Not what I see in the mirror

Options
Well pretty much as the subject say's. Am I the only person on the planet to look at them selves in the mirror and think "dam I look alright" and see them selves as dress size smaller than they actually are??
I see photo's of my self and think WHAT THE HELL IM A MOOSE, but when I look in the mirror i look okay?
Don't get me wrong I often have "fat" day's when I look in the mirror and my clothes look awful bulge's every where.
Im lacking motivation at the moment big time i feel alot of my MFP pal's have dropped off the radar, the conversation's have stopped the logging has stopped.
Tell me Im not alone :sad:

Replies

• Anthony110101111110001101
    Options
    I'm the opposite, I think I'm decent then I look in the mirror....
  • tanzz9
    tanzz9 Posts: 37
    Options
    Sometimes i am like that! I might look at myself in the mirror in something and think - yep, i look pretty good. Days later i'll see a photo and be like... ummm - WTF? Is that ME? What happened between my mirror and that photo?! lol.

But if i ever catch sight of myself naked in the mirror... *shudder* ha ha.

I am new to this and very excited, motivated, and here often so if you want a new friend who logs in a lot you can add me :)
  • Carolannb1986
    Options

But if i ever catch sight of myself naked in the mirror... *shudder* ha ha.

Oh yes! lol
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten that. I see myself the same in the mirror as in pictures, absolutely fabulous.
  • PapillonKisses
    Options
    Hmmm, I actually think I look smaller in photos than in the mirror.
  • scarships
    Options
    I have the same thing! When I look in the mirror I think I'm okay, but as soon as I catch a photo I want to cry.
  • AngelavdH
    Options
    Same here!

We have a big mirror in the bedroom and if I see myself from head to toe then i think: I look good, cant be so heavy. But then... pictures... awfull. I look so big on there. And also my BMI is so much higher than how I feel. I know i'm a bit overweight, but 29??? I feel more like 27..
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    The camera adds 10 lb, as they say...
  • Funnyfishat40
    Funnyfishat40 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Me too, why is it always the photos that tell the worst story? As they are so B****y permanent
    Feel free to add me, I'm trying to stay motivated too, judging by the number of empty spaces in the gym many people have given up.

To help me I signed up for a monster charity walk in May, gives me focus lots of calories to burn, just need to get the intake right now
    but have found MFP makes it so much easier, good luck xxx
  • Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I think I look great in photos and in the mirror. It's when I'm getting dressed in the mornings I think I'm still a size 24 and no way I'm going to be fitting into the clothes I chose to wear. I've been told it's just one of those things. We think the way we think and that influences our interpretation. I'm sure if you ask 10 people how you look, they are going to reply, "You look great." It's our own personal perception and our own hypercritical behavior.

Keep up the great work! :)

Just so you know what I'm talking about---I look like the girl on the right and I feel like the girl in the middle which changes my perception of how well I have done and how great I feel. I'm still the girl in the pink sweater...
  • janatarnhem
    janatarnhem Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    No...I look absolutely crap in both!!:huh:
  • jelly_baby1980
    jelly_baby1980 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hey, I'm exactly the same, I have an image in my head of myself which is about 3 sizes smaller that the real me, so I'm finding motivating myself very difficult... I've only been at this a week and have around 4 stone to go. :(
  • tanzz9
    tanzz9 Posts: 37
    Options
    Thats why head shots work for me. That parts fine... its just everything from the neck down...... :laugh:
  • mizzie1980
    mizzie1980 Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Oh, criminy, I know what you mean! At my largest, I always thought "well, I'm chubby, but I'm not too bad. I'm not obese." I'd compare myself to women who were larger than I and use that as a measure. I looked in the mirror and didn't think it was too bad. I was 70 pounds overweight, size 22-24 jeans and, not only obese, but severely obese. I would see photos of myself and wonder who the whale was that managed to get into the photo of my friends and I. Oddly enough, in my mind (and in the mirror), I looked more like I look now.

This is making it a little hard on my now because I don't "see" my weight loss. I always saw myself this way. But I've lost 56 pounds, I know there must be a difference. Everyone else sees it, but I only see it in side-by-side photo comparisons.

That's the old me in my avatar photo. One of the few that I could find. I avoided cameras because I was "not photogenic". lol When I reach my goal, I'm going to change the pic. It helps me stay motivated.
  • Skinny_minny_mo
    Skinny_minny_mo Posts: 1,272 Member
    Options
    i think the question here is WHATS IMPORTANT TO YOU?

do you feel good? feel healthy and comfortable in your own skin? that's more important than what the mirror or anyone else says.

personally i feel HUGE. i know how i look naked and even if people tell me that i'm small, it's meaningless to me.

if what others say is of value to you, then i would suggest asking a fair but honest person their opinion :)
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    You're not alone. I, too, often think I look ok and am then very shocked by the photos- all very disappointing. My motivation is also rock bottom at present even though I am still desperate to lose weight.

I have no words of wisdom to give you, I'm afraid, but I just wanted to let you know that you are most definietly NOT alone.

Take care.

Sally xxx
  • Carolannb1986
    Options
    Same here!
    my BMI is so much higher than how I feel. I know i'm a bit overweight, but 29??? I feel more like 27..

To compare Im 26, 2 children. Weigh 157lbs 5ft 5 BMI 26. And getting married In a few month's petrifying :laugh:
  • harvo
    harvo Posts: 4,676 Member
    Options
    As a man I love seeing nakedness in the mirror..may be self concious elsewhere but not alone...btw, you look beautiful from the pic I see. Give yourself a break!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    I've never gotten that. I see myself the same in the mirror as in pictures, absolutely fabulous.

YAY YOU!! No confidence issues here!! LOL Way to go!
  • sa11yjane
    sa11yjane Posts: 491 Member
    Options
    Having just seen your recent post, your stats indicate to me that you aren't really very overweight at all; I'm wondering whether you are just more aware of your appearance due to your forthcoming wedding when everyone will be focused on you...? Just a thought as it is indeed quite scary to be the centre of attention. If this is the case, please don't get obsessed over your appearance to the extent that you spoil the build up to your wedding. I know it won't help much but I'm sure that your fiance loves you just the way you are xxx