just a little tubby, so NO SUPPORT

Options
Goal: Lose 5 lbs! AND get some amazing guns ;)

Why I'm here:
I want to be able to go biking and tan at the same time! So, just more comfy in my own skin :) No help from family/friends/the anti-exercise live-in BF, and my dog ran away. SOOOO we're stuck with forums. lol. I eat decent, don't have much to 'cut out' , and also don't have more time to donate to the gym (I'm in college). Thanks to some crazy scheduling, gym classes are also out of the question.

Questions:
Do heart rate/calorie watches work? If so, what brand should I look at?
How can I make my stomach stop growling during classes? Water does NOT help - and it can talk for a good 4 hrs of class (even after I eat breakfast)... which just gets me to use up all of my calories. And yes, everyone CAN hear it.
I need help with finding some lower back stretches and possibly some at-home exercises to strengthen this region - I'm guessing poor posture and 4-wheeling is finally starting to affect me!
Which is best for the weight loss when going at a moderate pace: Jogging, Elliptical, or Spin?
Tips for making ice water taste better? I've done lemons/limes/cucumbers... gotta keep it low-cal.
Best gym equipment for developing 'guns'? :D

Thanks for any replies! As I've mentioned, this is like my last resort in terms of motivation. If it comes down to it, though, I'm definitely willing to get a puppy! (Sounds like a win-win scenario to me! :D)

Replies

• kiffypooh
    kiffypooh Posts: 1,045 Member
    Options
    Welcome! You've come to the right place.

I really can't answer most of your stuff but I have a little info for you. What do you eat for breakfast? A protein may help or maybe a snack of a handful of almonds or something right before or in the middle of class.

For the guns. I do 30 Day Shred (Jillian Michaels from The Biggest Loser DVD) it's 20 min and it's given me guns, not huge, but nice. You can also probably do a walk through at the gym and have them show you how to do the weights.

That's about all I've got for ya', sorry!
  • oomalmal
    oomalmal Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    Gum really curbs my appetite. You can try that for the growlies.

And Welcome to MFP
  • krystin
    krystin Posts: 14
    Options
    I haven't tried gum yet - that doesn't sound bad! Thanx Oomal!

Maybe I'll break out the whey protein shakes again... haha I bought a Magic Bullet around Xmas just for those! Those things rock - Thanx Kiffy!
  • Kyliemish
    Kyliemish Posts: 29
    Options
    Welcome! I'm new here myself =P

I can agree on wanting to get some nice guns, right now I'm flying away with bingo wings lol! My biggest craving after a run is a High Impact Acai from booster juice, so yummy! I'm not much of a fitness guru, but that's why this site is so amazing! Good luck with your goals, and getting the body you want! =^__^=
  • krystin
    Options
    mmm I usually crave anything AND everything after a workout. It's bad... haha maybe if I keep in mind those 'bingo wings' it'll help to curb them! lol :D Thanks Kylie! What on earth is booster juice tho? Is that a juice-stand or a bottled brand??? Got me curious :D
  • Kyliemish
    Kyliemish Posts: 29
    Options
    Hehe, yeah, usually mine is junkfood...which is AWFUL. But I'll beat the cravings for it ><
    Hmmm, maybe like a Orange Julius type of thing, just looked it up and it's a Canada only chain, swore there were some in the US but I guess not. Boo! Basically it's a yogurt shake with "boosters" in them like calcium, protien, whey...and act as meal replacements (lots of calories!) and are delicious!
    I've started to do my own shakes in the morning to, to try and buff up my metabolism =)

Either way, it's yummy!
    v_67.gif
  • jbuffan218
    jbuffan218 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I'm a rank amateur here have no professional cred but I think if you eat protein at every meal you will really notice the grumblies going away. Especially that first morning meal. Keeps you feeling satisfied for hours .I know this works for me. I would also suggest throwing something in your bag that you can grab quickly during class. Almonds are good you could also try to find a good quality bar with high protein, they are easy to carry & ready for a quick snack between classes. Add a big drink of water and they are quite filling. My stomach ALWAYS grumbles at church and yes my soon to be brother in law can hear it sitting next to me :ohwell:
    If you need support you can always find it here.

