BMR - MA - Because of THE answers to THE questions

Options
I thought I would post what happened to me in light of reading THE answers to THE questions post.
Maybe it wil help.

I went for a Metabolic Assessment last Friday. It is a medical grade test that let's you know what your BMR is (resting and active) and what your redzone (starvation mode) is etc.
Mine was VERY different from what everyone has been saying. I think I have been coming dangerously close to throwing my body into starvation mode. Not on purpose of course, but just because a lot of people say 1200, 1200, 1200 and mine is WAY higher than that.

I LOVE the thread titled THE answers to THE questions, so if you haven't read it do so NOW, run, run , run to the thread! And then please consider getting your own MA (metabolic assessment) done to know where your BMR is in reality so that you have 100% accurate goals. Plus if your BMR is higher than what is listed on here, you can eat more!!! GEEEZ! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:

Replies

• NurseBarb
    NurseBarb Posts: 183 Member
    Options
    I thought I would post what happened to me in light of reading THE answers to THE questions post.
    Maybe it wil help.

I went for a Metabolic Assessment last Friday. It is a medical grade test that let's you know what your BMR is (resting and active) and what your redzone (starvation mode) is etc.
    Mine was VERY different from what everyone has been saying. I think I have been coming dangerously close to throwing my body into starvation mode. Not on purpose of course, but just because a lot of people say 1200, 1200, 1200 and mine is WAY higher than that.

I LOVE the thread titled THE answers to THE questions, so if you haven't read it do so NOW, run, run , run to the thread! And then please consider getting your own MA (metabolic assessment) done to know where your BMR is in reality so that you have 100% accurate goals. Plus if your BMR is higher than what is listed on here, you can eat more!!! GEEEZ! :bigsmile: :bigsmile:
  • Mireille
    Mireille Posts: 5,134 Member
    Options
    Since I've read your post last week, I've been doing research and trying to find a place in the Toronto area that offers this assesment. I have had no luck.:grumble:

I'm gonna keep trying! Thanks! :flowerforyou:
  • astridfeline
    astridfeline Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    This is great information. What's involved in the assessment? Was it very expensive?
  • banks1850
    banks1850 Posts: 3,475 Member
    Options
    So, Cas, basically what I wrote in this:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/8977-your-body-s-thoughts-on-calories

is completely and totally accurate. Particularly number 5 :blushing:

(I mean, I knew it was, but it just seems like a lot of people don't want to believe it.)

oop...did I just toot my own horn? LOL! sorry, that was quite rude of me.:tongue:
  • lorelai63
    lorelai63 Posts: 417 Member
    Options
    Toot away Banks! We appreciate your words and info.
  • NurseBarb
    Options
    The assessment just required me to lay still for about 15 minutes while they had a mask over my face (similar to an oxygen mask only bigger and more annoying) that measured my oxygen intake and outake. <--- is that a word?..... Nothing invasive or bad it was really easy, I almost fell asleep while I was laying there.

Anyways, no it didn't cost much. Mine was like $20 although that was a student rate, I think most people have to pay about $35. I think it's totally worth it to know where YOUR PERSONAL body is at on the BMR and what you need to beware of in the caloric zone. We are all SO different!

Banks: You are absolutely right especially on #5!! My starvation mode is 1594 and my calories were set at 1600. On average I tried to save 300 or 400 calories per day because everyone kept saying 1200 but for me that is NOT the case. That alaso explains why when I went home for spring break and consumed what I thought were excessive calories, I came home and had lost 2 pounds! lol
  • lizard9800
    lizard9800 Posts: 474 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. My Polar heart monitor shows a BMR right around 1450, but I have been toying with having an assesment done for a second opinion (although here it is twice that price..!) I also went away for a week and ate more than normal calories and still lost 2 lbs. I may very well be starving myself unintentionally. Probably time to find out. I would love to eat more!!:tongue:
  • lotusfromthemud
    lotusfromthemud Posts: 5,335 Member
    Options
    Since I've read your post last week, I've been doing research and trying to find a place in the Toronto area that offers this assesment. I have had no luck.:grumble:

I'm gonna keep trying! Thanks! :flowerforyou:

Me, too (I'm in TO) if you find one, please let me know, and I"ll do the same.
  • catlover
    catlover Posts: 389
    Options
    Thank you for this. Where did you have this done. SEveral of us might start calling to have a test done but don't know where to do it??? What type of facility did it for you.
  • NurseBarb
    Options
    I had it done at my university in the fitness center. You might try a local University if you have one. Otherwise I would try a gym, or a wellness center of some kind. You might even try asking a doctor's office. Of course there's always the search the internet option.

