Thinking Thin

Options
Has anyone watch the new show on TLC "I Can Make You Thin", The concepts sounds good, we will see if it works.

Any comments?

Replies

• twin2
    twin2 Posts: 404
    Options
    Has anyone watch the new show on TLC "I Can Make You Thin", The concepts sounds good, we will see if it works.

Any comments?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    I tapped it (well, dvr'ed it really). I'm skeptical of anything that makes a claim like that, but I will reserve judgement until I watch.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    im a wee bit skeptical too that tapping on my face and spinning my eyes in circles will help lol
    how about i just watch what i eat and count my calories and exercise.... seems to be working fine. Or ill let you try it first and let me know how it works for you if you find a difference maybe ill try it then:wink:
    j~
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    I tried the consciously eating yesterday due to I couldn't actually count my points...and I had to eat in moderation...it did work I used a small plate and filled it once with minimal food then I had my salad...I made sure I put my untensils down and chewed my food. I have to say it worked and I had only on plate of food and salad. I did go back 3 hours later and ate 1 C of turkey soup.

He did point out and I have to completely agree that Americans in today's society do NOT take time to eat and anjoy what they eat. We are "too" busy and we feel the need to read, IM, TXT, or be on the phone while eating...afraid we (as a whole) might miss something. LIFE is TOO short...breathe....enjoy!!!!!

Anyway, It may be another "too good to be true" plans but all in all what he says is SOOO true. JMO>

:happy:

dd
  • twin2
    Options
    im a wee bit skeptical too that tapping on my face and spinning my eyes in circles will help lol
    how about i just watch what i eat and count my calories and exercise.... seems to be working fine. Or ill let you try it first and let me know how it works for you if you find a difference maybe ill try it then:wink:
    j~

I missed what all the tapping was about, but the "4 Golden Rules" so sensible--1. when you are hungry-eat, 2. eat what you want, not what you think you should, 3. eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful (chew 20 times-not sure on that) 4. when you think you are full, stop eating.
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    I hadn't heard of this show. When is it on?
  • banks1850
    Options
    well, look... I haven't watched it yet, but those 4 golden rules, IMHO aren't all that accurate. If I ate what I wanted, instead of what I need, I would be eating chinese food and pizza every day.

and if I ate when I was hungry I would never eat breakfast.

Ironically those two things were what I was doing before I started on here, and it was why I was 40 lbs overweight. Now I eat what I should, and eat at specific intervals through the day, whether I am hungry or not, not only did I lose 40 lbs in 5 months, I have kept the weight off for the other 2 months, I feel better, I look better, I can now run at distances and speeds near (not there yet but close) my college years, and I have calf muscles again. And best of all i'm PROUD of what I have done. Which makes me want to keep going, and work toward my final goals of rock hard abs.

The chewing 20 times thing I understand though, it takes a certain amount of time for the body to recognize when it's getting full, the longer you take between bites, the faster you will recognize you are full before you overeat.
  • twin2
    Options
    well, look... I haven't watched it yet, but those 4 golden rules, IMHO aren't all that accurate. If I ate what I wanted, instead of what I need, I would be eating chinese food and pizza every day.

and if I ate when I was hungry I would never eat breakfast.

Ironically those two things were what I was doing before I started on here, and it was why I was 40 lbs overweight. Now I eat what I should, and eat at specific intervals through the day, whether I am hungry or not, not only did I lose 40 lbs in 5 months, I have kept the weight off for the other 2 months, I feel better, I look better, I can now run at distances and speeds near (not there yet but close) my college years, and I have calf muscles again. And best of all i'm PROUD of what I have done. Which makes me want to keep going, and work toward my final goals of rock hard abs.

The chewing 20 times thing I understand though, it takes a certain amount of time for the body to recognize when it's getting full, the longer you take between bites, the faster you will recognize you are full before you overeat.

Good for you, stick to what works!! I am not going to quit MFP, but I am going to be more conscious on what my body is telling me.:happy:
  • zenmama
    zenmama Posts: 1,000
    Options
    Banks I agree with you on that but I still think the other stuff is good...to just add it into what we are doing now No?

Portion control
    consciously eating
    and doing it s-l-o-w-l-y...like the slowskies.....LOL

dd
  • Helawat
    Helawat Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I saw it last night, the topic was emotional eating.

My boyfriend and I just scoffed at the program because not only is it mostly common sense (stop eating when you're full) but the man he brought on to stage, he lost 130+ pounds, told the audience that he only did 15 minutes of walking per week. I'm not sure if I like the show if it's telling viewers that no exercise is alright and eating what you want when you want in moderation is the key to weight loss, there will be a few disappointed out there.

I guess that's fine for those with the strength and will power of a god but most people have a problem with losing weight from pizza, hamburgers, and other crap.

My two cents.
  • icupfunny2000
    icupfunny2000 Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    j~

I missed what all the tapping was about, but the "4 Golden Rules" so sensible--1. when you are hungry-eat, 2. eat what you want, not what you think you should, 3. eat consciously and enjoy every mouthful (chew 20 times-not sure on that) 4. when you think you are full, stop eating.

i think some of the ideas are good.... definately but they are sort of common sense ideas right?
    lol the tapping thing was you tap on your acupuncture points spin your eyes in circles hummm a song and count to five its supposed to curb your cravings.... i can just picture myself in "east side marios" doing that when i want some of that yummy bread:laugh:
    and the chew 20 times one seems sort of silly to me too guess it depends on what your eating and how full your mouth is .... chewing yogurt doesnt work so well
    j~
  • twin2
    Options
    I hadn't heard of this show. When is it on?

It was on last night at 9:00 (est) I don't know if that is the reqular time or not but you can go to www.tlc.com/thin, to check it out.
  • banks1850
    Options
    Banks I agree with you on that but I still think the other stuff is good...to just add it into what we are doing now No?

Portion control
    consciously eating
    and doing it s-l-o-w-l-y...like the slowskies.....LOL

dd

Oh, absolutely. No question. awareness is key. And it sounds like that is what it was preaching. So I'm right there with that.
  • banks1850
    Options
    and the chew 20 times one seems sort of silly to me too guess it depends on what your eating and how full your mouth is .... chewing yogurt doesnt work so well
    j~

LOL, course if you're overeating on yogurt, you have a whole new sort of issue. :ohwell:
  • cinandchris
    cinandchris Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I'm gonna go check it out now. Everyone have a great day : )
  • laurenk182004
    laurenk182004 Posts: 1,882 Member
    Options
    That yogurt comment made me laugh...that is funny. Definately not going to chew my yogurt either!
  • elatoria
    elatoria Posts: 30
    Options
    i agree with you too, banks. if i ate what i want all the time, i'd weight 400lbs. i believe self-discipline is important if you want to lost weight....
    that's just my opinion, though
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    I missed all the showings of part one and stayed up late last night to watch part two because I forgot about it being on at 9:00 on Sunday. Anyway, I loved the part about the popcorn. THAT made a lot of sense. When I'm home I'd never think about eating two gallons of popcorn, but I'll do it at the movie, just because. I strongly agree with the statement, "If you've learned it, you can learn to do it differently." I'll definitely keep those two things in mind. As far as part one goes, I don't know because I haven't seen it yet. I don't know if the tapping works, but I'm willing to give it a try, in conjunction with the good things. I'm also joining a support group, a live one, where we all sit in the same room.
  • Erica92627
    Erica92627 Posts: 576
    Options
    opps, this has been talked about. oh well. I like what I wrote.