No Exercise and weght loss

Options
I am doing no exercise per say other than normal every day tasks. I have health issues that limit me and the calories I have been told to consume are 1200 which I think is far to high to loose weight by so I have dropped them to between 600 and a 100,000 I haven't,gone over for what I am aware,
but I don't feel like I am loosing, I have been doing this for nearly three weeks now I started a while before I logged back into this site. I really don't feel any different. I don't have regular access to any scales. any tips on what else I can try ??

Replies

• Yooperm35
    Yooperm35 Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    you are probaby in starvation mode. You shouldn't go below 1200 calories. A BMR is the amount of calories that your body NEEDS to sustain life. These calories are burned by every little thing that you do, including breathing. Your normal everyday tasks are burnhing calories. Up your intake to 1200 and you will notice a difference
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming you meant between 600 and 1000, not 100,000? :tongue:

Even so, the site gives you 1200 because it is the absolute minimum recommended cals for women. Even without exercise, I'd be willing to bet you need more than 1200 a day - unless you are very very small, your BMR is likely higher than that, certainly higher than 600-1000.

Eating too little over a period of time can cause more harm than good, and won't get you the results you desire. How much weight are you trying to lose? A good way to drop the fat is to eat the right number of cals for your body, basically an amount between your BMR (basal metabolic rate, essentially coma calories) and your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure, the amount you burn all day through normal activity, walking, household chores, grocery shopping, etc).

Eat too little and you're giving your body a reason to store fat rather than burn it. Have a look at this topic - great info there and tools to help figure how much you should be eating: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/654536-in-place-of-a-road-map-2-0-revised-7-2-12
  • lisa483
    lisa483 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    You should not consume any less than 1200

Work out your BMR and TDEE. Eat above your BMR

Run your numbers through this site scoobysworkshopcalculator
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    You have 115 pounds to lose? 600 calories is very, very unhealthy! You should do some reading and educate yourself on health. Do what Lisa483 has suggested and figure out your numbers.

Take me for example. I'm 30 and weigh 236 pounds. The calculators say my body burns around 2500 calories a day. I can chose to lose weight by not exercising at all and just reducing my calories. If I reduce by 700 a day I'll lose around 2 pounds a week (average of course). Now if I chose to increase my exercise, I can eat more and still lose the weight.
  • mmddwechanged
    mmddwechanged Posts: 1,687 Member
    Options
    I lost 10 lbs not much exercise and eating between 1600 and 1900 calories a day.
    600 calories a day makes a person very unhealthy in mind and body.
  • kwilliams386
    kwilliams386 Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    The doctor told you you shouldnt exercise because of your health issues?
  • 30ismyyear
    30ismyyear Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Also, no access to scales isn't really a bad thing. Your body will lose weight and you'll be able to tell by how your clothes fit. Track your measurements on a bi-weekly basis to see your progress.

Also, another saying goes - it takes 4 weeks for you to notice a difference, 8 weeks for a friend/family member, 12 weeks for an acquintance. I think for those of us who have over 100 pounds to lose you can tack on another 4 weeks for good measure. That means it **might** be 3 months before someone says to you, "Oh, have you lost weight?"
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    between 600 and a 100,000

i generally eat under 100,000 cals too

it's slow going :)
  • cee134
    cee134 Posts: 33,711 Member
    Options
    First, talk to your doctor before you start any diet, he/she can help tailor a diet that fits your body type. If nothing else eating to few calories means you aren't getting enough nutrition and you could easy become malnourished.

second, eating too few calories means when you get off your diet, you will gain weight back twice as fast if you don't balance your body.

Eating 600 calories is unhealthy no matter what. Start eating more immediately unless you are a foot tall.

Also, side note, it is not "per say", it is "Per Se" which is Latin for "by itself" or "in itself".
  • purpleipod
    purpleipod Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    lol

1200 is far too high to lose weight? On what planet?
  • perkypolly
    perkypolly Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    no I didn't say my doctor said don't exercise, I find it hard to exercise because of my health issues, i couldn't go to a gym, i couldn't go for a long walk. my mobility is limited.

also when i said 1200 is too many calories to loose weight, i didn't mean for weight loss for everyone, i felt personally for me, because of my limited mobility.
  • dangerousdumpling
    dangerousdumpling Posts: 1,109 Member
    Options
    Even with your limited mobility your body surely uses more than 1200 calories per day. Try using a bmr calculator to find the bare minimum your body needs. You'll be surprised.
    Please don't eat 600 calories a day. You'll feel terrible and do more harm than good. And why not educate yourself on what your body needs? Get the facts instead of guessing for the best results. You don't have to starve and be miserable to lose weight.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/tools/bmr-calculator
  • volume77
    volume77 Posts: 670 Member
    Options
    u know what..............nevermind
  • Vicstar1977
    Options
    between 600 and a 100,000

i generally eat under 100,000 cals too

it's slow going :)
    LMFAO!!
  • RobinV_Seattle
    RobinV_Seattle Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    My advice would also be to figure out your BMR and TDEE numbers. For instance, I weigh about 169 at 5'6". The minimum number of calories I need to maintain body function is 1517 even if I did nothing more than lay on the couch all day. Even while trying to lose weight, you need to provide your body with fuel.

Best of luck!
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    I'm close to you in age (46) and need to lose about 80 lbs. I am the definition of sedentary - I work a desk job at home so I don't even have a commute that gets me moving. My daily calorie expenditure is about 2,000 calories, as confirmed by my Fitbit. I eat between 1300 and 1600 calories a day, usually the lower end, and I'm losing weight.

That being said, if you stay with the <1,000 calorie a day routine you will lose weight, just not the parts you want to lose - and you're screwing up your metabolism which will make losing weight and keeping it off that much harder in the future.

Try this TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure) calculator. It's pretty accurate for me: http://thefitgirls.com/tdee-calculator.aspx
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I also have mobility problems. I've had 2 back surgeries.
    All of my weight loss came as a result of calorie reduction.
    If MFP's calculation says 1200 is good for you, follow that.
    You'll lose.
  • matt2442
    matt2442 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    1200 is not too high to lose weight. at all...it's actually low for most people...I know people who have lost weight eating 2000 a day....food isnt EVERYTHING, although it is a big part of it...you need to excercise. your muscles need to be worked and there isn;t much of an excuse if you have two arms, and two legs
  • Ed98043
    Ed98043 Posts: 1,333 Member
    Options
    Also, have you been weighing and logging your food every day to get an accurate calorie count? If not, you might be underestimating your calories per day. And since you don't have a scale, you could also be underestimating your weight loss. I've lost 8 lbs and I can't tell at all until I get on the scale. As per some threads on here, it can take 20 or more pounds lost before people can see it in themselves.