Ahhhhh 100 lbs to lose it seems like so much

Disregard - I saw there are a lot of other 100 lb to lose threads

Replies

• icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    True - but you can always start your own thread!

Yes it's a lot - and yes it will take some time. But when it gets too overhwlming to think about how long it will take, try breaking it down into smaller chunks. Something more like "I have 20 pound to lose by July 1". Just make sure it's a reaistic goal!

Come to think of it - that's my goal - 20 pounds by July 1. And also to not go more than 2 days in a row without some sort of intentional exercise.
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time!
  • lorcart
    lorcart Posts: 406 Member
    And no, I wasn't calling you an elephant! lol Just saying that you can't lose 100 lbs w/out losing 1, 5, 10, etc.....baby steps.....
  • Lonasue32
    Lonasue32 Posts: 109 Member
    I am so sick of feeling trapped in this body and in the insecurities that go along with it. I mean even with this post I wrote a big long thing about how I was feeling and how discouraged I was. How big the task seemed and how slow it was going. And then like for some reason I am not worth posting it I deleted it. I would have removed it completely but couldn't figure out how. I am so tired of the way I think about myself. I know it's not all weight but I really do think about 95% of it is. When I am exercising more than i have since high school, I just expect to see big results and I don't. I am sure it's a food thing cause although I stay within my recommended calories I am far from eating the right things half the time I don't even know how to figure out what to make that would be good for me. Anyway thank you to those who replied I pray that along this journey I find me, know that I am valuable and quit just seeing myself as "the fat girl".
  • Arkhos
    Arkhos Posts: 290 Member
    Hello! You have a 100lbs to lose? I have over 200 and I've been working on it for 8 months! Having good friends to help motivate and encourage AND be accountable too on here is really helping me! Once you have a good food plan you gotta stick to it 110%, even if just for 1 week. Do it for 1 week and see what happens - I stuck to mine this past week and lost 5lbs!!

You know how bad you feel about yourself right now? That goes away once you start eating healthy and losing weight. What we eat has a huge impact on how we feel. There's always a negative history, self-destructive behavior, and low self-esteem that gets us into gaining 100+lbs, but it's taking these first steps and then not quitting that slowly but surely gets us into that better happier place.

It's never too late to become what you might have been. Every second is a chance to turn your life around! You have to stop wishing for it and Start working for it! - these are some motivation pics I have, lol.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    When I started this I was looking at having to lose over 200lbs or a 6 foot tall man, and now I'm looking at having to lose 140lbs or a 5'8" woman every day keep trying look at one day at a time, one minute at a time and one meal at a time. The big picture is very overwhelming.

Oh and look at and reward yourself for you past mistakes
  • donthegeek
    donthegeek Posts: 58 Member
    Like Lor said, "How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time."

I would add be consistent and don't expect more than you can deliver.

My problem is scope creep. I figure if I lose more this week, I should lose the same next week. This time I am keeping my expectations in check and created a spreadsheet that shows my weight if I lose it one pound a week till I reach my goal. Then I put my own weight in and it shows up on my graph. This way i can see when I do good and when I don't do good. There is only good progress, I might have a slowdown but over time I will just keep eating that elephant one bite at a time.

so what is my point? Project out a reasonable loss line for you (not what your friend or neighbor did) and strive to beat that line.

Good luck and we are all here to support you!

Don
  • ForMyAngelBaby
    ForMyAngelBaby Posts: 123 Member
    I don't have 100 pounds to lose, but I started out needing to lose 75 pounds. According to medicine I should lose 100 pounds, but to me that's too much for my frame. When I get closer to my goal weight, then maybe I'll change my mind.

Here's my secret to staying on track...my goals have nothing to do with weight loss, but I know that if I follow them I will lose weight. At one point I gave up pop and fast food for 30 days. At the end of those 30 days I weighed in and lost 20 pounds!

Right now my goal is not to eat junk food, but I do allow myself one splurge day week so that I don't have a binge spree from total deprivation. I stay on track by curbing my cravings with healthy snacks such as fruit and cheese. The less I'm eating the bad stuff the more I notice how much I really don't need it.

Here's some suggestions of goals for you to try:
    Pick one thing that you know that you can do without for 30 days. Then pick something to reward yourself with that isn't food related...maybe a new, new shoes, a new outfit...stay off the scale and then once you've hit your 30 day goal, go get your reward!

Maybe in the next 30 days you commit to working out one day a week. Pick another reward and go for it!

You see, each goal may be small, but it's putting you one step closer to being healthier, and when you do step on that scale you will notice changes.

In the scale of 100 pounds - it's the baby steps that matter.
  • NualaTW
    NualaTW Posts: 205 Member
    I decided to go with monthly mini-goals. I told myself that I would lose at least 5 lbs a month. It will take some time to get that 100+ off, but at least I can celebrate those 5 lbs at the end of each month and feel good about myself. :)
  • I have 87 more pounds to go from 100, its hard. its very hard when life gets in the way. as many people said just keep chugging along, keep it interesting. i find for myself if i get board with something i will tend to walk away from it. So i make sure my foods are a nice variety and rich in flavor as i can't get by on light flavors. I also love love love doing zumba which, with my incredible instructor is always a change in routine and she works different parts of the body all the time! Keep going! You will find your nitch and before you know it the pounds will start to come off!
  • plynn54
    plynn54 Posts: 912 Member
    Ive lost 17 lbs, and have 75 to go. I broke it all up in to quartly goals, it doesnt seem so overwhelming that way, well for me it works lol.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    I am so sick of feeling trapped in this body and in the insecurities that go along with it. I mean even with this post I wrote a big long thing about how I was feeling and how discouraged I was. How big the task seemed and how slow it was going. And then like for some reason I am not worth posting it I deleted it. I would have removed it completely but couldn't figure out how. I am so tired of the way I think about myself. I know it's not all weight but I really do think about 95% of it is. When I am exercising more than i have since high school, I just expect to see big results and I don't. I am sure it's a food thing cause although I stay within my recommended calories I am far from eating the right things half the time I don't even know how to figure out what to make that would be good for me. Anyway thank you to those who replied I pray that along this journey I find me, know that I am valuable and quit just seeing myself as "the fat girl".

