Healthy Flapjacks - Do they exist??

Options
ljmiller11
ljmiller11 Posts: 67 Member
Hi All,

Don't ask me why, but whenever I am cutting my calories, the first thing I want, no, NEED, is flapjack!

I don't know why this happens but I begin to crave them so badly and they are so damn high in calories and sugar! I keep thinking about making my own but have no idea how to make this gooey, sugar filled treat in a healthier way.

Does anyone have a magic low (ish) recipe that use that is actually tasty?

Help :)

Replies

• Swissmiss
    Swissmiss Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I am "bumping" because this sounds delicious.
  • trainguy917
    trainguy917 Posts: 366 Member
    Options
    If you do a search on the forum, you will find literally dozens of threads that include healthier versions of pancake recipes. I've tried a few and some are quite good.
  • andreagreen1974
    andreagreen1974 Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    Basically, you take your favorite pancake recipe, remove the white flour and use quinoa flour. Use egg whites instead of egg and instead of vegetable oil, use grapeseed or other healthy oil. They will knock your socks off. I personally use the one on allrecipes.com, good old fashioned pancakes. I put partridgeberries in them as well. And if you have the right berries in them, you won't even need syrup!! MMM now just lick your lips! :tongue:

And NEVER use low fat, low sugar ANYTHING. So bad for you!
  • tndejong
    tndejong Posts: 463
    Options
    when i make them, i use a Bisquick wheat store flour mix. i sub the oil with apple sauce and egg white. you could use banana too instead of the oil. then i use a sugar free no calorie syrup. its pretty good. and under 100 per pancake/waffle.
  • herebeeri
    herebeeri Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    *laughs*

Hey, Americans, this is flapjack when a Brit is asking!
    foodie-flapjacks-HERO-bb9b24d9-db77-4b62-b49b-d0573af3fef1-0-472x310.jpg

OP - I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but assumed you weren't after pancake recipes!
  • jo_marnes
    jo_marnes Posts: 1,601 Member
    Options
    *laughs*

OP - I don't have an answer for you I'm afraid, but assumed you weren't after pancake recipes!

Glad I wasn't the only one thinking this!
  • MrsAgi
    MrsAgi Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Its easy to make HEALTHY flapjacks, but I have never managed a good, LOW CAL flapjack:( I adore them too. Homemade can be a bit lower than shop bought, but oats, nuts, dried fruit are all high cal and sugar regardless of added honey and butter (which are substitutable)
  • juicy_cat
    juicy_cat Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Am I missing something here?? why don't you just buy a lovely sugar filled guey flapjack and factor it in to your daily calories? That is what I do when I want something nice and I have lost 21 pounds so far....low fat low sugar v versions are never ever the same....Everything in moderation eh?? Best of luck... :-)
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    Flapjacks (I'm thinking of the things with oats, butter, syrup, etc.) cooked together are healthy-ish if you don't mind high fat, high-calorie foods, and if you're making them yourself you can add healthy nuts, seeds, dried fruit, etc. If you love them, just have a half portion now and then! I think they're delicious and wouldn't want to spoil them by trying to make them low-calorie! You've made me want flapjack now! Maybe with dried apricots, hazelnuts and almonds. I think the difficulty is that when you make them yourself you end up with loads! Maybe the trick is to make a tiny amount of flapjack with, say a tablespoon of oats. Then it would be impossible to massively overeat. I might actually try that!

Oh, I just thought ... I wonder if portioning them up and sticking them in the freezer would work?
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Its easy to make HEALTHY flapjacks, but I have never managed a good, LOW CAL flapjack:( I adore them too. Homemade can be a bit lower than shop bought, but oats, nuts, dried fruit are all high cal and sugar regardless of added honey and butter (which are substitutable)

^^^^ this. Plenty of healthy flapjack recipes, but I don't think you'll find low calorie ones as the main ingredient is oats and you need at least honey (healthiest alternative) to add sweetness and bind them together. Nuts and dried fruit are healthy, but high in calories. I have never tried making them with just oats and sweetener instead of sugar, it sounds gross to be honest, but it would be lower calorie than if you added sugar, golden syrup or honey. And they might not stick together quite right :/

---

if you're getting a lot of cravings for high carb foods, are you eating enough carbs and/or calories? Sometimes cravings are a sign you're not getting enough of something.

