New Here- How accurate are the Calories Burned on MFP?

Options
I'm new here and they seem to be a lot higher than what the machine's at the gym say... by almost 200 calories. I am putting in my age and weight on the machines.

Thank you!

Replies

• sgtrowley
    sgtrowley Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    Get your self a heart rate monitor. But yes, the website does seem to give you to much credit. When you log an activity, just "create your own", and enter the calories in yourself.
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,420 Member
    Options
    Welcome! I agree, I don't believe the exercise calories are accurate at all. I have a fitbit and have it synced up and don't record any extra exercise. Before I had the fitbit, I used a heart rate monitor as it's more accurate. Good luck!
  • Microfiber
    Microfiber Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    I found out a couple of days ago. The calories burnt on my elliptical were much lower than what MFP stated :noway:
  • tooshee
    tooshee Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I dont have a HRM, but i think that it's possible that MFP is not accurate. For 40min of aqua aerobics it gives just 160cal burn. I dont believe it's this low. So if you are looking for accurate calorie counting, get a HRM
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    If you're inputting your age/weight into the cardio machines, the calorie output is probably pretty accurate (within ~10%).

If you need to calculate calories burned lifting, try this:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • bre8199
    bre8199 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone!!