 60 to day 90 is when most P90'ers see the biggest changes in body composition. It was always really helpful to me to find people's Day 1/30/60/90 photos (check the P90 forums on the Beachbody website), to realize that maybe month-to-month the results weren't super dramatic, but if you put that Day 1 photo next to the Day 90 photo, it was amazing.

To prove that I'm not a Beachbody coach: Don't fall for the Shakeology and the supplement hype. I actually am a fan of a meal replacement shake for breakfast because I just don't have the motivation to make myself a decent breakfast most mornings, but you can get decent shake mix anywhere: GNC, Whole Foods, Target, whatever.

Edited to add: The greatest thing P90 gave me was a stepping stone out into the world of physical activity. There were so many things I wanted to try: running, trail running, rock climbing, yoga, but my lack of physical fitness and my lack of confidence kept me on the couch. After finishing P90, I completed C25k, ran a few 5ks and am signed up for a 10k leg on a marathon relay team in the spring. I've joined up with a local "outdoor adventure" club to hike, climb, and do a little trail running. I take yoga classes 2-3 times a week. And I love, love, LOVE it. Best of luck to you!!
  • jhvshadle
    Options
    Thanks for the input...I am getting EXCITED!
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    P90 is a good starting point.. stick with it and later on, move to P90x.. commitment is the key. You'll get great results with it!
  • joebanz77
    joebanz77 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Don't be nervous! I started my journey with Power 90 and lost a total of 43 lbs in 90 days. But I've gotta say that it became a stepping stone for me to do all of these other intense programs. Power 90 can seem redundant after a while but you will get outstanding results! I wish you plenty of success on your journey! :)
  • reyna99
    reyna99 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Great choice to start with P90!! Good luck!!
    My friend lost 30lbs in the 90days!
  • ladymcp324
    Options
    Changed my life!! One of the best fitness programs I ever purchased. If you get the Power 90 "Fat Burning Express" DVD with your order (which should be a free gift-add on) that DVD is awesome! Quick and targets everything!
    Good luck :)
  • ehg87
    ehg87 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    I did it last summer and lost 20ish lbs and bunches of inches. It's a great beginner program. I only had about 30 to lose, and I did hit a plateau while doing it due to the low calories. Once I upped my calories, I started losing again. Commit to it, and stick it out and you will see great results I'm sure!!!
  • joebanz77
    joebanz77 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Great to see a bunch of Power 90 grads in here. A lot of folks only know about P90X aka PX90 or Insanity. lol
  • DorfsSunshine
    DorfsSunshine Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm starting Power 90 today!
  • albopballer
    albopballer Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Hey Dorfs Sunshine, Good Luck! I'm starting mine today 2/25/2013! How did your first workout go???

I am pretty pumped/nervous/anxious!

Going to use all the positive results/feedback from this forum thread to really kick it into high gear over the next 90 days! Thanks to all!!
  • country012
    country012 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Be careful not to over do it.. If you need a break take it. You will only hurt yourself and that won't do you any good. Good luck
  • jhvshadle
    Options
    Wow, my husband and I are thrilled. Last night we finished our second workout, and I must say, I actually feel like we will both make it the 90 days, and we already feel better.
  • ronaldheft
    ronaldheft Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    When I started my weight loss journey, I started with Power 90. In fact, I actually did Power 90 three times until I felt I was at a level to move on to other programs. It was a great stepping stone for someone new to exercising regularly, and while completely difficult in the beginning, it was doable. I've since completed Insanity and other programs, and I'm really glad I made the decision to start with Power 90.

You'll do great and find yourself moving to more challenging programs in no time. Good luck!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    I'm bumping this thread because it fits my timeline. My husband and I are on day 20 of Power90. We are both at healthy weights but out of shape and need to reduce our body fat percentages. So far we have stuck to the schedule with just one rest day a week. We have both seen definite improvement in stamina, strength, and flexibility, so that is encouraging. The frustrating part is that I'm actually up a few pounds and my pants are fitting tighter. I'm hoping that it's a result of normal monthly hormones and that I will see results on the scale soon. I don't really care to lose much, but I don't want to gain. I'm trying hard not to focus on the scale, though. My husband is getting bored with the repitition but doing it together definitely helps motivate me. I know that he is counting on me to help motivate him and that in turn motivates me. I know if I push play, he will do it with me.
  • firecracker83
    Options
    Just started P90 yesterday. I'm super excited about it. Fingers crossed I can keep myself as motivated as I am now. :)
  • MegRuthie
    MegRuthie Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Starting Power 90...today!

I am working on a 90 day calendar that will tell me what day to do what. I'm also doing the Ultimate Reset somewhere in the middle, so I will pick up where I left off after the reset is over. I want to get to that "after" picture SO BAD!!
  • ahmommy
    ahmommy Posts: 316 Member
    Options
    Awesome, I'm glad to see other people doing it right now, too! DH and I just took our first set of "during" pictures yesterday and the results aren't mind blowing but we can see little changes. I'm hovering right around my start weight so I've lost the few pounds I gained initially. DH is down a couple of pounds from his start weight. We moved up to Level 3-4 a few days ago and it's kicking our butts right now. I can't wait to see the results from months 2 and 3!
  • staceycannondykes
    staceycannondykes Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I can relate to having to push my husband!! This am I was yelling at him like a drill srg to get out of bed!! He was mad but after the work out was thankful. Just keep pushing!! In the end you will both be glad you did. :)
    Have you gone over your calories? I would go over them and try to clean up a bit. Are you eating a lot of carbs?