Eating your calories burned back

Options
I was just curious how many of you eat the calories you burned from exercising?

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Food is fuel! MFP has you at a deficit before exercise, meaning eat to goal with zero exercise for the day, and you will lose weight. Factor in exercise, and you are creating a much larger deficit, which can cause you problems in the long run.

So yes, I eat back exercise cals - especially if you are set at the standard 1200 cals a day.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,404 MFP Moderator
    Options
    If you use MFP as it's designed, yes you should eat back your exercise calories. Also, limiting the deficit can help prevent a weight loss plateau.

There is an exception though. If you include exercise into your lifestyle, then NO, you do not eat back exercise calories. Below is a good read as well.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/729141-exercise-calories-to-eat-or-not-to-eat-results?hl=exercise+calories+psulemon&page=1#posts-10742097
  • momofthreesons
    momofthreesons Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    I almost always eat all of them back. I've lost over 55lb since April doing it that way. Net calories is what counts for me!
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    <raises hand>

At first I was allowing myself to eat them back, but not expecting it. But I was freezing, so now I eat them all back as often as not.