need help or maybe advice

Options
RLCoach
RLCoach Posts: 65 Member
I am on a 6 month plan to lose 192,500 calories or in theory 55 pounds. That is a daily deficit of a little more than 1000 calories per day during that time. I am doing fine with this, in fact slightly ahead of schedule after about 30 days.

I couldn't do this without a lot of exercise, I get too hungry. AND when I exercise too much, I have to eat or again, I get too hungry. I try to eat good food early and often and a lot of it, so I don't pig out on bad stuff when I get too hungry. I like to exercise, so that is not a problem. My problem is that when I eat so many calories (usually between 2300 and 3000 Calories) I still have 1000 or more deficit but my sodium intake and at times my cholesterol is way too high. My fats esp. sat. and trans are good, and my carbs and proteins are crazy high. I can't give up my protein and eat a lot of ham, turkey, peanut butter, nuts, and sometimes chicken. I have some serious hunger and will cheat if I don't get enough protein it seems.

My problem is basically, because of the foods that I get protein from, my sodium and sometimes cholesterol are very high. What can I do to change that without giving up proteins. Or does anyone have advice to help my overall diet. Take a look at my food diary if you want.

Replies

• aml0484
    aml0484 Posts: 425
    Options
    I wasn't able to see your food diary but some things I have done to lower my sodium was buying Jif all natural peanut butter. I believe there is 75 mg sodium per serving which is much lower than regular peanut butter. I also eat a lot of Gold n' plump all natural skinless boneless split chicken breasts which has almost no sodium. Read and compare nutrition facts for the meats and nuts you are eating and look for salt free or reduced sodium ones. Not all are created equal so make sure you read. Hope some of this helps.
  • krystin
    krystin Posts: 14
    Options
    You might try checking out Realage.com - they have some really great articles and food suggestions! And the Real Age quiz is just plain fun...
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    I wouldn't worry about the protein or carb thing at all. Sometimes I wonder if it's possible at all to reach the nutrition goals and calorie goals at the same time. I think it may be impossible. The closer you can get to "whole" fresh foods vs. processed or packaged foods, the easier it will be to keep your sodium and cholesterol levels low.
  • thumper44
    thumper44 Posts: 1,464 Member
    Options
    Your diary is not viewable?.. what is this mystery protein your talking about? red meat?
    I can't give up my protein and eat a lot of ham, turkey, peanut butter, nuts, and sometimes chicken. I have some serious hunger and will cheat if I don't get enough protein it seems.

My protein consist of chicken(sliced deli, and roasted), cottage cheese, almonds, egg whites, protein powder, protein bars.
    Eating every 2-3 hours I never feel the urge to cheat.
  • perrim
    perrim Posts: 117
    Options
    just re-read your post...you may want to try to stay away from deli meats. I think they have lots of sodium or try to find some that you know don't have sodium in them. They may not taste as good, but perhaps you can spice them up with no-sodium additions. Nitrate free meats may have less sodium too.
  • balance9
    balance9 Posts: 160
    Options
    As mentioned, it's the deli meats and cottage cheese that have a lot of sodium. Do you eat fish?? Seafood is very high in protein (and Omega 3's) and low in sodium. I buy it individually frozen in large bags at Costco. Salmon, Tilapia, shrimp (although shellfish can be high in sodium).