Identity crisis?

Options
Hey everyone! ssoo I hope you don't mind a bit of a back story...but here it is. I started to lose weight to change my life because I didn't like the way things were going and it was the last logical thing to do. Iv been over weight my whole life and I decided that things needed to change for me. The old me was sort of the type to avoid attention, but the person iv always wanted to be is a outgoing bright type of person and I am kind of starting that change because I think it can only be a good thing...So my question is, After your weight loss (Particularly younger people) has your identity changed to the point where you wouldn't recognize who you were as far as you're personality goes. And was that a good thing or a bad thing... Thanks! :smile:

Replies

• deladypilot
    deladypilot Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    I think some do and some don't. It really depends on your personality to begin with. I have seen people that start going out a lot when they used to not. Now they are talkative when they used to not be. The main thing you have to remember is to stick to your own moral compass not matter what size you are.
  • UsernameStillLoading
    Options
    Mine has....in a good way..I hope.

My confidence level has spiked with clothing. Normally I would be the girl you see all covered up (except for arms)...now I'm showing a bit more skin (mostly to show off my newly found neck bone). I haven't gotten to bare arms, short shorts, skinny jeans, or cleavage confidence. Eventually I want to be confident enough to be sleeveless. I could care less about the short shorts, skinny jeans or cleavage.

My emotional level is on the positive now. I used to be pessimistic, now I'm more optimistic.

My self-esteem is still low though. Hope that changes soon. I don't want to be cocky or perky but I don't want to feel like I do now. I also don't want to become that fitness jerk. I'm workout buddies with my brother so we're cool with each other. My other sister though brought it to my attention that he has a way of annoying people with his progress and judging others who are not into health.

My confidence with body parts has also improved. Before I was only happy about my legs. Now I'm liking my arms, my chest, my back, my shoulder, my neck...heck, even my tummy at times.

Personality wise though, I still feel paranoid at times. I want to be outgoing but the people around me who are willing to be outgoing like to party. I like to attend parties (like birthday parties, or celebrations) but I am not a party person. It gets wild and out of control. I like security. I feel like if I get stronger, I won't mind partying because I would be able to defend myself if danger arises.

Sorry for oversharing.
  • willieswenson
    Options
    I had been lifting for awhile but had always been pretty overweight. I lost 60 pounds but kept most of my muscle mass, which was cool for me, but when I came back to school after the summer I lost all that weight, that's all people knew me as, the kid who shredded, meat head, etc. I felt like it was who I had to become, and ended up looking like a reject of a Jersey Shore casting call. It wasn't really me, but I thought it was. I went through a really hard period of time, because, I was still who I always was and still am, but on the outside, it didn't match. The other thing was, since the outside was different, the relationships I made, and thoughts and expectations put on me by my peers matched my superficial self, so I became very depressed and felt alone. Depressing teenage problems right? Anyway, I moved to florida with my brother, and became my good old self on all levels of life, just alot lighter, and a little more muscular. I had to take a good long look at myself and realize I was trying to be what I wasn't and it helped solve my identity crisis. /story haha I think everyone changes to some extent inwards, but it all depends on what the motive for weight loss was in the first place....
  • lookin_new
    lookin_new Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Wow, alot of good points!