Being asked how much weight you've lost

Options
1234568»

Replies

• andrianami
    Options
    I have mixed feelings about this question. Sometimes I welcome it with close friends and relatives. Other times I feel as if it is an invasion of my privacy. For example, the other day I ran into my ex-boyfriend. He did not ask me how much I had lost but he just commented on : OMG you have lost more. I told him it was rude and walked away. We have not spoken since we broke up and I thought without a hello, how are you. I was shoked by his comment and knowing he was there when I started my lifestyle change.
    Where as at yoga, one of the yogis commented on my weightloss. It was one of the most pleasant conversation I have had about my journey. I even told her how much I lost. So for me it depends on who and how it is asked. :)
  • Ke22yB
    Ke22yB Posts: 969 Member
    Options
    I started in May of 2008 and the first year or so or 100 or so pounds I had so many issues I usually wouldn't respond -- can you imagine how much I did weigh to have lost that much. Now I am used to the questions just answer it and go on of course then I get asked how long how fast and ( wait for it ) whats your secret?? When I tell them my secret is not drinking anymore changing my life completely and exercising run and gym for over 10 hours a week they aren't interested anymore and never ask again if we see each other
  • AlmstHvn
    AlmstHvn Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    A lot depends on who is asking... if it's the nosey lady who's always sticking her nose in my business or the competitive gal who is hoping it's not as much as SHE has lost., I won't talk about it. If it's someone who seems genuinely interested, then no problem.
  • nadiB
    nadiB Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    lol yeah rude or not rude??? I never actually say.....I just say something like...oooo only a few pounds or no just toned up a bit......
  • Carmella9
    Carmella9 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I think you should be flattered, alot of of the time if people ask its just because there interested and want to be able to loose the same amount :)
  • kellykaz79
    kellykaz79 Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Totally depends on who is asking. Someone I know and trust, I might tell. Nosy busybodies, I just smile and say, "A bit." When they push, I just keep smiling and saying, "A bit."

The main reason I don't like telling people is because a number seems to quantify where you are at. I'm close to my goal weight, but not there yet. And if I tell people I've lost over 40 lbs, they tend to say, "Oh that's enough. You don't need to lose any more." For whatever reason, giving out a number tends to open up people to giving you an opinion about how much you've lost or where you should be.

Also, it tends to lead to "How?!" and like others have said, no one wants to hear "Good old fashioned diet and exercise with the help of a tracking app." They almost get irritated or disappointed that you don't tell them what secret, magical pill you must be hoarding to have lost the weight (at a steady and healthy rate over the course of many months, mind you.)

I understand people's natural curiosity. Heck, I've asked the question before. But I tend to find that it comes more from people needing to justify their opinion about you and your health more than a desire to make the change for themselves or just a pure compliment
  • bioniccheese
    Options
    I never mind, but I am usually first to give the figure, others just say they've noticed I've lost weight. But I am a guy so maybe it's different, plus I am a numbers man and I find it interesting.

I wouldn't take it as rude though.
  • MsDover
    MsDover Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Again, I have no problem telling people how much I've lost, but when asked how I did it, I look around as if I'm checking to see who might be listening, then motion the person to get closer to me, like I'm going to tell them some magic secret and whisper..." there is a magic formula..... eat less, move more!" And maybe it isn't really magic, but it seems to satisfy them. :wink:
  • lamby284
    lamby284 Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Slightly uncomfortable, but more flattered than anything that a stranger has noticed. And even if you haven't actually lost any weight, it's still a compliment. I'm ok with it!
  • Anna800
    Anna800 Posts: 637 Member
    Options
    Wow I never thought someone would see this as a rude question. When I was loosing weight I would freely broadcast to my co-workers how much I had lost to keep them up to speed with my progress, whether they care or not.lol

I did have someone ask me this question once, my answer to him might have been strange though. I said "I don't know because I would have to know what weight I was the last time I saw you (years ago) because my weight goes up and down every year.
  • squinz
    squinz Posts: 136
    Options
    It doesn't really bother me to be asked. I actually quite like it when I say it out loud :D
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,535 Member
    Options
    I was just in the elevator with someone I work with on an infrequent basis. She commented on my weight loss, which I took as a nice compliment, but then she followed it up with "so, how many pounds have you lost?" Rude or not? I mean, I broadcast that number on my ticker here on the site, so it's not like it's kept under wraps, but it did kind of take me by surprise to be asked so directly.

I always say,,,,,,"Enough to get me into a Size 2" with a big cfheesie grin!
  • anna0478
    anna0478 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    I hate it when the same people say things like, "you're still losing!" When the scale hasn't budged in three months...that begins the "how much weight have you lost" convo!!
  • boopaie
    boopaie Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    It doesnt bother me at all... I'm psyched that my weight loss is noticable! Now, if someone asks me how much I weigh, then I get all uncomfortable and annoyed.