Sorry I am no help on your membership to the gun club, since my application was rejected due to the "bingo wings" I am sporting at the moment !:laugh:
  • jessw86
    jessw86 Posts: 29
    Options
    Fiber also helps you feel full longer. I too am a college student and I take snacks with me wherever I go. I think waiting four hours before eating anything again is too long, this causes blood sugar spikes rather than keeping it steady which can really make you feel hungry. So even if it's just a little something, half a bananna and saving the other half for a lil later, same with a fiber bar, or some nuts... I think this will really go a long way and help to keep the belly grumbling to a minimum.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Questions:
    <<Answers from another amateur, but a somewhat experienced amateur>>

Do heart rate/calorie watches work? If so, what brand should I look at?
    <<Watches are pretty shaky, the heart rate monitors with the chest strap are bulletproof. Polar is a popular brand>>

How can I make my stomach stop growling during classes? Water does NOT help - and it can talk for a good 4 hrs of class (even after I eat breakfast)... which just gets me to use up all of my calories. And yes, everyone CAN hear it.
    <<Eat something silly! Just make it light and filling. Think green.>>

I need help with finding some lower back stretches and possibly some at-home exercises to strengthen this region - I'm guessing poor posture and 4-wheeling is finally starting to affect me!
    <<Pilates and/or Yoga, work on building your core. Lots of great videos out there you can do at home>>

Which is best for the weight loss when going at a moderate pace: Jogging, Elliptical, or Spin?
    <<I like my elliptical>>

Tips for making ice water taste better? I've done lemons/limes/cucumbers... gotta keep it low-cal.
    <<Can't help you, I like water just the way it is.>>

Best gym equipment for developing 'guns'? :D
    <<You're a girl, light on testosterone. You can get leaner and stronger, but you're not really gonna get big without chemical help. You have 'guns' now, they're just hidden under a little bit of bodyfat. Lose the fat and the muskles will pop. Dumbbell work will make you stronger, and a little bigger, but the toned/defined look you're after is mostly a function of bodyfat>>.

Thanks for any replies! As I've mentioned, this is like my last resort in terms of motivation.
    <<Come to the well and drink sister, we'll motivate you whether you like it or not! :laugh: >>

If it comes down to it, though, I'm definitely willing to get a puppy! (Sounds like a win-win scenario to me! :D)
    <<Sounds like a win-win for some lucky puppy.>>
  • krystin
    Options
    haha - thanks for all the replies! Great for my lunch break :) I'm definitely going to be running to the supermarket to look for some Clif bars (supposedly one of the best according to http://www.askmen.com/top_10/fitness/29c_fitness_list.html) and price out some of the Polar heart rate monitors... :D After this morning's cardio workout (I went hard, w00t -- and even did a 15 min jog when it was still 16 above out), all the tips are definitely useful :) Now if I can only convince my taste buds that whey protein tastes goooood (bleah - but is this or steroids, and the 'roids just ain't an option! ewww lol I'm getting images of Schwartzenegger as a chick).
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    To feel fuller/more satisfied, increase your *protein* and fiber intake. I'm very rarely hungry between meals/snacks.
    Cliff bars are pretty good. Cliff also makes a nutrition bar for women called Luna, and those are YUMMY, too. I usually get the protein ones because they have about 50% more protein than the regular ones, but they have more flavors in the regular Luna bars.
  • lvfunandfit
    lvfunandfit Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    Try muscle milk brand protein shakes or EAS Myoplex. They are both really good!

You can add fruit to them for extra fiber or peanut butter and banana to the chocolate flavor.

Weight training is a must to develop your muscle definition. Break it up by body parts.

Back and Biceps
    Chest, shoulders and triceps
    legs
    and do abs every time you workout and cardio at least 3-5 times per week.
    Running helps you get lean, so does spin. I also like the Arc trainer and the Elliptical for a quick high calorie burn!

Eat immediately after your workout (a protein shake, chocolate milk, greek yogurt (high in protein), etc) so you don't waste the work you put into building muscle. You should eat half your body weight in grams of protein per day. Foods like white fish (tilapia, mahi mahi), tuna, chicken breast, turkey breast, lean ground turkey, beans and lots of veggies and fruit/day. Cottage cheese is high in protein, low in calories.....same with Greek yogurt (as I mentioned). You should eat every 2-3 hrs. High fiber, high protein and try to stay away from sugary, non nutritional snacks.