Wheat or not to Wheat?

Options
Why are wheat products higher in calories than "white" products?

Replies

• imtrinat
    imtrinat Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    The white stuff is so processed that it is almost completely devoid of any real nutrition. That's the gist of it. Don't confuse "whole wheat" with "mulitgrain". Multigrain is almost as bad as white if it doesn't contain whole grains.

Edit: Sorry, I somehow missed what you were asking. Whole grain isnt necessarily higher in calories. It just depends on the sugar and fat content, among other things, of the individual product.
  • ShariTho1
    ShariTho1 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    When I look at whole wheat bread, pasta or brown rice they are all they seem so be substantially higher in calories. And alot of the weight watchers or healthy recipes I find calls for long grain rice or white rice.....what is a person to do? I mean it is all about calories right?:huh:
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 10,018 Member
    Options
    When I look at whole wheat bread, pasta or brown rice they are all they seem so be substantially higher in calories. And alot of the weight watchers or healthy recipes I find calls for long grain rice or white rice.....what is a person to do? I mean it is all about calories right?huh

Fat is higher in calories than wheat....maybe cut out fat and wheat and avocados are also high in calories as well...what to do?
  • shabbychick81
    shabbychick81 Posts: 168 Member
    Options
    to me its way more than calories, its fuel for your body.
  • palmerar
    palmerar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I would always always go for 100% whole wheat whenever possible, while the caloric content may be a little bit higher the whole wheat products will most likely fill you up with a smaller serving.

While the basic concept of a calorie deficit to lose weight does work. I think that you will find that by eating nutrient dense (packed with vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber etc) food while higher in calories is almost always going to keep you feeling satisfied longer than something less nutrient dense with a lower caloric impact (100 calorie packs, white bread, etc).
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    I would always always go for 100% whole wheat whenever possible, while the caloric content may be a little bit higher the whole wheat products will most likely fill you up with a smaller serving.

While the basic concept of a calorie deficit to lose weight does work. I think that you will find that by eating nutrient dense (packed with vitamins, minerals, protein, fiber etc) food while higher in calories is almost always going to keep you feeling satisfied longer than something less nutrient dense with a lower caloric impact (100 calorie packs, white bread, etc).
    well said
  • langsyne
    langsyne Posts: 106 Member
    Options

well said
    ditto
  • Kelley528
    Kelley528 Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I have noticed whole wheat or healthy grain products are the same amount of calories or less so I dont know what foods you are looking at.

For example:
    - the whole wheat bread I buy is 70 calories per slice compared to the white of the same brand for 80.
    - Whole wheat pancake mix is 150 calories for 1/2 a cup dry mix compared to the "regular" pancake mix which is 150 calories for 1/4 cup.
    - Whole wheat pasta is the same as white pasta: 200 calories for 2oz.
    - My whole grain, high fiber cereal is 80-90 calories per serving compared to regular cereal which is 120-160 per serving ( depending on the brands you like)

Those are the main ones I can think of off the top of my head but I know there are more low-calorie whole wheat/ healthy grain products that are the same.