Should Breast Implant Weight be counted in Body Composition?

Options
I had a double Mastectomy and had immediate breast implant reconstruction last June. I wondering if the weight of the implants should be counted when I try to estimate body composition. They are not a natural part of the body..so I am confused as to whether they should count or not. I have 600cc on each side so that totals around 2.64 pounds. Thoughts?

Replies

• shaggys
    shaggys Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    :blushing: I wish I could subtract a couple pounds(39 D)
    I would just add them in,they are yours now,this way you won't try and justify any gains...
    Good luck:smile:
  • Sunsh1ne
    Sunsh1ne Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    I would think it would be basically the same as having mammary tissue counting in your weight. This sounds like a question for your doctor.
  • yasminv1
    yasminv1 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I will ask my Plastic Surgeon when I see him next week and report back what he says. I have been counting the implants into my weight since they day they put them in. A friend mentioned yesterday that they aren't natural tissue, they are not fat, they are not muscle and they are not bone so she was thinking they should not be counted in body fat composition when trying to estimate lean body mass as she thinks the silicone alters the estimates.
  • yasminv1
    Options
    Another point my friend Lisa made which made me really wonder about counting the weight of implants, do you count your clothes when you weigh yourself? Generally yes at a Doctor's office but most of us don't when weighing at home. No matter how much weight I gain or lose the weight of the implants will stay the same because they are objects not fat or tissue. They don't retain water either like tissue does.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    Since they are not natural body tissue, I would think not. If someone has a metal plate placed somewhere in their body, would that count??? I don't think so.

On the other hand, it depends on why and what you are counting. If you are simply trying to decide if you should or should not include them in your overall weight goal, I would count them, as they are a part of you and you would have them one way or another. If your implants are 600 cc each, they are actually lighter than average breast tissue too. I am having a reduction of about 900 total cc in June and my surgeon estimated the weight of the tissue to be removed at 3-5 lb.

If you are in fact trying to calculate lean mass, body fat, ect. then don't count them as a previous poster pointed out, they are not fat nor muscle and it could throw you off, I would think.
  • jusimm
    jusimm Posts: 28
    Options
    I agree with byhisgrace. I have a metal knee replacement and I don't know what it ways or care. I will have it forever....fat or thin.
  • bjberry
    bjberry Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    The implants replaced your breasts, they make you look and feel like the woman you are, they are one of the positive outcomes of a bad situation. I had a double mastectomy in 2002. I count my babies. I say keep your boobs in the weight picture.
  • pmjsmom
    pmjsmom Posts: 1,926 Member
    Options
    I have a metal plate in one leg and I just count it. I really have NO idea what it might weigh and I don't plan on it being removed. I do know that that leg is about an inch bigger around but, oh well, it works just fine so I don't let it bother me!
  • yasminv1
    Options
    I agree they should definitely count when I get on a scale but not convinced implant weight should count when determining fat % or lean body mass % because my breast tissue was made up of fat before the mastectomy but the implants are not fat or muscle or tissue..they are just silicone sitting in me. I am intrigued to see what my doctor says. The implant might still weigh a little more than what my natural breasts weighed because I was an AA before mastectomy and decided to treat myself to a DDD during Breast Reconstruction.
  • GingerSnark
    GingerSnark Posts: 153
    Options
    If they only weigh 2.4lbs, what's the big deal? It's not like the extra 2.4lbs is going to have a drastic swing towards your BMI. You step on a scale, you count everything.
  • yasminv1
    Options
    The big deal is I have to keep my fat % at a certain range in order to reduce my chance of breast cancer recurrence. I can't afford $60 a month to track my fat % at the local University so I am counting on estimating with lean body mass calculations not BMI or weight alone.
  • byHisgrace
    byHisgrace Posts: 175
    Options
    The big deal is I have to keep my fat % at a certain range in order to reduce my chance of breast cancer recurrence. I can't afford $60 a month to track my fat % at the local University so I am counting on estimating with lean body mass calculations not BMI or weight alone.

I picked up a scale that calculates body fat for under $30.00 at my local Wal Mart. However, I have no idea how accurate it is :(

This is an interesting article on the accuracy of body fat scales. http://www.goodhousekeeping.com/product-testing/reviews-tests/health-beauty/body-fat-scales-jan03

Is is possible for you to get your body fat measured once at a university and then keep track of increases/decreases at home on one of these scales?