YOu could try making flapjacks in small portions, and eating one slowly each day, i.e. rationing yourself small quantities of it to keep the cravings at bay, rather than feeling deprived. Eat them slowly so you get maximum enjoyment and that may be enough to kill the cravings.

___

LOL @ pancakes... didn't know that flapjack was British English...
  • Debbiedebbiey
    Debbiedebbiey Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    Looks to me what id call a granola bar ....sorry, I was going to give a nice protein pancake recipe
  • Vailara
    Vailara Posts: 2,454 Member
    Options
    I meant to mention, I have experimented in the past with using less butter and syrup to more oats. It's not worth it. It just makes a flapjack which is drier and not as nice as a "real" one.
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Basically, you take your favorite pancake recipe, remove the white flour and use quinoa flour. Use egg whites instead of egg and instead of vegetable oil, use grapeseed or other healthy oil. They will knock your socks off. I personally use the one on allrecipes.com, good old fashioned pancakes. I put partridgeberries in them as well. And if you have the right berries in them, you won't even need syrup!! MMM now just lick your lips! :tongue:

You can use applesauce instead of oil (all or part - it's up to you) I blend my flour - some oat, some quinoa, soy also add chia seeds and flax. You can use banana for the "sweet". Dr.oz has a great recipe (check on line).
  • Corjogo
    Corjogo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    *laughs*

Hang in there, if we hang around long enough and read enough posts, we'll pick up on the nuances LOL. Ignore previous response.
  • purplecharm
    purplecharm Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I thought this thread was about pancakes. Oops. :laugh:
  • concordancia
    concordancia Posts: 5,320 Member
    Options
    Do y'all have fiber one oat bars available? Package and processed, but delish!

PS, I only know what a flapjack is thanks to graze.com!
  • neandermagnon
    neandermagnon Posts: 7,436 Member
    Options
    Do y'all have fiber one oat bars available? Package and processed, but delish!

PS, I only know what a flapjack is thanks to graze.com!

if we do they'd be fibre one oat bars lol

there's all kinds of packaged flapjack and cereal bars in the UK
  • HappyHungryHealthy
    HappyHungryHealthy Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    Why don't you try these! Low sugar muesli, dates and apple juice. The dates are a substitute for the sugar. I made these a couple of years ago, without the palava of oats and toasting nuts,etc.

Weigh out muesli according to instructions on box
    150g of dates - without stones
    3 tbsp apple juice
    150g reduced fat butter

Put apple juice and dates in a blender until smooth. Melt the butter in a pan, then add the date purée and muesli. Stir well and press into a greased tin. Bake for about 20-25mins until the flapjack is golden. Hope this helps your craving! :) you could even drizzle a small amount of chocolate over them too :)
  • monicalosesweight
    monicalosesweight Posts: 1,173 Member
    Options
    http://www.kodiakcakes.com/product-information-nutrition-facts/

If you're talking the American Flapjack which is the original pancake they ate on the frontier..that was actually a pancake that's made with oatmeal not just wheat. I've seen this product at many Targets. You can do a search on their website to locate stores that sell it. I can't eat it because I'm allergic but I picked this up for my sister and my nephew and they always request this one instead of the normal pancakes. My nephew loves them and says they are delicious and you know how picky a 7 year old can be.

Monica
  • crazy4fids
    Options

I made pancakes this morning...here is my recipe:

1 c oats
    1 cup yogurt (you can use whatever you have in the fridg)
    6 egg whites
    1 tsp vanilla
    throw it all in the blender till smooth, cook as usual.

1 tsp cinnamon