Has any one tried CLA?

Options

Replies

• l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    true.... well can you help me out here?

there is no such thing as a magic diet shortcut. no pills. no creams. no cleanses. nothing. it's all snake oil designed to fool the gullible and take their money.

as long as your calories in < calories out, you'll lose weight. that's the secret. short of liposuction, that's the only way to remove excess stored fat.

as long as that equation is true, you can eat whatever you want. to be healthy, you'll need to worry about getting the correct nutrition, but how you do that is up to you.

Dr. Oz casts an uncritical eye on all of these weight loss schemes because he knows that's what his viewing audience wants to hear. they want some "get thin quick" scheme where they don't have to put in any effort and they'll just magically lose their 50lbs over the weekend. he may not endorse any of these products, but he gives their "pushers" a platform to push these products and is paid handsomely for doing so.

never waste your money ever again on fad diets or magic pills. save that money and treat yourself to a nice dinner out at a fancy restaurant to reward yourself for losing the weight using the common sense approach... calories in < calories out.
    As I stated above I know that there is no magic pill or anything that is going to make it happen without me doing anything. To my understanding (research, doctors, and personal trainers) CLA does way more than a diet pill will ever say. As a matter fact its not a diet pill at all. With the added nutrition that it provides to the body it targets fat. Not saying it will happen over night or even in a month. I aslo found that some people lose the wrong type of fat (the fat between your organs vs. belly fat) and muscle so CLA targets the belly fat. CLA is a supplement..... its in meats and dairy products so its not like its a magic diet pill that melts fat and all you do is sit around.

I appreciate your post but I really wanted feedback from ppl who have experience using it. As a matter fact someone messaged me about it and said they lost a LOT more fat using CLA while effectively calorie counting. I am burning more than I eat and I exercise regularly (now im not pregnant). After having a C- section I heard that your stomach never gets flat and that pouch big or small will always be there exercise or not. I was just looking for something to maybe min. it.
  • StephGettinFit
    StephGettinFit Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've just started taking it too since it was listed in Tosca Reno's list of supplements to take to aid weight loss and support a healthy lifestyle.

No sudden weight loss change to note so far but if it helps burn more over a years time (with diet and exercise), that sounds good to me!
  • l3xii
    l3xii Posts: 160
    Options
    I've just started taking it too since it was listed in Tosca Reno's list of supplements to take to aid weight loss and support a healthy lifestyle.

No sudden weight loss change to note so far but if it helps burn more over a years time (with diet and exercise), that sounds good to me!

I AGREE, an inch or two more is better than nothing plus its good for your health
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    spend the money you'd be spendind in the supplement store on grassfed meats and eggs. Yah, you don't get as much as you would from a pill, but its in its natural form, rather than processed and extracted. And you'll eat better in general.
  • AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you're bound and determined to find someone who says it will work, so just go ahead and take it. But the fact is, there's no food, pill, drug, potion, supplement, equipment or exercise which "targets" belly fat. There's no such thing as spot reducing. Fat will come off your body in the pattern pre-determined by your genetics, and nothing will change that. For some people, the belly is the very last place it comes off of (and unfortunately, I'm one of them) - all you can do is maintain a caloric deficit and eventually you'll lose it.

CLA or anything else isn't going to do it - but if you're convinced that it will, go for it.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    I tried CLA and it worked great!!!! The only thing that while you are using it, you have to make sure you're eating in a calorie deficit. Oh, and doing some exercise will help too.

1. Eat in a deficit.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Use CLA

Bonus tip. As long as you are doing 1 and 2, you can replace CLA in #3 with virtually any product you want to blow your money on.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Taken from Alan Aragon's commentary:

Conjugated linoleic acid intake in humans: a systematic review focusing on its effect on body composition, glucose, and lipid metabolism.

Salas-Salvad? J, M?rquez-Sandoval F, Bull? M. Crit Rev Food Sci Nutr. 2006;46(6):479-88.

Studies performed on different species show that the consumption of conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) leads to a loss of fat and total body weight, reduces the plasma concentrations of total and LDL cholesterol, and has an antiinflammatory effect. This article reviews the clinical trials on human beings that evaluate how mixtures of CLA isomers administered as supplements or CLA-enriched products can affect total body weight, body composition, plasma lipid profile, glycemia, insulinemia, insulin sensitivity, lipid oxidation, and inflammation. After analyzing the few studies published to date in reduced samples of healthy humans or patients with overweight, obesity, metabolic syndrome, or diabetes, we deduce that there is not enough evidence to show that conjugated linoleic acid has an effect on weight and body composition in humans. However, some of these studies have observed that the administration of various CLA isomers has adverse effects on lipid profile (it decreases HDL cholesterol concentration and increases Lp(a) circulating levels), glucose metabolism (glycemia, insulinemia or insulin sensitivity), lipid oxidation, inflammation, or endothelial function. Therefore, long-term randomized clinical trials, controlled with placebo, need to be made in large samples of patients to evaluate the efficacy and safety of CLA isomers before its indiscriminate use in human beings can be recommended.

