Getting Rid of Cable

Options

Replies

• McChubbyruewho
    Options
    Yea my husband and I were with out cable for years! we have over 2 thousand DVD lol.

we got cable again acouple years ago, then we wanted to cut back on money so got rid of it again.

I will tell you Netflx ROCKS! you will not need cable if you have netflix!

Currently we don't have Cable or internet, and I find that we spend the day talking more and reading books. aswell as getting out more often,

I say DO IT! TV will turn you into a mindless drone,

Plus any show you watch you can get on DVD and its so much cooler to watch a whole serous over the weekend :drinker:
  • tami101
    tami101 Posts: 617 Member
    Options
    I got rid of the cable in January. Don't miss it one bit. So far I have saved $180 this year. Of course, I'm not a big sports fan so that might make a difference for you.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    Channels I like aren't available except through cable. Spend about $100 for that and smoking Internet. I have Netflix but rady to dump it. They have been pretty lame with adding decent titles lately and I don't watch actual Tv shows. I have the RedBox Instant too, which is like Netflix but with some different titles, some newer stuff, worse streaming quality, but you get 4 free DVD rentals per month.
  • wendybird5
    wendybird5 Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I just got rid of my cable back in December. I have a Roku and I get Netflix and Hulu where I can watch most of my shows. My laptop is hooked up to my TV so I can watch other shows off the internet. And then some shows that I can't see online, I watch at the gym since the cardio machines all have TVs. So far I don't feel like I'm missing out on anything.
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options
    I have been cableless for almost two years. Get a Roku, Netflix, and Hulu. That way you can watch TV shows and rent movies through Amazon when you wish.

This. I've had a 50.00 Roku for a year now and NO cable. Just 16.00 a month for both Hulu and Netflix.

The Roku was so easy to use I got one for my mom for Christmas and she's having a blast watching Netflix on it. She carries it back and forth to Florida with her.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    Yeah, everything I see- makes me think Online is the best avenue anymore- especially since I believe with an internet subscription and netflix- I will still be saving 80 bucks a month.

Roku doesn't have a monthly subscription?

Also how do you take someone else's quote and put it in your own message?
  • Hopelessone
    Hopelessone Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    We have been talking about getting rid of cable AND our home phone. I know that I can watch most of the tv shows I like online 24 hours after its aired so that doesn't bother me too much and we do have Netflix, but alas I am Canadian and our Netflix is not as good as in the US :(. What is this Roku everyone is talking about? I googled it but am not sure what a Canadian would get with this? Any Candians out there using this?
  • MyM0wM0w
    MyM0wM0w Posts: 2,008 Member
    Options

Roku doesn't have a monthly subscription?
    No. Once you buy it, you're done paying. That is except for the Netflix and Hulu subscription and any other 'channels' you want to pay for that it offers.
  • WendyTerry420
    WendyTerry420 Posts: 13,274 Member
    Options
    For those doing just Netflix and Hulu, how what do you use for internet service? We started back up with the cable company because I was sick and tired of slow internet. (We had Clear, and they started slowing down our speed.)
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I use a product called the Visio Co-Star. It is a small Google TV box with several different video streaming services, a web browser, email and any other Android application that you can get.

It cost $100. and is the best thing ever to happen to television. Got mine at visio.com

That looks complicated, just looking at the requirements. You have to buy a server for it? Sounds expensive.
  • McChubbyruewho
    Options
    For those doing just Netflix and Hulu, how what do you use for internet service? We started back up with the cable company because I was sick and tired of slow internet. (We had Clear, and they started slowing down our speed.)

I had cable through Time Warner, it was a good deal to, I think only 30 bucks, and it was high speed internet
  • petstorekitty
    petstorekitty Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cable since I lived with my parents. (about 10 years)

I has the INTERWEBS! and Netflix (on the interwebs)

You CAN get the network channels on your TV for free.

If I want to watch football (soccer) I stream it from somewhere or go to a pub. xD
  • ice1200s
    ice1200s Posts: 237 Member
    Options
    I don't see the value in Cable, Direct TV nor Dish. I think they are way overpriced. I rarely watch TV outside of football season anyway, so I just go down to the tavern and watch the games there. I'd rather spend the money on a beer or two and have some fun with my friends. I only use the local channels, Netflix DVD version and I read a lot. I tether my smartphone for Internet. I love Straight Talk!!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options

I had cable through Time Warner, it was a good deal to, I think only 30 bucks, and it was high speed internet

Internet without TV? That's a good deal.
  • brookehe
    brookehe Posts: 413 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I would rather pay $144 for high speed internet alone than to go back to slow internet where you can't even watch a two minute YouTube, let alone a movie on Netflix. I am still on the $99 deal now, so it's only $120 after taxes.
  • oudixon
    oudixon Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    What speed of internet would you guys say would be best- I am looking at prices and I am seeing alone being a minimum 50 bucks for 30 mps.

I figured that would be the lowest I would want to go...
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    We have been talking about getting rid of cable AND our home phone.

We haven't had a home phone for 10 years. Just cells.
  • shaynak112
    shaynak112 Posts: 751 Member
    Options
    I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents place over 5 years ago. No need for it, really. If I want to watch a movie or TV show, I download it. We pay $64/mo for high speed, unlimited internet. awesome
  • WendyTerry420
    Options
    I haven't had cable since I moved out of my parents place over 5 years ago. No need for it, really. If I want to watch a movie or TV show, I download it. We pay $64/mo for high speed, unlimited internet. awesome

What service is it?