B-4 or after you eat?

Options
Hello,
Is it best to exercise (right now I am walking and doing Zumba) before or after you eat? Does it make a difference.
Thanks,

Replies

• Ironwoman3
    Options
    The way I understand it, u want to exercise BEFORE u eat. If u exercise before u eat your body does not have any "easy fuel" to burn, so u burn more of your fat storage.... Your body has to "break down the fat" to have energy or fuel. If u exercise after u eat, it is easiest for your body to burn what is being processed in your stomach and intestine, thus keeping u from putting on the "Weight" u eat.
    So, If u want to burn fat, exercise before.... if u don't want to put on any weight and maintain, exercise after.
  • kerrilucko
    kerrilucko Posts: 3,852 Member
    Options
    I can't exercise after I eat. I cramp up, even after something small like a peice of fruit.
  • squoozyq
    squoozyq Posts: 305
    Options
    I would say work out when you wake up, but you definately have to eat within two hours of waking up to jump start your metabolism. You could then do some form of exercise after dinner like a nice walk....or bike ride etc.
    Good luck!
  • KellyBurton1
    KellyBurton1 Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    If your excerising first thing in the morning, before breakfast have something small like yogurt or whatever for fuel and have breakfast at least 30 to 60 minutes after. If you eat alot right before your workout your body is just going to be busy digesting and really need to be focusing on your muscles. You need to have something after to repleshish your water loss and enery levels.
  • Miss_Chievous_wechange
    Miss_Chievous_wechange Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I eat something light before working out, then I eat a meal afterward. I always get hungry after I work out, so this works great for me.
  • MissingMinnesota
    MissingMinnesota Posts: 7,486 Member
    Options
    I get light headed if I don't eat something small before I work out. I think it is best to listen to your body if you don't have enough energy to really get a good exercise in then you need to eat a complex carb before you work out. It is also best to have some protein after you work out to help your muscles.
  • Alysgrma
    Alysgrma Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much. I do get lightheaded if I don't have something to eat before I work out, so I will eat something light, workout then have my dinner.
    Have a great week!!
    Mary