How many calories do you burn in the gym?

Options
I'm only asking as last night my heart rate monitor said i lost 1100 calories! This can't be right can it? 20 mins elliptical, 15 treadmill, 5 rowing machine, 5 stairs machine & weight lifting. I use the chest strap ect.

Replies

• PurpleTina
    PurpleTina Posts: 390 Member
    Options
    It depends really; on how much you weigh, and whether or not your HRM is set up with your age / weight / height. (but it does sound a bit high to me).
  • VonTinka
    VonTinka Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yep i did set it up with weight, height & age ect.
  • averous214
    averous214 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I think you just need to use your heart rate monitor to just monitor your heart, 1100 calories in less than an hour? highly unlikely, half of that is still unlikely, but more realistic. And you really need to be pushing pretty hard to burn 550 calories in an hour.
  • 5stringjeff
    5stringjeff Posts: 790 Member
    Options
    HRM won't accurately measure calories burned doing strength training. I use these calculations instead:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/
  • RatherBeFishing
    RatherBeFishing Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    It depends on how much you weigh, if I push it hard doing HIIT (avg heart rate of 170) I can burn 1000-1200 in an hour (I weigh 220 lbs). Most of your exercises were cardio and rowing is a great full body workout. Without knowing your weight and how hard you were pushing it, it's hard to say. What was your avg heart rate?

Here is a great link for calories burned: http://www.shapesense.com/fitness-exercise/calculators/heart-rate-based-calorie-burn-calculator.aspx
  • Fit_Vixen1
    Options
    Depends on what I do. Of course you'll burn more cals if you do more cardio. I burn over 1,000 cals in about 1 1/2 hours (if cardio is involved) What HRM brand do you have?
  • clperrett
    Options
    I wear a HRM and as a rule of thumb normally I manage 100-120 calories per 10 minutes of Cardio exercise. I would say 1100 sounds a bit too high, although I'm not sure how that could have happened
  • rduhlir
    rduhlir Posts: 3,550 Member
    Options
    I don't use my HRM for weight lifting. That being said, on my runs I burn about 300ish doing a 30 min run on the treadmill.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Sounds very high. Yesterday I did a 5k on the rowing machine in just over 21 mins, mostly at 95% of my max heartrate, 302 calories (so under 900 per hour in unlikely event I could maintain that effort for 60 mins).

Was your heartrate showing at about the rate you would expect to see during your workout? Bad contact with chest strap perhaps or interference between chest strap and watch?
  • Latona38
    Latona38 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Last night I burned almost 1400 calories using a HRM with chest strap. It's possible. It depends on how hard your pushing yourself and how long your heart rate is in the calorie burning zone
  • AuntieKT
    AuntieKT Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    HRM won't accurately measure calories burned doing strength training. I use these calculations instead:
    http://www.livestrong.com/article/338469-how-to-calculate-calories-burned-weight-lifting/

I had a question about this last week and could have really used this calculation, LOL! Everyone says that heart rate monitors way overestimate the amount of calories burned when doing things like weight lifting. I wear mine during weight lifting just to be able to save the amount of time I worked out and also cuz I ususally do some cardio afterwards and I don't want to go have to put it on after lifting. Last night I lifted for 82 minutes. My heart rate monitor (Polar FT4) said that I burned 202 calories. If I use the calculation you provided and even pick the smallest modifier "Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute." I get 351 calories... so I guess I'm confused. If my heart rate monitor OVERestimates calories burned, why is the number it gives me LESS than this calculation?

And to answer the OP, yeah I think something isn't right with the amount it said. 1,100 for under an hour of work seems almost impossible...
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options
    Unless your 225lbs+ and heart rate is avg 165+ for an hour. I doubt it.

I burn about 1000 calories an hour and I have to push myself very hard to get it.
  • Geeky_Girl
    Geeky_Girl Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I wear a HRM and as a rule of thumb normally I manage 100-120 calories per 10 minutes of Cardio exercise. I would say 1100 sounds a bit too high, although I'm not sure how that could have happened

This is the same for me. I burn about 100 cals/per 10 minutes with a heart rate at about 160. It's probably possible, but I would say it sounds a little high.
  • K_Serz
    K_Serz Posts: 1,299 Member
    Options

I had a question about this last week and could have really used this calculation, LOL! Everyone says that heart rate monitors way overestimate the amount of calories burned when doing things like weight lifting. I wear mine during weight lifting just to be able to save the amount of time I worked out and also cuz I ususally do some cardio afterwards and I don't want to go have to put it on after lifting. Last night I lifted for 82 minutes. My heart rate monitor (Polar FT4) said that I burned 202 calories. If I use the calculation you provided and even pick the smallest modifier "Lighter weight lifting with moderate effort burns 0.028 calories per pound per minute." I get 351 calories... so I guess I'm confused. If my heart rate monitor OVERestimates calories burned, why is the number it gives me LESS than this calculation?

And to answer the OP, yeah I think something isn't right with the amount it said. 1,100 for under an hour of work seems almost impossible...

Last night my HRM said I burned 761. Using the Livestrong formula suggestion I came up with 639. I dont agree with the Livestrong calculation because it asks you to GUESS your level of effort.

What I have learned and what I LOVE about my heart rate monitor is that no matter how much I think I am pushing myself, the heart rate doesnt lie. Meaning, I have had workouts where I thought I was KILLING MYSELF lifting, and my heart rate never got over 155. Then there were times where I dont feel like I was under duress and it was around 190. I would err on the side of monitoring my bodys heart rate rather than my perception of workload.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/451897-how-to-measure-the-calories-burned-by-exercise/

Just to keep things similar with links to measuring, this is probably a more accurate way to measure calorie burn from an activity. I know my heart rate monitor doesnt measure my V02Max to set a baseline, but I think some out there do?
  • VonTinka
    Options
    Well when i didn't put my weight ect in i was burning 600-700 calories but when i put all my weight ect in it boomed. My heart was almost constantly at 180 never under 175 so i stayed at a high zone. Not sure though i will test it again when i go. I weight around 84 kg or 187 pounds i fluctuate sometimes.
  • eevincheezburger
    eevincheezburger Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Using one of the chest-strap HRMs, I log about 350-600 calories per workout in one hour (depending on what I do)./
  • VonTinka
    Options
    Thats the odd thing...it said i burnt 600-700 on factory settings...not sure what it is o.O
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I run about 25 miles per week and use a garmin with gps and heart rate monitor. Based on my height, weight and then HR- I trust this to be about as accurate as I can get. Every persons 'zones' as a HR level will be slightly different depending on age and resting HR. Even when I run at 85% hr consistently for an hour I have never seen my average burn go much above 10 calories per minute.
    The only thing I would feel it's not very accurate on is weight lifting because it goes based on HR for aerobic burn but who knows how much extra we burn afterwards and as our muscles repair and rebuild. If you're looking to lose weight then I would err on the low side and underestimate otherwise you may feel like you should be losing more.
    PS I don't believe in using the scale unless you at least measure inches with it and a rough estimate of body fat (caliper tested). Getting healthy is a tricky measurement and not best represented by a number on a scale.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    What kind of HRM do you have? 180 sounds very high...that's pretty much max HR for most unless you are an athlete. If I run a couple of miles at 5 MPH or so, my avg HR is around 140...something seems off here to me. You really shouldn't be working to max HR with frequency, it's not good for you. I would say you should either get your heart checked (possibly high resting HR/Hypertension or verify the accuracy of your HRM somehow...if you're really at 180 or so for average HR, you need to dial that back a bit. Really, you should only work to that level maybe once per week or so.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    How many calories do you burn in the gym?

Depends on how hot the girls are on the treadmills around me are.