Eating habit change. meat to vegetarian

Options
2»

Replies

• kayemme
    kayemme Posts: 1,782 Member
    Options
    i'll address protein deficiency really quickly: you're probably getting plenty already and you don't even know it.

if you stay away from mostly processed foods, you have nothing to worry about at all. Pumpkin seeds offer at least the same amount (and I actually think they offer more) protein than steak. Most seeds and nuts will offer you exactly what you need, plus leafy greens & mushrooms.

If you're really worried about it, you can check with a holistic dietician or nutritionist. You may need to take vitamin B12 supplements, but not for some time, still because it stores in the body. Again, a quick chat with a nutritionist will settle many of your questions.

Most important thing about becoming a vegetarian: do not eat junk food in place of real food. It's very easy to do because "vegetarian" food is marketed as healthy, when,in fact, you're better off with broccoli, even conventionally grown.

Bests!
  • Notasufi
    Options
    I went from complete omnivore to vegetarian rapidly and had no problems. That was 20 years ago and I've had no problems. Wasn't particularly overweight at the time though. Add me if I can help.
  • mynameisnotlisa
    mynameisnotlisa Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    Hello! Four years ago, I decided to make the switch to veganism and over the course of 4-5 months (with exercise, of course) I went from 275 to 200 pounds. I know much of it was the exercise, but I think a lot had to do with my diet change as well.

After about a year as vegan, I switched to vegetarianism because I missed cheese so much. Since, I have slowly gained back all the weight that I had initially lost (of course) and then some.

I think the initial shock of dropping meat and all animal products from my diet pushed my body into losing weight even quicker than it would have with just exercise alone. I say this because now that I have maintained the vegetarian diet, I am losing weight much more slowly than I did at first. Still quicker than most, but nothing like those first few months.

I have found it way easier to be healthy with a vegetarian diet than with a non-veg diet. I have discovered a love for foods (mostly vegetables) that I never knew I had! I also know that I have more energy and that I feel less lethargic than I did when I was a non-veg. For the people saying they felt weaker after trying a vegetarian diet, well... they didn't do it right. Make sure that you get all necessary vitamins and minerals that your body needs. Eggs, legumes, nuts, etc. Also, take a multivitamin (although everyone should be taking one, regardless of diet).