The only CLA study done on resistance-trained subjects failed to show any effect:

Effects of conjugated linoleic acid supplementation during resistance training on body composition, bone density, strength, and selected hematological markers.

Kreider RB, Ferreira MP, Greenwood M, Wilson M, Almada AL. J Strength Cond Res. 2002 Aug;16(3):325-34.

Conjugated linoleic acids (CLA) are essential fatty acids that have been reported in animal studies to decrease catabolism, promote fat loss, increase bone density, enhance immunity, and serve as an antiatherogenic and anticarcinogenic agent. For this reason, CLA has been marketed as a supplement to promote weight loss and general health. CLA has also been heavily marketed to resistance-trained athletes as a supplement that may help lessen catabolism, decrease body fat, and promote greater gains in strength and muscle mass during training. Although basic research is promising, few studies have examined whether CLA supplementation during training enhances training adaptations and/or affects markers of health. This study evaluated whether CLA supplementation during resistance training affects body composition, strength, and/or general markers of catabolism and immunity. In a double-blind and randomized manner, 23 experienced, resistance-trained subjects were matched according to body mass and training volume and randomly assigned to supplement their diet with 9 g;pdd(-1) of an olive oil placebo or 6 g;pdd(-1) of CLA with 3 g;pdd(-1) of fatty acids for 28 days. Prior to and following supplementation, fasting blood samples, total body mass, and dual-energy X-ray absorptiometry (DEXA) determined body composition, and isotonic bench press and leg press 1 repetition maximums (1RMs) were determined. Results revealed that although some statistical trends were observed with moderate to large effect sizes, CLA supplementation did not significantly affect (p > 0.05) changes in total body mass, fat-free mass, fat mass, percent body fat, bone mass, strength, serum substrates, or general markers of catabolism and immunity during training. These findings indicate that CLA does not appear to possess significant ergogenic value for experienced resistance-trained athletes.

CLA has adverse effects on markers of cardiovascular health, without significantly affecting bodycomp:

Treatment with dietary trans10cis12 conjugated linoleic acid causes isomer-specific insulin resistance in obese men with the metabolic syndrome.

Diabetes Care. 2002 Sep;25(9):1516-21. Ris?rus U, Arner P, Brismar K, Vessby B.

OBJECTIVE: Conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) is a group of dietary fatty acids with antiobesity and antidiabetic effects in some animals. The trans10cis12 (t10c12) CLA isomer seems to cause these effects, including improved insulin sensitivity. Whether such isomer-specific effects occur in humans is unknown. The aim of this study was to investigate whether t10c12 CLA or a commercial CLA mixture could improve insulin sensitivity, lipid metabolism, or body composition in obese men with signs of the metabolic syndrome. RESEARCH DESIGN AND METHODS: In a randomized, double-blind controlled trial, abdominally obese men (n = 60) were treated with 3.4 g/day CLA (isomer mixture), purified t10c12 CLA, or placebo. Euglycemic-hyperinsulinemic clamp, serum hormones, lipids, and anthropometry were assessed before and after 12 weeks of treatment. RESULTS: Baseline metabolic status was similar between groups. Unexpectedly, t10c12 CLA increased insulin resistance (19%; P < 0.01) and glycemia (4%; P < 0.001) and reduced HDL cholesterol (-4%; P < 0.01) compared with placebo, whereas body fat, sagittal abdominal diameter, and weight decreased versus baseline, but the difference was not significantly different from placebo. The CLA mixture did not change glucose metabolism, body composition, or weight compared with placebo but lowered HDL cholesterol.(-2%; P < 0.05). CONCLUSIONS: These results reveal important isomer-specific metabolic actions of CLA in abdominally obese humans. A CLA-induced insulin resistance has previously been described only in lipodystrophic mice. Considering the use of CLA-supplements among obese individuals, it is important to clarify the clinical consequences of these results, but they also provide physiological insights into the role of specific dietary fatty acids as modulators of insulin resistance in humans.

More on CLA's adverse effects on cardiovascular health parameters, again, without improving bodycomp:

Effects of cis-9,trans-11 conjugated linoleic acid supplementation on insulin sensitivity, lipid peroxidation, and proinflammatory markers in obese men.

Am J Clin Nutr. 2004 Aug;80(2):279-83. Ris?rus U, Vessby B, Arnl?v J, Basu S.

