I Quit Smoking - Now I can't lose weight!

Options
2»

Replies

• Spcbotimer
    Options
    Hi, I quit smoking about 6 months ago and contrary to what everyone else is saying, I didn't substitute cigarettes for food and it doesn't sound like you did either. I have also been on a 1000-1200 calorie diet and I keep going up and down around 3 to 4 pounds a day but no real loss. I think it has a lot to do with metabolism but I'm not sure. Wish I had some advise for you but just keep trying, I have heard it can take up to a year for your body to get back to normal after quitting
  • melanienierop
    Options
    Hello. I quit smoking just over 2 months ago and gained 15 pounds! I'm going to try and lose those 15 pounds plus the other 25 that need to go! Good luck!
  • mikieytc
    Options
    I know exactly how your feeling--I quit smoking in Nov and i went up in weight real fast--and now been working out 6 days a week and eating around a 1400-1500 cal perday diet--for the past 8 weeks and only dropped 4 lbs. I aslo went to my Doc and he told me.......not to expect much weight loss for a YEAR!!!!!!!!!!! Aye aye aye!!! But he told me to keep at it as I can still loose it very slowly and most importanly not go any higher. Just keep going, much more important NOT to smoke than to have a few extra lbs--that's what keeps me going and trying so hard everyday. Hang in there :-)
  • QuietBloom
    QuietBloom Posts: 5,413 Member
    Options
    Well, I managed to lose some weight this week, despite the fact that I quit smoking. I am very happy!

Of course, I am only eating 1200 calories and last week I went to the gym 7 days in a row....but I think I can keep this up!!

Thank you all :)

Are you eating back exercise calories? Do you use a food scale for solids and measuring cups for liquids? If you aren't losing on 1200 a day, there is an error in your calculations somewhere. Having said that, 1200 is not a one size fits all calorie number. Try running your numbers through this: http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • Vallorine
    Vallorine Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This article explains that the weight gain when quitting smoking is probably largely due to changes intestinal flora.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2013/08/130829093032.htm

Really interesting.

Maybe a probiotic would help?