Too much protein?

Options
Belle8312
Belle8312 Posts: 2,151 Member
Hey all,
I'm sure this has been a subject or question before but I haven't seen it in any of the pages I have looked through. So my question is, is there such a thing as too much protein? I have been working out quite a bit lately (a lot of cardio and weights) so I have been doing some protein shakes along with the regular meals I am eating. I have been busting my protein limit pretty much every day by quite a bit. Should I cut back or will it eventually all even out based on the amount of exercise I have been doing?

Thanks all!
Jenn

:smile:

Replies

• maa59115
    maa59115 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Just try and aim for 1g of protein per body weight. Unless you're eating a crap ton of protein you should be fine, but excess amounts would lead to excess calories which would then lead to gaining fat.
  • dfonte
    dfonte Posts: 263 Member
    Options
    Tryn get dem gainzzz
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I think it would be VERY difficult to eat too much protein.
  • NinjaJinja
    NinjaJinja Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    I don't think there's really an absolute number on too much protein. But I do think there could be a relative number of too much protein. Say, if like 98% of your diet was protein, you probably aren't getting enough fats or carbs.. But I don't think you can like overdose on protein unless you have a medical condition that's aggravated by it.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    MFP's default macros are bull****. I think MFP's are like 15% protein or something. I shoot for 40c/30p/30hf which gives me about 1 gram per Lb of lean body mass.
  • dsendre
    dsendre Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat (feel free to check out my food diary) and had similar concerns. Since I started supplementing one meal a day with a veggie juice, I've been over my MFP limit of Carbs and Protein almost daily but still under my calorie goal.
  • jrompola
    jrompola Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    Your body can process virtually any amount of protein per serving. You actually need about 30-40g in a meal to illicit a protein synthesis response. If the protein goes beyond that, it won't go to waste. It is still used for energy and burned as fuel.