Being overweight damages you in a lot of ways. I often wonder who I'd be if I had never been big. I absolutely get that you want the weight to come off faster than fast; after all, you're ready to start feeling and looking the way you want to today. Unfortunately, you need to accept that it's going to take as long as it takes, right? It'll happen if you focus on making good choices and just plugging away it. :)
  • efirkey
    efirkey Posts: 298 Member
    100 does seem like a lot. You need to break it down into smaller more manageable goals. I just hit one goal of breaking 250 and my next one is to break 230.

I have also added activity goals. I started walking Feb 1st and on March 1st I am going to add some free weight exercises. When I get down under 220 I want to start running again.

I also have one day a month that I consider my cheat day that I look forward to. For me it happens to be tomorrow and I am going to a wedding.

good luck
  • I am trying to lose more weight than I've ever tried to lose before.

BUT I am more motivated now to lose weight than I ever have been before and I really feel like it is because I am celebrating my weekly weight loss as a small victory. I try not to think about the total pounds lost at this point. Today, I am comfortably wearing jeans that I could barely button three weeks ago and I'm so excited and can't wait to see what fits next week.

Each day that I meet my caloric and/or exercise goal is a tiny celebration for me. I don't think about the time period it will take me to get to my final goal. I think about what I accomplished today. If I screw up, I plug in those calories on MFP and get back to the plan.

My point is, don't feel like you need to pull big numbers each week like they do on The Biggest Loser or other "not real life" TV shows. Celebrate the small victories of passing up the cheesecake (or whatever your vice is) or burning a few more calories today than you did yesterday. Eventually it all adds up.

You got this!
  • I am so sick of feeling trapped in this body and in the insecurities that go along with it. I mean even with this post I wrote a big long thing about how I was feeling and how discouraged I was. How big the task seemed and how slow it was going. And then like for some reason I am not worth posting it I deleted it. I would have removed it completely but couldn't figure out how. I am so tired of the way I think about myself. I know it's not all weight but I really do think about 95% of it is. When I am exercising more than i have since high school, I just expect to see big results and I don't. I am sure it's a food thing cause although I stay within my recommended calories I am far from eating the right things half the time I don't even know how to figure out what to make that would be good for me. Anyway thank you to those who replied I pray that along this journey I find me, know that I am valuable and quit just seeing myself as "the fat girl".

I agree with everyone who said set mini-goals with rewards built in!

You said that you are exercising more than in high school, but aren't seeing the results you expect. That, in a nutshell, is my least favorite part about getting older. I'm only 30, but I have progressively had a harder time losing weight, or staying fit, as the case may be, as I moved through my 20s. So first of all, don't beat yourself up over that. It's just the nature of the thing. You are working hard, and you will begin to see and feel the rewards of your efforts very soon! As it's been said a few times in this thread, you've just got to take it one step at a time, and don't expect too much too soon. I've read that it takes at least twice as long to loose weight as it does to gain it, so please cut yourself some slack. You are doing it! You are making it happen!

You also said that you are having trouble figuring out good-for-you things to eat. There is definitely a learning curve when it comes to figuring out good nutrition, but a very good baseline rule is sticking with the FDA's balanced plate: http://www.choosemyplate.gov/

I have the most success with that rather than any "diet" I might have tried. Also, since you said you're staying within your calories, I'm assuming you're using MFP's diary. If you are entering the foods you eat (and not just the calories consumed) you can look at your "balance" of nutrition throughout a day too. This way you can make sure you are eating enough fat, fiber, vitamins, and minerals, without going too far over in any one category. That will help you learn what things you are eating that are actually nourishing and supporting your healthy lifestyle.

Good luck! You've got this.

:happy:
  • daniellemm1
    daniellemm1 Posts: 465 Member
    I have 100lbs to lose too and I have been focusing on smaller goals with that being my ultimate goal. I am at 15lbs lost now and can't wait for 20 and then I will be excited for the next 20. I think that having the ultimate goal at the back of my mind helps but smaller incremental goals make it seem much more doable.
  • lbesaw
    lbesaw Posts: 267 Member
    I agree---we each have a responsibility to ourselves. The day we decide we've had enough is the day everything changes.....once we have settled our "food noise", excuses, unkept promises we have made to ourselves, and blame-games---why it's somebody else's "fault" Own it, and move on. Be patient if you slip up, start over, everyday is a fresh opportunity to begin again. Put an end to the guilt and giving up because "it's too hard", "I don't have time", etc. Make a plan and stick to it. Set small goals---we all have to start somewhere. Be your own support--because you can only depend on yourself to keep going. Don't fall into the "pity-party" trap that keeps you from trying. :smile: Good things will come.........
  • icimani
    icimani Posts: 1,454 Member
    I came back to this thread because I've been frustrated lately too - and to remind myself:

521475_10151636449745200_1133158168_n.jpg