Really, this is a question for your doctors, and even they may not know the best answer :( Logic says they should be left out of the equasion because they are not body tissue, but logic doesn't always work.
  • megamom
    megamom Posts: 920 Member
    Options
    I have a metal plate in one leg and I just count it. I really have NO idea what it might weigh and I don't plan on it being removed. I do know that that leg is about an inch bigger around but, oh well, it works just fine so I don't let it bother me!

Gee, I never thought of that, I have screws in my back and plates and screws in my neck. Maybe I should knock off a pound, LOL.
  • mariena
    mariena Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Normal breast tissue counts when you weigh in as it is fatty tissue and contributes to your overall body fat percentage. When you are overweight you usually have more breast tissue and as you lose weight, most women find that they lose in that area first anyway. I have implants, but did not have a mastectomy, so I DO NOT count my implants as it is impossible to lose that "weight". But I can see you counting it since they did remove your natural tissue. As was said above if it is really only like 3 lbs it shouldn't really matter. I understand you want to stay in a certain body fat percentage for risk of getting cancer again, but if you are worried about a 3lb fluctuation, then you are cutting it way too close. I suggest getting down to a weight where you don't need to worry about gaining a few lbs here and there. Honestly any normal female body will fluctuate up to 3-5lbs daily anyway depending on food intake, water retention and bowel movements.
  • cdagirl1
    cdagirl1 Posts: 1
    Options
    I think the original question was regarding % body fat when anylized on a body composition machine. There have been studies done to show that silicone implants, but not saline implants, are recognized as adipose tissue ie. fat.
  • yankeedownsouth
    yankeedownsouth Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I have had reconstruction also, and I consider my silicone as real parts of my body. Never thought of factoring them out of any weight or body fat equation. They're honestly a very small part of your overall weight/body fat picture...
  • ellen7446
    ellen7446 Posts: 4 Member
    edited May 2016
    Options
    Hi,

I had the same produce and have been tracking by BMI and my body fat and entering my food diary daily. I work out 3 times a week with a trainer and go to the gym about 4 for 5 days per week, which includes plenty of cardio. I have been using MFP dailying for over a year and its linked to my withing scale, which calculates weight, BMI and body fat. I haven't been able to hit my pre-surgical weight, but I am very happy with my over-all strength and general appearance, but really miss my real breasts!! I am still adjusting to how I look and feel. However, health comes first and I have been cancer free for three years.

I also want to know the answer to the very same question. I'm worried about having too much body fat, because I eat well an exercise. I just wanted was interested in finding out if my goals were realistic.

Personally, I feel very fortunate that procedure vs some of the medieval surgeries that women before us had to undergo.

That being said, according my surgeon who I just spoke with. They count as neither, body fat or muscles mass. Interesting right?

They feel don't like real breast tissue and they weigh more. Although, I wish mine were a bit smaller. I wore a C cup before the surgery and still wear the same bra, but they look much bigger. Each of my implants is 480 cc, which is a little over 1 pound. That's pretty heavy, in my opinion. I'm going to dig around for more information, but as far as my weight - I just learned that I am below my pre-surgical weight, but my scale adds gives me too extra pounds.

I am considering them dead weight for now. If they were considered body fat, it would be fat that would be impossible to loose and they are definitely not lean muscle mass. So, I belive what my doctor said.

For those of you that may think this is a sliver lining, (perhaps it is for some woman who may want to increase or decrease their cup size). Make no mistake breast cancer, is awful and this not cosmetic augmentation procedure. This is very rough surgical procedure. It's no walk in the park.

All of mt breast tissue was completely removed and replaced with implants. As far as selecting the size and the shape of the implant after my double mastectomy. The same options as an augmentation do not apply. My procedure is called: "nipple and skin sparing" I have all my skin and my nipples. My scars are underneath the crease of my breasts. These scars are quite large and thick, but not visable when I look in the mirror. Personally, I feel quite lucky, but do not wish this on anyone.

1 out 8 women will get breast cancer. I had annual mammograms starting at the age of 40. Which is the reason why a why a 5mm, stage 1 tumor was found earlo on. Early detection matters! I was fortunate enough to be in the 99 percentile that did not need chemo. I can't stress enough, the importance mammograms and breast sonograms.

Early detection can save your life, I'm living proof.

• robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    I would count breast implants as permanent water weight. So yes part of lean body mass not fat.
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    robininfl wrote: »
    I would count breast implants as permanent water weight. So yes part of lean body mass not fat.

But not metabolically active so likely to mislead calculations.