Question for the Ladies

Options
I am sure this question has been asked a million times! I apologize in advance for being repetitive. I searched for a thread with answers but was unsuccessful!

I am having my first period in about three and a half years (due to birth control and pregnancies) and am not sure if it will affect my weight loss for this week. Will this negatively affect my weight loss? If so, what should I expect and is there a way around it?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

Replies

• SquidInTraining
    Options
    I think the only way it would REALLY affect your weight loss is if you get the kind of cravings I do around TOM -- that being said, you should expect your weight to fluctuate a bit, do yourself a favor and DON'T WEIGH until well after your period is over. Things should be back to normal by then, and you won't get frustrated by the scale showing a temporary gain. Hope it's not too rough on you!
  • SylvieJacques
    SylvieJacques Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I cannot say for everyone but for me, the week before and at the beginning of my period (depending on when I weight myself), I tend to weight more and it just go back to normal all by itself. I don't know if this is water retention or something like that but this is definitely a pattern I noticed. Having said that when I say more I mean about 1-2 lbs at most.
  • acakeforawife
    Options
    I think it's different for everyone! Some people do tend to retain a lot of water at that time but it'll disappear within a few days. For me I tend to gain right in the middle of my cycle -- it took me forever to figure out what was happening, I never made the link to my TOM because it was about 2 weeks before TOM actually arrived -- yet EVERY month, same time, the scale goes up. So I assume it to be somehow cycle-related.

Also, when I went off the pill the first period was really 'mild' -- not sure how else to put it, basically none of the side affects were that bad -- not as much moodiness, not as much cramps, not as much water retaining etc. But within a couple months they all came back strong. :smile: So you might not notice much this month, but just keep monitoring for a few months.

As for what you can do to help it -- not too much I don't think, except drink a lot of water or water with lemon, and avoid any sodium heavy foods that would cause additional water-retention. Hope that helps!
  • DennisHarrison
    Options
    Well, being a guy who is not a medical professional, but who is married to a very athletic woman, you should have natural weight fluctuations during that time. I would recommend hiding the scale during this time to avoid any disappointment! LOL! I actually hounded my wife to stay off the scale entirely due to that fact. Women have natural fluctuations of a couple pounds to as much as 10 pounds depending on many factors, and frequent scale visits often lead to disappointment, and in some cases, gals just giving up. If you feel the need to stand on that evil device, you should do it half way between periods. Hope my uneducated two cents helps.
  • mama22girlz
    mama22girlz Posts: 291
    Options
    If so, what should I expect and is there a way around it?

Thanks for any information you can give me!

If you figure out any way around TOM other then pregnancy let me know ;)

I usually dont weigh in as I feel bloated during Tom's visits.
  • SquidInTraining
    Options

If you figure out any way around TOM other then pregnancy let me know ;)

Add me to the notification list, please! :laugh:
  • Ashia1317
    Ashia1317 Posts: 415
    Options
    Well, being a guy who is not a medical professional, but who is married to a very athletic woman, you should have natural weight fluctuations during that time. I would recommend hiding the scale during this time to avoid any disappointment! LOL! I actually hounded my wife to stay off the scale entirely due to that fact. Women have natural fluctuations of a couple pounds to as much as 10 pounds depending on many factors, and frequent scale visits often lead to disappointment, and in some cases, gals just giving up. If you feel the need to stand on that evil device, you should do it half way between periods. Hope my uneducated two cents helps.

Amen. I don't weigh myself the week before and the week during. I can fluctuate 3 - 5 lbs sometimes. I retain a lot of water. So i just skip the weigh ins.
  • DawnCallas
    Options
    Thanks Ladies and Getleman :happy: ! I figured there was no way around it but hey it never hurts to ask! :laugh: This would explain the crazy weigh in I had Sunday! I have learned my lesson and you guys have convenced me... never get on the scale anywhere near TOM. :noway: Thank you for the heads up and info!