I wish I could be of more help but I was just fortunate enough to have run into this here so it's not something that I have been super familiar with for along time.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I'm a bump-o-maniac
  • banks1850
    Options
    I'm a bump-o-maniac

Lol, THAT could be taken out of context easilly if it weren't for the cute picture of the little girl you are using for your Avatar.......... I'm just an evil crazy little person aren't I?
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    .....yes, mr. hose, you are. Your mind always goes "there". :wink:
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That could be my problem lately...I am getting frustrated so I have been cheating more than usual...what is a trusting site where I can get accurate info on my BMR. Do you guys trust realage.com? That is the site of the two doctors that are on Oprah's show. If someone knows how to calculate it right my stats are:

44 yrs old
    5'5"
    136lbs
    goal: 125-130lbs
    My job is considered sedentary, research coordinator, and I also spend a lot of time sitting using my laptop :laugh: but I exercise most days of the week (5 or 6 days a wk) minimum of 30mins of cardio (variety) and some strength training.

Please let me know the maximum amount of calories I should be eating to achieve my goal!! Thanks!!!!
  • banks1850
    Options
    .....yes, mr. hose, you are. Your mind always goes "there". :wink:

you realize I am MALE right? Where else would it go? LOL!:huh:
  • banks1850
    Options
    That could be my problem lately...I am getting frustrated so I have been cheating more than usual...what is a trusting site where I can get accurate info on my BMR. Do you guys trust realage.com? That is the site of the two doctors that are on Oprah's show. If someone knows how to calculate it right my stats are:

44 yrs old
    5'5"
    136lbs
    My job is considered sedentary, research coordinator, and I also spend a lot of time sitting using my laptop :laugh: but I exercise most days of the week (5 or 6 days a wk) minimum of 30mins of cardio (variety) and some strength training.

Please let me know the maximum amount of calories I should be eating to achieve my goal!! Thanks!!!!

Well Alf, you are smack in the middle of healthy for your BMI. 22.5. from that I would assume that any weight loss you see from here on out will be slow. I wouldn't be surprised if your weight loss was less then half a pound a week. I don't know what your expectations are so I can't really comment on that, but 22.5 is a pretty healthy BMI. I don't know if this helps at all, sorry I couldn't be more use.
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options

44 yrs old
    5'5"
    136lbs

Well Alf, you are smack in the middle of healthy for your BMI. 22.5. from that I would assume that any weight loss you see from here on out will be slow. I wouldn't be surprised if your weight loss was less then half a pound a week. I don't know what your expectations are so I can't really comment on that, but 22.5 is a pretty healthy BMI. I don't know if this helps at all, sorry I couldn't be more use.

Banks, I meant BMR not BMI. I know that according to my BMI I am healthy but I still want to weigh less, at least 130. Yes, I have not lost any weight in weeks now, stuck at 136. But most of it has been my fault anyways...overeating...what should be my BMR using the stats that I provided...MFP says a little over 1200...I "starve" when I eat that much.
  • banks1850
    Options
    I know. I was just letting you know that because of your bmi, it would be difficult to lose with any great speed.

BMR is a standard measurement.
    Unfortunately there are 2 formulas, producing different results.
    I just did yours out and it said 1268 on MFP, This site uses the Mifflin - St. Jeor formula which is regarded as the more accurate of the two.

most calculators, though, use the Harris-Benedict Formula, which is less accurate (why some sites use this one I have no Idea)
    I did this formula out on 3 different sites and they all came within 10 calories of each other but true to the formula's faulty calculations, they were all about 5 to 7% higher then they should be.
    Here are the numbers I came up with: on one site it said 1345.3, and another it said 1337.6, and yet another said 1,335

But remember (and this is where BMI comes into play), because of your BMI, this number (1268) should be a taboo number for you. Your body doesn't have the fat reserves to stay at this level. You aren't overweight so eating only 1268 calories will be too few.

Hope this helps!

And as always, NOTE: I'm no doctor, I don't even play one on TV. So take what I write for what it is, research done by a non-medical "layman"
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Just a little BUMP in the seat to start your monday.
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    ♫BUMP♪