Pregnancy and weight loss

Options
I'm just wondering if anyone here has conceived while they were trying to lose weight? My husband and I are trying to conceive again, yet I'm also trying to get in shape and lose weight. Was just wondering if it's feasable to be able to maintain weight and get in shape while pregnant? Has anyone else been through this??

Replies

• Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options
    I'm just wondering if anyone here has conceived while they were trying to lose weight? My husband and I are trying to conceive again, yet I'm also trying to get in shape and lose weight. Was just wondering if it's feasable to be able to maintain weight and get in shape while pregnant? Has anyone else been through this??
  • sculley
    sculley Posts: 2,012 Member
    Options
    I had a friend here recently that while she was pregnant did ALOT of jogging until a certain time and then speed walked and she did alot of weights but light so more reps and she did steps/cardio and stayed the same before preggo right after... did I mention that I ENVYED HER lol.... anyways it can be done once you get preggo talk to your doctor
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    you can definately work out while pregnant especially if its something you are already doing... its actually less painful durring child birth if your fit!!!

And maintain weight? by that you mean stay the same weight you are now through out your pregnancy? not a good idea.... i know when i was pregnant with my third child and my water broke at 25 weeks we went into the hospital and the doctors were really upset because through my whole pregnancy i had not gained a pound in fact i had lost 2 pounds ..... and it wasnt like i was small to begin with i was 175 pounds!!!!! I was in the hospital for 10 days before my baby was born and they were sending me double meals for every meal because they were so concerned....(nothing like double the hospital food:sick: ) they asked me a million and a half questions like was i annorexic or bolemic (sp) ..... ii was dealing with alot of morning sickness but i wouldnt call that bulemic :laugh: .... They were VERY concerned that the baby wasnt getting enough nutrience!!!

anyways i wouldnt be extreamly concerned about your weight when your pregnant .... its natural and normal and healthy to put on some extra pounds, if you breast feed after the baby is born the weight will come off super fast too.
    j~:bigsmile:
  • ToTheLove
    ToTheLove Posts: 357
    Options
    Actually, loosing just 5-10% of your weight (this study was in obese people I believe) increases your fertility.

This being said... while moderate exercise during pregnancy is a GREAT thing, do not expect to loose weight or maintain. Your body needs the fat stores while you're pregnant. It is not safe to loose while pregnant. Eating healthy is great, but don't cut calories. Remember you have to feed your baby too!

I was worried while I was pregnant too about my weight. But really, you just need to think of it as a "break" from you goals as far as weight loss goes because you could put you and your baby in danger if you try to loose weight. Your doctor will tell you the same thing! Mine did, anyway!

Good luck conceiving! I know it's a pain in the butt to put your goals on hold for that long, but it's TOTALLY worth it.
  • Healthier_Me
    Healthier_Me Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    My hubbz and I conceived (2nd baby) while I was trying to lose weight. You can get in shape while pregnant but you have to be very careful but as to maintaining weight while pregnant... highly doubt it.

Good luck!

~Joanna:flowerforyou:
  • AJCM
    AJCM Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    I think you will be just fine!

When I got pregnant with my second baby, I was right in the middle of losing weight from the first (not a drastic diet, just going to gym and eating healthfully - I'd lost about 30 lbs prior and still had 10 or so to go). I stopped restricting calories as soon as I found out I was pregnant. Good luck to you!
    :flowerforyou:
  • Jayberian
    Jayberian Posts: 60
    Options
    I guess I should have clarified, haha. I didn't mean maintain weight the whole time, basically just gain pregnancy/baby weight rather than several extra pounds is what I meant!

Thanks so much guys! :flowerforyou:
  • peej76
    peej76 Posts: 1,250 Member
    Options
    I had lost 60 lbs, before getting pregnant (just recently had the baby!!) and I did gain way to much weight, not all of it, but that's only because I gave in to way to many cravings!! You can keep up with your lifestyle, but of course listen to your body. I wished I had of kept it up now I just have to work extra darn hard to get back where I was lol!!!
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I was just coming out of treatment for a different issue when I got pregnant 14 years ago. I was considered high risk pregnancy because of addictions, age, and miscarriages. I did not own a car and rode my bike for three months and worked full time. Then I walked for three months and worked 6 hours a day. I had several ultrasounds and tests done because I was not gaining weight. Baby was growing and tests were normal. Then I got a car and reduced my hours at work to only 4 a day and I gained 10 pounds in a month, every month for the next three. So yes, I think you can be pregnant and healthy at the same time. Walking was all I needed. And I walked A LOT.
  • pdxmomof2
    pdxmomof2 Posts: 643
    Options
    The general rule is that if it is something you already do then keep going until your body tells you to stop. So, if you are a runner then you can keep on running but dont take up running as a new sport.

No doctor is going to tell you that dieting is a good thing to do while being pregnant. Eating good while you are pregnant will probably be as close as you are able to get to dieting. Plus, you dont know how you are going to feel. You could have terrible morning sickness and not be able to keep up a regular exercise plan.

Good luck!
  • eyescatchfire
    eyescatchfire Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I think you need an extra 300 calories a day for the last 6 months of pregnancy--I think that is if you are at a normal weight, though. If an overweight or obese person gets pregnant, and gaining the healthy 25-35 pounds may cause health complications, then they should probably see their doctor about nutrition, and gaining less than the recommended weight.

Good luck! I'm actually trying to lose weight in part because I want to have a kid. (So, I'm losing weight just to gain it back...:ohwell: )