looking for healthy recipes and food to eat

Options
I love salad, I love vegetables, I love strawberries, pineapple, oranges, blueberries, blackberries, bananas...
I would love to have healthy recipes to make for me, and my daughter to eat. My mom would love them too. I would like cheap easy recipes. I would like to know what food to eat that is good and healthy. Thanks

Replies

• digitalchique
    digitalchique Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    All of those things you mentioned are healthy for sure!

If you have a blender, put a banana, some berries, and a big handful of spinach in with some water to make a green smoothie. You can't taste the spinach at all and it's a great way to get a mega dose of fruits and veggies.

I buy big bags of beans and make big crock pots full with slices of onion and garlic. Then I separate into smaller portions and freeze. This is much cheaper than buying canned beans, and beans are very healthy. I used them most in soups, salads, and tacos.

I also make a lot of soups because they are cheap. It's kind of a pain to track them on here, but they are healthy, versatile, and cheap. It's also a great way to get rid of vegetables odds and ends that will go bad if you don't hurry and eat them. My favorite is to boil an entire head of cauliflower until it's really soft. Then I blend it with some water or broth to my desired volume. Then I throw in a few potatoes to boil. The starch from the potatoes causes the water/cauliflower to thicken nice and creamy without adding extra calories from using flour, butter, or dairy. After the part about the potatoes, you can throw in whatever veggies you like. I also usually throw in a grain like barley to make it more filling. I always make enough to have a lot leftover and then I put it into portioned sizes for lunches during the work week. I don't eat meat, but if you do, you can throw some chicken or turkey in there and it would probably taste fabulous.

OH! And my last, favorite easy cheap recipe is when zucchini is on sale, I like to slice up 3-4 at a time, sauté them with 1-2 tbsp of olive oil and garlic for 5-10 minutes (depending on how you like them) and then sprinkle with a little bit of parmesan cheese for flavor. I like parmesan cheese because it packs a lot of flavor for a little bit of calories
  • JenMc14
    JenMc14 Posts: 2,389 Member
    Options
    All of the things you mentioned are healthy, but remember, you have to eat even healthy foods in moderation. For me, I switched to the leanest cuts of meat for our favorite recipes. I don't do a lot of bread or pasta (my husband doesn't eat it at all anyway). Frozen banana, some Greek yogurt and some berries would make a great breakfast smoothie. My favorite breakfast is a toasted whole wheat English muffin, 1 egg and 1 egg white or 2 egg whites made into a "patty" with some cheese. My own version of the McMuffin!

Our go-to meals are hamburgers made with 96% lean ground beef or extra lean ground turkey, extra lean ground turkey tacos, turkey meatball bake (meatballs, spaghetti sauce and 2% shredded mozzarella cheese), meatloaf with the extra lean ground beef. I also love to use spaghetti squash and tofu (Shirataki) moddles as pasta substitutes. We use turkey bratwurst/italian sausage, too. I also adore center cut bacon! That's right BACON! You don't have to give it up. You can get 3 slices for 60 calories!

The easiest way to make this a habit and lifestyle change, at least for me, was to find ways to make family favorites healthy. Homemade pizza using flatouts, big salads with all our favorite toppings, measured and tracked for me, of course. Lots of lean meat and lower fat dairy are staples in my diet.