Gym not equipped for deadlifts...

Options
2»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    My gym is a small work gym. But it's free! We have dumbbells up to 75 lb, but no smith machine, and no barbells at all. I squatted and did sldl with the dumbells, and it can definitely work. I found I needed to use wrist straps for the lifts though, as I simply couldn't hold onto the dumbbells once I got over about 60 lb each hand. I've now maxed out on the dumbbells though, and need to find somewhere with real free weights! But, the work gym is still free...

Sure they won't splurge for some heavier dumbbells?
  • ElliInJapan
    ElliInJapan Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Good advice here - bumping to read later! I have the same problem, my gym has dumbbells only (and a smith machine) and there is no other gym available in a reasonable distance.
  • richardheath
    richardheath Posts: 1,276 Member
    Options
    My gym is a small work gym. But it's free! We have dumbbells up to 75 lb, but no smith machine, and no barbells at all. I squatted and did sldl with the dumbells, and it can definitely work. I found I needed to use wrist straps for the lifts though, as I simply couldn't hold onto the dumbbells once I got over about 60 lb each hand. I've now maxed out on the dumbbells though, and need to find somewhere with real free weights! But, the work gym is still free...

I'd like them to splurge on barbells and squat racks... but I don't think it's going to happen!
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

I'd like them to splurge on barbells and squat racks... but I don't think it's going to happen!

Good idea, put in the request for both of those.

Once they discover the price and get back with you with a big no, come back armed with the price for a few more dumbbells - cheap in comparison!
  • SkimFlatWhite68
    SkimFlatWhite68 Posts: 1,254 Member
    Options
    Price of new equipment
    vs
    Loss of memberships

Which will win?