Is this accurate?

Hi all! I have noticed something with MFP and I was wondering if anyone had any input. When I eat under my calorie goal without exercise it tells me I am eating to few calories. However if I exercise on a day that I eat under my calorie goal I do not get this message. Is this a MPF bug or is it true that if you work out calories don't matter???

Replies

• seena511
    seena511 Posts: 685 Member
    no, your net is what you need to pay attention to. for whatever reason mfp only pays attention to total calories consumed.
  • tunzjnky
    tunzjnky Posts: 8 Member
    my net? what do you mean?
  • jzammetti
    jzammetti Posts: 1,956 Member
    MFP assumes you are using their suggested calroei intake and eating back exercise calories. So, if you eat under what it tells you to eat by a significant amount (there is some number they assume) you will get that message.

Be sure to eat back your exercise calories if you use the MFP default settings.

Net calories are total calories - exercise calories (so, eat 1200, workout 300 = 900 calories netted for the day)
  • I was confused about net calories too. Should we eat back to the goal?? this is what mine looks like:

Your Daily Summary

394 Calories Remaining ............. is that the additional I should eat??
    Goal Food Exercise = Net
    1470 1740 - 664 1076
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Eat to zero. You don't want to have a lot of calories in the red or in the black. Get as close as possible to whatever number it says you have to eat for the day.
  • tunzjnky
    tunzjnky Posts: 8 Member
    It's odd though. If I excercise it does not say im eating to little if I'm under by around 100 or so. But if I don't workout it tells me to eat.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    You and I weigh close to the same. Males have different metabolisms than females, but there's really no reason for you to be hovering around 1200 anyway. You could lose weight steadily around 1600-1800, plus exercise calories. Make this easier on yourself