Supported Girl Scouts - now have too many cookies!

Options
How can I get rid of the Girl Scout cookies I bought? I thought I could just keep them in the freezer and bring them out a box at a time, but that's not going to work (not with my willpower).

I don't want to just throw them away.

Any brilliant ideas out there?

Replies

• sashastackhouse
    sashastackhouse Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Aww man, if you had any thin mints you could mail them to me ;)

But honestly, the best thing to do is just give them out to other people. Neighbors, friends, coworkers, your kids' teachers.... anyone really. I don't think anyone will turn down girl scout cookies. When I would bake a bunch of treats, I would leave them in the break room at work with a little note. They disappear pretty quickly after that.
  • gwensoul
    gwensoul Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Make friends at work?
  • pobalita
    pobalita Posts: 741 Member
    Options
    Donate them to a food bank or put them in the kitchen at work. They will be enjoyed for sure.
  • freelancejouster
    freelancejouster Posts: 478 Member
    Options
    Have your family or whoever you live with hide them from you. That's what I do whenever I have cookies or candy around. When I want a pair of cookies or a sucker, I just ask them and they grab it for me! That way I can't have them whenever I want and I still get to have them!
  • Km0714
    Km0714 Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    you should donate them to a homeless shelter or soup kitchen! or save them for when you reach your goal and deserve a treat!
  • sjstick
    sjstick Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    OMG! If you were closer, I would buy your tagalongs! Major weakness. LOL I like the donation idea.
  • peacefulsong
    peacefulsong Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    I took them all out of the boxes and put them in ziploc bags in individual servings. Then when I want some I grab a baggie and I can eat the whole thing. :) Sounds like it wouldn't be very helpful but it has been for me.
  • sweetsarahv
    sweetsarahv Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    omg i want your tagalongs!!!!!!!!!
  • lambchoplewis
    Options
    Pay the girl scout and ask her to give or sell them to someone else. Her troop can use the extra $$$!!!!
  • josiereside
    josiereside Posts: 720 Member
    Options
    we just got three boxes... going to hold off and having any until after our vacation in less than 2 weeks and then I will practice portion control.... that is, if my husband does not eat them all before then.... got to learn self control without feeling deprived... unless you are in the early stages and cannot have trigger foods around... it took me a long time to get to the point that I can have something like that in the house and not eat the whole box in 1 sitting.
  • Maelay
    Maelay Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I took them all out of the boxes and put them in ziploc bags in individual servings. Then when I want some I grab a baggie and I can eat the whole thing. :) Sounds like it wouldn't be very helpful but it has been for me.

This is what I plan to do, and to keep them in the freezer.
  • Rose_bee
    Rose_bee Posts: 226 Member
    Options

This is what I plan to do, and to keep them in the freezer.

Brilliant you two!! :D Snack-size ziplock bags here I come! :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Pay the girl scout and ask her to give or sell them to someone else. Her troop can use the extra $$$!!!!

This ^^ is what I do. I just donate some money and skip the cookies. But, since you already bought them, if you work, take them to the office and put a note on that says "Help yourself". They'll be gone in no time. If you don't have an office, homeless shelters or women's shelters (which often also houses children) would love to have them.
  • stestut
    Options
    Give them back to the girls you bought them from. Most troops have booths outside of stores. Consider your purchase a donation and let them resell them.
  • RMeDude
    Options
    When I was deployed we LOVED getting GS cookies. Definitely think about sending some to the Soldiers overseas!
  • jenfoxjercha
    jenfoxjercha Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    See if you have an family or friends that know someone serving in the military and send them to them.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just give the troops 20 bucks and tell them to keep the cookies. The troop thing seems like a good idea.
  • walleyebob977
    walleyebob977 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    I just give the girl scouts 20 bucks and tell them to keep the cookies. They only make 50 cents off each box I heard. The troop thing sounds like a awesome idea.
  • schaskes
    schaskes Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    As a mother of a girl scout who has made the "500 club" (500 boxes sold) - first of all, thank you for your support! And I agree with people who suggest bringing them to work, meetings, or food banks (if they will take them). If you don't have places to bring them, you could stop by a local public school and offer them for a teacher's lounge or the fire/police station.

And for next time, you can always buy boxes that get sent to soldiers overseas - it's a great way to support without the calories.
    But again, thank you!
  • rissadiane
    rissadiane Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    When I was deployed we LOVED getting GS cookies. Definitely think about sending some to the Soldiers overseas!

That is such a good idea! I might send a few boxes too!

PS - thanks for your service! :flowerforyou: