Broken blood vessels on face after working out

Options
I just got back from the gym this morning and felt a faint burning sensation on my eyelids, right underneath my eyebrows. After looking in the mirror, I realized that I had several red "pin prick" marks that I'm guessing are broken blood vessels. This has never happened to me after working out and I'm wondering if anyone else has experienced it. I'm not particularly concerned about it, just curious about why it happens. My cardio workout wasn't anything too strenuous... just biking for an hour. However, I did do a series of ab holds afterwards that were pretty difficult, so I'm wondering if that may have caused these blood vessels to burst.

If this has ever happened to you, any insight on how to make them disappear (other than the obvious covering up with makeup)?

Replies

• Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    u need to breath properly when u train and focus on the muscle contracting , what happens there is u literally increase blood pressure which results in breaking the blood vessels under the eyes from not letting in enough oxygen via correct breathing (possible nose bleeds) ... its just pressure and stress on the vessels
  • deniseblossoms
    deniseblossoms Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I was going to guess you're holding your breath at some point during your exercise...some people have a tendency to hold their breath on the effort.
  • trizzell79
    trizzell79 Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's called petechiae, it must have bee the ab holds. You may have been holding your breath and tensing up your neck or face muscles. They will go away in a couple of days.
  • ekaustin7
    ekaustin7 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies! I usually do try to focus on my breathing, but I must have gone without for awhile without noticing it.
  • milkcartin
    Options
    Yup! Doing wall climbs give me what looks like hickies. Probably from holding my breath while straining to push my feet up a wall and invert myself.