I don't understand...

lukasmac
lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
edited September 20 in Health and Weight Loss
I officially weigh myself once a week at the same time (in the AM) and log it on MFP.

I do peek sometimes to see if things are going well and if adjustments need to be made.

I have been peeking 5 days in a row now because I am so confused in what I am seeing.

I have been fluxuating exactly 5lbs. Let me map it out:

Day 1 - 220
Day 2 - 215
Day 3 - 220
Day 4 - 215
Day 5 - 220

These past 5 days that I have peeked have been in the AM at the same time.

Can someone make sense of this?

***** I should add that I eat the same amount of calories every day - I am diligent of that *****

Replies

• kellykat
    kellykat Posts: 180 Member
    I've heard others say that your body can fluctuate naturally 5lbs due to water retention.
  • Mimis5
    Mimis5 Posts: 19
    Maybe you should try to trick your body by changing what you are doing....Eat your heaviest meal at breakfast, medium meal at lunch, and very light at dinner time....with a light exercise early evening to keep the "furnace" burning all night. Try that for a couple of weeks and see if things don't start moving on the scale again!
  • kwardklinck
    kwardklinck Posts: 1,601
    Are you drinking your water? Are you getting enough sleep? Did you eat too much sodium the day before? Usually when I have water weight gain, I can attribute it to one of these causes. The other thing that causes water weight gain for me is when I do strength training, I'm usually up half a pound the next day. But then after the days I run, I'm usually down a pound or two.
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Hi,

If everything is the same (food, water and all), your body will naturally fluctuate but what I find bizarre is the pattern (120,115, 120, 115, 120) which is consistently going up/down by 5 pounds. Have you double checked your scale ? If you use a gym, you might want to weight yourself there too so you can compare the difference. Just a thought.
  • KatWood
    KatWood Posts: 1,135 Member
    Don't weigh yourself every day. It won't be an accurate reflection of our hard work.
    I do agree that an exact 5lbs difference each day is odd. Try using another scale to make sure yours is working correctly.
    However, overall I think it is best to just weigh yourself weekly on the same day of the week, same time of day, etc. And even then, since we only lose a few lbs a week, the scale may not reflect your hard work for the week. I try to concentrate on the monthly trend and not to sweat the small changes in either direction.
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Personal question... how often do you ummmm..... eliminate. I went through a period of about 2 weeks where it seemed my scale did the same thing - I weigh every day. What I found was that I wasn't "going" every day... and that seemed to be reflected on the scale... I was in kind of an IBS spiral... every other day or so I didn't go - so it was uncomfortable to eat and drink as much... as soon as I went the scale dropped... but then I was back to the same cycle again.

Without knowing what your days look like it's hard to make recommendations. Do you work out every other day? Do you work out every day? How much water are you drinking? What would happen if you ate 200 calories more one day?
  • lukasmac
    lukasmac Posts: 216 Member
    I haven't really paid attention to my water pattern but I know for sure if there is a difference its only by a cup or two...

I am getting enough sleep and I watch all my intake and rarely go over on anything, even sodium (which I find the toughest to keep at bay)

I do find the 5lbs bizarre, if it was 1 or 2lbs I wouldn't be puzzled that much. My scale is not digital, it is a wheel so I know it's not precise, but it's something I've used since day one, so it is tracking my weight loss.

I don't usually weigh myself everyday. I do it once a week, but I peeked and saw this trend, and it's made me look every morning this past week to wonder whats going on.

To be honest, I don't know if I have been having bowel movements on a daily basis, but it's been close to daily. Hopefully, I don't have 5lbs of *kitten* in me. ;)

Anyhow, my official weigh in is tomorrow, so if I was at 220lbs this AM, according to my trend, I should be at 215lbs tomorrow resulting in a 5lbs loss for the week. :)
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member

To be honest, I don't know if I have been having bowel movements on a daily basis, but it's been close to daily. Hopefully, I don't have 5lbs of *kitten* in me. ;)

Honestly - you might be surprised!

My son has had some pretty major bowel issues. A few years ago on vacation he got really sick. He was 10. He began throwing up, running a fever and was really lethargic. We took him to the ER. They did X rays and discovered that he was severely impacted. They weighed him before and after they gave him an enema... he lost 20 lbs in a little over an hour. The doctor explained to us that at any given time the human colon can hold between 5-25 lbs of waste. Pretty gross, hu???
This discussion has been closed.