BACKGROUND: We recently showed that trans-10,cis-12 (t10,c12) conjugated linoleic acid (CLA) causes insulin resistance in obese men. However, metabolic effects of the c9,t11 CLA isomer are still unknown in obese men. Because c9,t11 CLA is the predominant CLA isomer in foods and is included in dietary weight-loss products, it is important to conduct randomized controlled studies that use c9,t11 CLA preparations. OBJECTIVE: We investigated the effects of c9,t11 CLA supplementation on insulin sensitivity, body composition, and lipid peroxidation in a group at high risk for cardiovascular disease. DESIGN: In a randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled study, 25 abdominally obese men received 3 g c9,t11 CLA/d or placebo (olive oil). Before and after 3 mo of supplementation, we assessed insulin sensitivity (hyperinsulinemic euglycemic clamp), lipid metabolism, body composition, and urinary 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2alpha) (a major F(2)-isoprostane) and 15-keto-dihydro-prostaglandin F(2alpha), markers of in vivo oxidative stress and inflammation, respectively. RESULTS: All subjects completed the study. Compared with placebo, c9,t11 CLA decreased insulin sensitivity by 15% (P < 0.05) and increased 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2alpha) and 15-keto-dihydro-prostaglandin F(2alpha) excretion by 50% (P < 0.01) and 15% (P < 0.05), respectively. The decreased insulin sensitivity was independent of changes in serum lipids, glycemia, body mass index, and body fat but was abolished after adjustment for changes in 8-iso-prostaglandin F(2alpha) concentrations. There were no differences between groups in body composition. CONCLUSIONS: A CLA preparation containing the purified c9,t11 CLA isomer increased insulin resistance and lipid peroxidation compared with placebo in obese men. Because c9,t11 CLA occurs in commercial supplements as well as in the diet, the present results should be confirmed in larger studies that also include women.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I found something interesting that supports what Dr. Oz said. Not only have I been using the CLA but I have been taking Calcium with Vitamin D.

http://www.womenshealthmag.com/weight-loss/the-vitamin-d-diet

Don't take nutrition advise from women's magazines and steer clear of anything that purports to 'melt' or 'blast' fat.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    I tried CLA and it worked great!!!! The only thing that while you are using it, you have to make sure you're eating in a calorie deficit. Oh, and doing some exercise will help too.

1. Eat in a deficit.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Use CLA

Bonus tip. As long as you are doing 1 and 2, you can replace CLA in #3 with virtually any product you want to blow your money on.

^This

OP - you sound, from your responses, that you've pretty much made up your mind. You know there isn't a magic pill BUT...the but is basically a way to justify what you want to do. Really, if you "know" there isn't a pill and such...then why are you even "wondering" about something like this?

You could lose the weight and not spend the money..but if you really really really just want to try to see if you can "speed up" your weight loss, then go ahead and spend the money and let us know when you stop wasting the money and how successful you were at losing and maintaining that loss.
  • LiftAllThePizzas
    LiftAllThePizzas Posts: 17,857 Member
    Options
    When Oprah is skinny then there might be reason to think Dr Oz found something that worked.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    When Oprah is skinny then there might be reason to think Dr Oz found something that worked.
    yup.

until then, just send the people in this thread your money. We'll do more good for you than some stupid product that Dr. Oz is selling.
  • AnvilHead
    Options
    Exaaactly.
  • contingencyplan
    contingencyplan Posts: 3,639 Member
    Options
    I've tried most things you can get in a supplement store such as GNC, including CLA, and the only thing that has ever had any actual effect on me was a good pre-workout supplement. Everything else might have been a placebo.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    You lost me at Dr. Oz. :sick:
  • lovelee79
    Options
    I heard about, and took CLA long before Dr. Oz ever had a show about it !!!
    I took it in 2008, and I could've sworn it was working, BUT I was also doing a low carb diet at the exact same time.... so, more than likely it was the low carb diet that was working, and not the CLA.
    I don't know if there is enough scientific evidence to prove that CLA works.
    Eat healthy and exercise. Good luck on your journey. :)
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options
    I really hate that Dr Oz had to talk about it because a lot of folks around here don't like him.. I used CLA last year and lost over 10%BF in a month - going from 40% to 30%..

I believe it works - it worked for me and I have a few bodybuilding friends who use it in their daily mix of supplements. I believe Bodybuilding.com also includes it in a few of their recommended sets of supplements that they sell in their store.

To each their own.
  • dixiewhiskey
    dixiewhiskey Posts: 3,333 Member
    Options

1. Eat in a deficit.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Use CLA

This
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options

1. Eat in a deficit.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Use CLA

This

you left off the most important part of that post.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options

1. Eat in a deficit.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Use CLA

This

Adding back the excluded part of the quote:
  • AnvilHead
    Options

1. Eat in a deficit.
    2. Exercise.
    3. Use CLA

This
    Don't leave out the best part of that post: