Chia/Hemp!

Options
Has anyone incorporated these into their diets with any success? I have herd some great stuff about their fiber and protein contents. Was wondering what you guys think or if you know how to incorporate these in a palatable manner? Also, if you guys know where to buy? Thanks!

Replies

• renitawalker9
    Options
    I have chocolate chia seed protein "pudding" for breakfast every morning. I eat it in the morning because it keeps me full a really long time and if I ate it any later I wouldn't make my calorie counts for the day. Plus it proactively solves my chocolate cravings.

2 TB Chia seed
    1 TB carob powder (or cocoa)
    2 TB (1 serving) brown rice protein
    1/2 cup milk (I use coconut milk)
    1 packet stevia
    Mix together and let sit for a few minutes. The chia soaks up many times its weight in liquid so this becomes a nice thick pudding.
    I usually top with 1 cup mixed berries. Whole thing is about 300 calories and very filling.

buy at any health food store. my regular grocery store has a health food section that even has them. Not hard to find these days.
  • katied37
    Options
    I use chia seeds all the time!

I include a tablespoon of chia seeds in a green smoothie every morning. My favorite smoothie is spinach, almond milk, banana, natural peanut butter, and chia seeds. Sometimes I'll change up my breakfast and have steel cut oats with a tablespoon of chia seeds sprinkled on top and some sliced up banana. Chia seeds are also great sprinkled on top of any salad. I'm not a huge baker, but I know that there are many healthy recipes for baked goods and other desserts that include chia seeds. You should look up some recipes online if you're interested. They are totally tasteless and so fantastic for your health. When I put them in my breakfast smoothie, I am full all morning.

Hope this helped!

Katie
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in my oatmeal.
  • shan056
    Options

I include a tablespoon of chia seeds in a green smoothie every morning. My favorite smoothie is spinach, almond milk, banana, natural peanut butter, and chia seeds. Sometimes I'll change up my breakfast and have steel cut oats with a tablespoon of chia seeds sprinkled on top and some sliced up banana. Chia seeds are also great sprinkled on top of any salad. I'm not a huge baker, but I know that there are many healthy recipes for baked goods and other desserts that include chia seeds. You should look up some recipes online if you're interested. They are totally tasteless and so fantastic for your health. When I put them in my breakfast smoothie, I am full all morning.

Hope this helped!

Katie

Katie, Thanks so much, this totally helps! I just got a blender and have been excited about trying some new smoothie recipes. That's awesome that they are tasteless and wont throw off my new breakfasts :)

1 more question....whats the difference between steel cut oats and regular oats? We are talking about oatmeal right? :/
  • shan056
    Options
    I have chocolate chia seed protein "pudding" for breakfast every morning. I eat it in the morning because it keeps me full a really long time and if I ate it any later I wouldn't make my calorie counts for the day. Plus it proactively solves my chocolate cravings.

2 TB Chia seed
    1 TB carob powder (or cocoa)
    2 TB (1 serving) brown rice protein
    1/2 cup milk (I use coconut milk)
    1 packet stevia
    Mix together and let sit for a few minutes. The chia soaks up many times its weight in liquid so this becomes a nice thick pudding.
    I usually top with 1 cup mixed berries. Whole thing is about 300 calories and very filling.

buy at any health food store. my regular grocery store has a health food section that even has them. Not hard to find these days.

Thanks! That sounds awesome. I will have to sub this in for my egg white omelets some mornings :) Looks like I will be hitting trader joes soon :)
  • i_luv_irs
    i_luv_irs Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I just bought some chia seeds yesterday and put them in my oat bran cereal this morning. Didn't notice any big taste difference.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I have pumpkin chia pudding for breakfast:

1/2 C canned pumpkin
    1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
    2 TB chia seeds
    2 TB maple syrup
    1 TSP cinnamon
    Dash of nutmeg

I mix it all together right before I work out and stick it in the fridge and eat it after I work out. The first time I made it I used 3 TB chia and needed 3 TB maple syrup. I cut down the chia because it's expensive and gradually cut down the syrup to 2 TB. I think the batch is 273 calories?

My husband puts chia in the kids oatmeal when he makes it.
  • Cadori
    Cadori Posts: 4,810 Member
    Options
    I just bought some chia seeds yesterday and put them in my oat bran cereal this morning. Didn't notice any big taste difference.

They don't have much flavor on their own. They're excellent sources of fat and protein and offer a gelling quality when mixed with liquid.
  • suzely0530
    suzely0530 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    Has anyone incorporated these into their diets with any success? I have herd some great stuff about their fiber and protein contents. Was wondering what you guys think or if you know how to incorporate these in a palatable manner? Also, if you guys know where to buy? Thanks!

I've used help seeds...added them to my salad, yogurt, etc. They're good (taste like sesame seeds to me) , but I didin't notice much of a difference. I found Hemp seeds at Sprouts Farmers Market. I'm sure they sell them at Whole Foods or other "crunchy" (lol) stores.
  • katied37
    Options

Hope this helped!

Katie

Katie, Thanks so much, this totally helps! I just got a blender and have been excited about trying some new smoothie recipes. That's awesome that they are tasteless and wont throw off my new breakfasts :)

1 more question....whats the difference between steel cut oats and regular oats? We are talking about oatmeal right? :/

I think that steel cut (or Irish) oats are less processed than regular or rolled oats. I like the taste and texture better. Steel cut oats are a little more dense and taste "toastier" to me somehow. I think it's a matter of preference! My only gripe about steel cut oats is that they take much longer to cook - 10-20 minutes on the stove, as opposed to a few minutes in the microwave for rolled oats.
  • made2wonder
    made2wonder Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I put chia seeds in my oatmeal, but the puddings sound great. Thanks, ladies.
  • shan056
    Options

Hope this helped!

Katie

I think that steel cut (or Irish) oats are less processed than regular or rolled oats. I like the taste and texture better. Steel cut oats are a little more dense and taste "toastier" to me somehow. I think it's a matter of preference! My only gripe about steel cut oats is that they take much longer to cook - 10-20 minutes on the stove, as opposed to a few minutes in the microwave for rolled oats.

Thanks again. Do you just make them ahead of time?
  • skuehn48
    skuehn48 Posts: 2,887 Member
    Options
    I have been using chia seeds in the mornings with my yogurt and fruit with a little granola. I also use them in bran muffins. There are lots of recipes out there. I have also done something similar to the pudding.

2 Tbs chia seeds
    1/2 cup milk
    1/2 scoop protein powder ( I use 100% whey protein)
    2 Tbs peanut butter

Mix chia seeds and milk and let sit for 20 minutes then stir in protein and peanut butter. It has a tapioca texture and tastes like a chocolate peanut butter cup.

Good luck!
  • ctyre
    ctyre Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I use chia in all sorts of things, but my favorite is in yogurt. I buy them at Costco. I also buy a cereal that is buckwheat, chia seeds and hemp hearts two brand names I know of are holy crap and Qia. Keep you felling full.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    I eat hemp seeds all the time. They have all your EFAs.
  • healthywtb
    healthywtb Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I add chia seeds to smoothies and sometimes to steel cut oats.
  • annepage
    annepage Posts: 585 Member
    Options

Yes, started chia seeds a couple weeks ago. Chia eggs (egg substitute-3 tbsp water, 1tbsp chia seeds) as substitutes in baking and I'm LOVING chia oatmeal. I'm huge on texture, so I love the way the texture the chia adds to the oatmeal. There are also some chia pudding recipes such as this one:

http://paleoparents.com/2012/christys-chia-pudding/

Good luck and have fun. :)
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Texture-wise chia goes well with oats when making oatmeal. I stir them in towards the end of cooking. Chia imparts no flavor. I like it in all my porridge combinations, for its added protein and fat to reduce the insulin response from an otherwise heavy grain carb food,

I tried in hemp in baked goods, but found the flavor unpalatable.
  • renitawalker9
    Options
    I have pumpkin chia pudding for breakfast:

1/2 C canned pumpkin
    1/2 C unsweetened almond milk
    2 TB chia seeds
    2 TB maple syrup
    1 TSP cinnamon
    Dash of nutmeg

I mix it all together right before I work out and stick it in the fridge and eat it after I work out. The first time I made it I used 3 TB chia and needed 3 TB maple syrup. I cut down the chia because it's expensive and gradually cut down the syrup to 2 TB. I think the batch is 273 calories?

Mmm I have a can of pumpkin I've been trying to figure out how to use. I think I'll alternate this with my chocolate. Thanks!
  • SheriKCourtney
    Options
    YUM! I have got to try this!